• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
You should try to get +5 narrow, -5 serfdom and trading in wine ASAP, it gives you negative stability cost most of the time, so recovering stab becomes a non-issue. I am also really scared of the inevitable war against bohemia, especially now when they have no enemies except you bordering them.

With an otherwise questionable economy, full narrowminded and serfdom would be a complete tech killer though...

With an otherwise questionable economy, full narrowminded and serfdom would be a complete tech killer though...
Oh yeah but I'm sure that it could be handled...somewhat. But cash flow would definitely suffer. PrawnStar would also find it crimping I think when it came time to deploy forces into Asia and keep the Europeans at bay. But, I guess we'll see

Minting ~10% of his income and taking National Bank (I don't think he has it yet) should be enough. A few points of inflation (<10%) are not a problem.

How can you manage to play a non-cheesy campaign in DW? I think you will be forced to concede the inevitability of Divine Wensleydale ere the end.

Is that the Thin Red Line down in the Crimea?

With constant badboy the only way to trade in wine is to own the provinces and the CoTs in question. Prawnstar what are your desired slider positions? I'm going to hazard a guess at As Centralised as possible (always best), Aristocracy (Cav and leader shock), Innovative (WE max +2 might be useful)??, If Innovative allows Serfdom without being too behind. Mercantilistic, (no point trying to trade abroad), slight def, heavy land since Europe will support tons of ships anyway and 1-2 Quality to ensure victories through Europe.

Of course given Prawnstar's history this is 90% bollox and he's going to win with full decntralised and switch to tribal to make it interesting.

Things are certainly starting to get more tense, which is very welcome! As ever I'm looking forward to seeing how you resolve matters, following a few dozen cups of tea I daresay.

AI Aragon is being competent! But yeah, I guess now that their allies are out, you'll be able to peace them out too. The cost has been high though.

Btw how come you were able to defeat the OE so easily? I didn't think you had more armies than the anti-GH one around that area.

With a 6 star advisor and a skill 8 military Monarch there is still hope for you :)

Sees cardinal flying around in red robe and an S on the chest :)

I have every faith that Prawnstar will prevail. It wouldn't be a PrawnstAAR if he didn't! :D

FEEDBACK

I've played the last update and the next update on the lowest speed with lots of pauses. Difficult, really difficult, to work out what to do and to track everything while frantially micromanaging unit routes and movement timings to minimise (unsuccessfully) war exhaustion. One of the hardest bits is sitting back and letting the AI swarm the border until you know where everything is before countering - one of the disadvatages of being outnumbered in any given theatre is that just charging headfirst will result in disaster - sooner or later you'll get stackwiped.

Franconian - I keep good relations with the Pope; Bohemia is a danger.

loki100 - It's proving very tricky at the moment for sure, I expect that I've missed a lot of tricks on the economic side being so focused on trying to get through the wars and rebels.

homy_dog34 - We won't know for another 320 years if it's a losing cause but the pace feels slow.

Selenimar - Thanks :)

Madbadger - The revolt risk is really hurting me foor cash - definitely - which in turn constrains most other things. As for rebels I'm getting some every month but so far they've not been too much of a problem.

sprites - Yes and that's a problem :(

EU3NOOB - All will be revealed :)

no7892142 - That's some of the answer...

Chief Ragusa - My King doesn't fight, precisely to aviod stab hits. A big win over Aragon will take a long time which means eating a lot of war exhaustion from ocupied provinces and possibly drawing more foes. That wiped army isn't half of the forces Aragon has in the field! Bohemia is getting large and as Emperor has a lot of manpower.

PiriReis - Bohemia is a concern while the Ottomans are doing OK - the Timurids are being pushed out of Anatolia.

blsteen - I decided to bulk up my forces a bit because of this dogpile even if the economy struggles.

Trinitrotoluen - Good call on the low legitimacy penalty and yes I need more troops!

Selenimar - The navy isn't bad just ran from one big battle to another without repairs or regaining morale.

dragonizer- Welcome along and yes there's a strong case for Noble Republic.

zenjars - Hello :)

Colonists are currently used for seizing Nomad lands - later (when the economy is stronger) I'll spam vast areas and let them grow naturally - LoO / full Narrowminded. I probably won't be doing much apart from Africa until 1600 or so. Missionaries are going very badly - I'm running three or four at a time mostly in cored North Africa but chances are low.

Malurous - I'm not that good a player I just pause a lot and have a cup of tea when other people rage quit :) There's no way I haver the flair with armies that say naggy shows. The tension between BB and WE is interesting, Improved Foraging just comes so late in the game!

MrQwerty - Patience is the thing, that and the tea drinking, So if you can't be patient pause and have a cuppa!

stnikolauswagne - Full Narrow and Serfdom - No. It hurts too much for tech speed. I'm looking at Full Free Cit / Full Narrow.

Malurous- Agree wiith that, everything needs balancing there's no perect setting.

blsteen - Getting a long way behind Europe on tech doesn't sound too good - happened in the test gane and I had a lot of pain.

Trinitrotoluen - I'm trying to avoid minting - not entirely successfully _ while I'm behind on tech. National Bank is a long way off if I take it at all - NI 7 at the earliest.

The Arch Mede - Wensleydale? I suppose the question is am I Walace or Gromit? Tricky. Haven't had any Wensleydale in ages, lovely with a slice of cake and a cup of tea.

Dauth - Sliders, Centralised, Full Narrow, Full Free Subjects, Full Mercantilist and Quality. I don't worry too much about the others- tbh I rarely worry much about sliders.

morningSIDEr - A bit of tension does help the AAR along doesn't it. I have no idea if I can do this so there sghould be tension for a few years yet.

Taylor - To beat the Ottomans I stormed their capital - this always makes the AI happier to negociate. That and their army being stuck at the other end of Anatolia fighting the Timurids :)

Surt - I'm OK with the Hope thing ;)

Arakhor & il_loco - I might prevail, I might not that's the point! I really don't know if I can pull off a no cheese WC - I doubt it but until I try...

CHAPTER FIFTEEN

So at the start of Henry the Seventh’s reign the English Empire is a mess. A weak monarch, overextended, raging war exhaustion, no money and Aragon occupying nearly every province in Iberia. Revolt risk is 2.8% in London and over twenty in recently conquered Sunni provinces. Would switching to a Noble Republic help? I’d gain +5 revolt risk going from +3 to -1 (remember stab levels under zero have +2 revolt risk) but… I’ll probably have a better Admin stat and lose overextension, I won’t have the 1.50 revolt risk nor the 0.5 intolerance of all faiths from low legitimacy and Noble Rep has +1 tolerance of heretics and heathens which are my problem provinces anyway.

The war situation - Aragon

66glts.jpg

Girona isn’t Navarra connecting my possessions in France and Iberia but it does give me a French port in the Med - this will help my troop movements a lot.

The war situation - Golden Horde

nyzlud.jpg

Only a couple of years - roughly - before peace.

So a decision to make but first, tea.

December 1492, peace with Aragon, the Legitimacy advisor fired and a month of minting to raise some funds. I won’t take the stab hits for the Government change until after the end of year tax - better at +3 stab then -1!

orr043.jpg

BB at 5.77 falling at 2.10 a year gives me a few months to restructure. I want to raise another 10-12,000 for service in the Middle East and a fifth 16,000 stack as a mobile reserve.

Noble Republic!

2q9jhhc.jpg

I went for the Diplomatic candidate and got an Administrator. Oh well it’s not all bad since I need lots of stability gain and war exhaustion reduction.

The BB position is now 5.24 / 21.00 falling at 2.10 a year.

Obviously this is a window of opportunity…

2rwlta0.jpg

The Swiss are quickly forced to peace - the only thing I want from them at the moment is my core and this war is the wrong CB. Holland on the other hand I do want things from - the COT in Antwerpen. Shame they have Land 15...

Peace with Holland - September 1493

2iv1k7q.jpg

Bohemia, having beaten Lithuania now has a border with the Horde again.

Peace with France - February 1494

241ouhx.jpg

This firms up my position in the Pyrenees. Foix is a vassal and OPM Toulouse is an English core - to be reclaimed next time I’m at war in the East. I have loads of rebels.

January 1495 Bohemia sends a warning… but shortly after gets caught up in another war.

April 1495 and Azow defects; the last of the targeted provinces. However, I now have to think about pushing on to keep Bohemia restricted - downer as I’d rather like to get out of this war!

eg1dax.jpg

The Timurids reappear in October and once again are bought off with an immediate concession of defeat. I’m not ready to fight them and I’d rather they weren’t distracted from the Ottomans.

At the end of the year I get back up to 0 stability and in March get a +1 stab event to get up to +1 overall.

June and Milan declares war!

2z7e58h.jpg

No real idea why other than I must look a bit weak right now. They’ve several allies but with the exception of Burgundy they’re all minors. The plan is to try and storm Burgundy’s capital to force them to make peace then pick off invasion forces. I’ve only actually got one 16,000 stack in the West having just relocated the other one to the Balkans as the Ottomans are guaranteeing some targets.

Dodging some 30,000 Burgundians I storm their capital Luxembourg and take their treasury for a very rapid peace. Still no idea what Milan is up to.

December 1496 and with BB low (3.81 / 21.00 falling at 1.80 a year) it’s time to get busy…

I DOW Adal, Hedjaz, Haasa and the Mamluks using the Holy War CB - only five revolts at the news!

So I’m at war with (and pay attention this bit gets busy):

The Golden Horde

Milan, Epirus, Naxos, Avignon, Genoa, Salzburg and Trier

Oman, Yemen, Ottomans and Hedjaz

Sharjah, Najd and Haasa

Mamluks

Swahili, Mali and Adal​

The objective is to annex all four of those Muslim minors.

Adal is annexed at the start of February and Milanese ally Epirus accepts a White Peace offer. My navy gets clobbered by Milanese galleys in the Med and the Horde has 12,000 soldiers left. The Ottomans peace out for their treasury in March after I storm Edrine before their armies make it back from pushing the Timurids out of Anatolia.

Yemen is peaced out two months later after their army is shattered. I need the force in the Horn of Africa back up the Nile as the whole place is swimming with Mamluks and rebels. Swahili also accepts a White Peace deal at the end of June. This is simply getting the number of foes down so I don’t attract DOWs. Aragon, Burgundy, France and Bohemia are all in other wars right now so I do have a window.

November brings another round of diplomatic action as Haasa is annexed and alliance leader Sharjah white peaced. Trier from the Milanese coalition is also peaced out at this time.

Russia - January 1498

2rwtg0h.jpg

Looks like Bohemia will grab a fair part of Western Russia including Novgorod and Kiev. I should get Moscow and points East.

It’s August before I can annex the Mamluks - getting an army through the rebels as far as Qatar was slow going.

Boundary dispute with Aragon - September 1498

20u3cx4.jpg

Yeah Baby! That’s a pretty near damn perfect province for a Boundary dispute as I need it to link my French and Iberian territories.

Milan makes peace in Jan 1499 although I have to concede defeat to get rid of them.

Hedjaz is annexed in May 1499 and Oman makes peace days later; I’m only at war with the Horde.

Post War Arabia

2vame4o.jpg

And then it’s January 1500 and a century into the game; time to take a look around the English Empire - next update!

BB is 6.15 / 21.00 falling at 1.80 a year.

I love the blistering pace of these games of yours. You've done a lot in a century, but what's your feeling on the world conquest at the end of the first quarter (more or less)?

I am not sure if I should feel sorry for you or your enemies.

Edit:

Attack Bohemia and let their lands rise up in revolts. Because you
a) have to do it sooner or later
b) I fear what Bohemia might do with more HRE power and
c) most of their lands should not yet be cored

oO the horde went north up to Novgorod? but if the remains of Novgorod are paying tribute you should be safe for the moment.

Bohemia would need a beating ... make them release Poland or Hungary!

I love the blistering pace of these games of yours. You've done a lot in a century, but what's your feeling on the world conquest at the end of the first quarter (more or less)?

This feels too slow but I'm going to keep trying. The Horde can't be more than a couple more decades of problem then I can get busy...

I am not sure if I should feel sorry for you or your enemies.

Edit:

Attack Bohemia and let their lands rise up in revolts. Because you
a) have to do it sooner or later
b) I fear what Bohemia might do with more HRE power and
c) most of their lands should not yet be cored

But if I cripple Bohemia who will be the end of game boss? ;)

oO the horde went north up to Novgorod? but if the remains of Novgorod are paying tribute you should be safe for the moment.

Bohemia would need a beating ... make them release Poland or Hungary!

Novgorod have broken tribute and attacked the Horde - I think the Horde is going down.