• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Good Progress... Only Time will tell if it's fast enough.

Are you considering dismantling the HRE to allow for some consolidation in the Empire or how do you plan on handling this long term?

I just read your earlier aar as Castille spreading the True Faith. Prawnstar, what has become of you? He who used to make a WC as a side effect, in the middle of XVIII century, and starting in the middle of the bloody XV now struggles to repeat this task having a century more and without needing to convert all heathens.

Wait, you play on a different version now? :blink: Well this kind of explains this change of attitude, but I still hope you will repeat your achievement :D

FEEDBACK

Selenimar - I'll have the land they can keep the weather :)

homy_dog34 - I really hope it takes less than 100 years to get through the Nomads - I'll run out of Holy War targets without India.

Malurous - I suspect the Timurids will start losing land in the East once I really start to hurt them. Not great but fighting Hindustan across occupied Persia would be hard.

The gravel is a long way down the list on that house - it's a 'Project House' and there's months of work (£25k+ rewire, damp course, complete replaster, new central heating, some windows, knock down the garage which is dangerous, new ceilings due to water damage, new bathroom and toilet + new kitchen - although there are a lot of original features) on the interior to do first. Someone has already made an offer - which I can't do until I've sold mine - which isn't on the market yet! I'll monitor the situation as I'd want to pay at least £15k less than the asking price otherwise there'll be no equity uplift from the refurbishment. I know, very English, but a housing market recession does throw up value opportunities...

morningSIDEr - Not quite but in time :)

Legolas - I'm sure we can trust you to know the difference between winter where I live and winter in Russia!

The Arch Mede - I do have to scratch around for BB but war with Bohemia can wait until they are caught up in a war elsewhere and I've finished settling anything vulnerable - like Novgorod!

Chief Ragusa - The Orkneys can wait as I don't have a core yet :) Yes Bohemia is the big gamble - I really want them to get into a war with Milan.

Bamboozle - Looks like you spotted the short term plan.

no7892142 - Good point about the Horde; the Iroquois war was mad fun to play but if it had gone wrong it was lights out, goodnight and game over dude.

PiriReis - I won't start exploring until I have colonists available so after I've broke through the Timurids to India.

Fyregecko - Thanks, I'd like to be able to write something as funny as your AAR but I lack the talent :sad: I don't normally play this aggressively but the requirements of the house rules are pushing me - quite good really otherwise I'd be consolidating and boring stuff like colonising. Dog help me I might even start trading :eek:

Tver is now English owned although still Sunni - conversion fairly soon - within decades...

Rendap - It feels too slow but yes we won't know for quite a while yet :) Long term I find the HRE often sorts itself out...

Memento Mori - I know, it's all going downhill and I'm definitely getting worse at this game :)

zenjars - I have a core on Transylvania but going for it needs an opportunity.

Leonoob - I was planning on colonising to India, I'll need to make a decision at NI 5 if sailing there is the answer - I expect Hindustan has a really big navy and I'm crap with fleets.

Everyone if you want an AAR that is showcases some excellent gameplay AND is screamingly funny then Fyregecko's InTveresting Times is worth a read. :)

Please note the next update isn't very good, I've really struggled with both the game and the writing.

CHAPTER NINETEEN

With no immediate danger elsewhere it’s time to take advantage of that CB on Guyenne.

mihpj8.jpg

Late in May Guyenne is vasselised fulfilling my mission and bringing a 2 point infamy reduction.

acpkqu.jpg

France is peaced out days later for 97 ducats. In September I DOW the Sunni OPM of Georgia in the Gold province of Alania. In October I annex them. February 1514 and I DOW Sunni OPM Muscovy in Viatka. Marching times mean it takes longer than Georgia so annexation is in April. This also puts me into a war with Kazan a steppe nomad OPM.

By September 1515 BB is down to 5.59 / 23.00 falling at 2.10 a year. My truces with the various Arab states have ran out. But first a couple of interesting maps.

Greece and Anatolia

301kadh.jpg

Northern Russia

314rply.jpg

DOWs go in against Oman, Swahili and the Ottomans. I’m at war with:

1. The Golden Horde
  2. Kazan
  3. The Ottomans
  4. Oman
  5. Mali, Swahili, Najd and Yemen

January 1516 and I grab three provinces from Oman. The Ottomans are also peaced out for just over a 100 ducats.

1176a7p.jpg

The war with Swahili proves to be painful and drawn out - I’m still fighting in January 1517 when the next election comes around.

2j4ve4z.jpg

A diplomatic diplomat! Bit risky getting rid of an 8* diplomat but the 3* admin rating was causing me a lot of problems. Overextension and war exhaustion lead to revolts and economic weakness - and I can’t adopt the usual consolidation phase strategy. Admin 5 isn’t enough to get rid of overextension! At least I have better Admin and Diplo.

Swahili is finally annexed in May, that war ends soon after through a white peace with Mali. That’s just in time for the reappearance of the Timurids. I’m still some way short of the stop line against the Horde with seven provinces being settled and ten more to settle. I’ve sent one settler to Novgorod and otherwise left that province to defect in it’s own time. Why? Well it borders Bohemia so until it defects Bohemia is in a war with the Horde.

War with most of the remaining Nomads offers an interesting possibility.

2z71s3m.jpg

The Timurids concede defeat in December. The Jalayirids aren’t annexed until May 1517 after the first fortress assault on Baghdad fails - a result of the small 11,000 soldier stacks I use in the area to control attrition.

vfxrow.jpg

Little of interest happens until January 1521 when Holland accepts diploannexation at the third attempt. I have a Diplo 9 ruler and they had a Diplo 3.

20p52qx.jpg

By the summer of 1521 it’s time to start another round of Holy Wars. This will be a push to try and reduce Oman to a two province minor. Like Najd I need a navy to eliminate Oman (Zanzibar and Bahrain are both across straits so should be defended). Attacking the Ottomans also pulls in Najd and Brunei; attacking Oman, Yemen.

Najd and Yemen are quickly peaced out for their treasuries by storming their capitals.

November brings a big victory over the main Ottoman stack.

33neyh2.jpg

I was very nervous about this one - look at how close to defecting that province is! April 1522 sees a ‘Gift to the State’ - over 1800 ducats - badly needed as I’ve been minting to just keep the settlement drive going without loans. June and I make peace with Brunei and my diplomat finally dies! With 98% cultural tradition I can immediately hire a new 6* one. Knowing my diplomat could die at any time I’ve been hoarding cultural tradition for the last three decades!

By the start of December 1522 BB is down to 1.95 / 24.00 falling at 2.1 a year. My truce with the Timurids is up in days while I’m still at war with the Ottomans, Oman and of course the Horde - a war that started in 1481.

Well ... as long as they are at war with the horde , Bohemia won't start wars on their own , so they are neutralized ... but ... what was doing the main ottoman stack here? they marched through the timurids? :D

Running a bit low on targets lately? Considering to either sail around Africa for India or spearhead through the Timmies to get there to keep the holy wars going on? Or will you have enough targets in Africa/Middle East to keep your burn rate up till you can get there?

Of course you could also luck out and find that the Timmies have takes it all so you can colonize your way to China.

Phenomenal stuff. Can't say any more than that.

Good stuff, nice to see yet more rapid progress. Unsurprisingly the only defence which nations now have for the inexorable English advance is hiding behind terra incognita, and even that is not quite enough!

Last edited:
41 years vs GOLDEN HORDE:closedeyes:
Micro-management of WE is such a drag. You do it much better than I can:eek:

Persia "defionitely" exists, apparently. You seem to be doing well, otherwise.

Superb holding action against the Horde on the frontier as you move towards India.
I'm surprised that the Milanese are in the Balkans but really, you're leaving alot of the southern european regional players with slim pickings now that Africa is under the English boot.
Still, having seen a Castillian Archangelsk and a Breton Kola let alone a Ming Cairo:glare: I am not surprised by the AI's movement to pickup strange "novelty" provinces. Like yardsales, one mans trash is another's...sort of trash.
Good luck with the housing market opportunity...Made our move last year in a "heated" market and couldn't be happier. Even with no gravel.:rolleyes: