• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Three years until it all goes pear shape -in you own words. Right now, you are doing really well. Most of france is now yours. Time to finish off Iberia. Your going off again against the Mamluks. Going province to province with the Timurids would be a mistake. Taking Alexandria off the Mamluks was a mistake. It's that wealth that gives the Mamluks a chance against the Timurids.

A border with the Timurids is to be avoided, but are you looking at getting one with the Jalayirids or perhaps with one of the free nations in the Arabian peninsula (if there are any nearby)? Infamy's a tad low so maybe effective gains can be made there.

33o32o4.jpg

Have you considered hiring an advisor to incresase your legitimacy and your infamy limit?

Do you consider a WC to be a) Everyone dead or b) All provinces owned by you?

Seems to me you'll never stop colonialism from Europe... well unless you literally own the entire coast!

Are you not a fan of PU's, or just no opportunities yet? They're fantastic for BB-free conquest of Europe :)

Do you consider a WC to be a) Everyone dead or b) All provinces owned by you?

Seems to me you'll never stop colonialism from Europe... well unless you literally own the entire coast!

Are you not a fan of PU's, or just no opportunities yet? They're fantastic for BB-free conquest of Europe :)

He said in the first post that he would not abuse of PUs...

FEEDBACK

stnikolauswagne - Thanks for checking, Aragon is doing quite well at the moment. Not every update has a shocking twist - some are a bit dull :)

Chief Ragusa - The Timurids are getting tribute from most of the arab minors so hopefully I can control when I get a border with them - I am quite good at border control :) Land 18 looks about the perfect time but is probably later than I'd like.

Malurous - I intend to push into Arabia fairly soon.

blsteen - There are always enemies...

Zvetiki - The infamy limit isn't a big deal at the moment getting enough BB to have enough to burn is :) Better legitimacy would be good but I've wrecked it buying people out of wars.

Tudyboss - Not all dead yet but they won't get far :)

isansom -

WC = All provinces owned - colonising everywhere is easy if a bit tedious

It's perfectly possible to stop colonisation. Don't let anyone else explore and make sure when you explore every coastal province is settled within 50 years before map spread.

PUs fail the 'Cheese' test​

Duke of Britain - Quite right - an under the BB limit game is simple if you use the obvious exploits and as a result is fairly pointless as a challenge.

CHAPTER ELEVEN​

Before going any further lets talk strategy. This is pretty much the end of the beginning; the explorer/coloniser powers are either gone or crippled and the easy BB gains in North Africa are running out.

I now have three main concerns for the next 75-100 years:
  1. I need to make sure no one else takes the lands of the Golden Horde so I don’t have to pay BB to take that land later.
  2. I need to breakthrough the BB free monster that is the Timurids to get to the ‘Holy War’ rich areas of India and South East Asia for the run-up to 1650 when ‘Holy War’ ends.
  3. I need to keep finding targets for the ‘Holy War’ CB so I can take land cheaply

This will collectively be a challenge since I don’t have enough troops to do two of these at one time never mind all three. I don’t want to mint either since I’m already lagging in tech.

The Horde

Let me misquote the words of the Emperor Hirohito; “The war has developed not necessarily to our advantage”.

dmcuu8.jpg

The Horde is undoubtedly still powerful but is being pushed back by the Bohemians and Ottomans. There is a steadily opening Land Tech gap even if musket infantry aren’t deployed yet. That map does strongly suggest a case for intervention and the establishment of an English buffer zone. Of course the Horde is still strong enough to take land in some directions so maybe just cutting off Imperial Bohemia would be the answer…

The Timurids

They still reach all the way to India and only face a serious threat on a limited border with the Ottomans. Ideally they can left for a few decades until the Horde position is stabilised. However, I have to break through to get to the main area of ‘Holy War’ targets in Asia.

Holy War in the near term

There are four sets of Muslim provinces that I can reach that don’t involve going through Nomads first. Although ‘can reach’ and ‘easily reachable’ aren’t the same thing.

West Africa has 30 or more provinces that can be ‘Holy Warred’ but I have to find them. I’ve no intention of taking QftNW anytime soon so it’ll have to be done the hard way. I’ll build colonies until I reach Mali.

2vifuih.jpg

East Africa also has a decent number of provinces that can be taken. Again they need to be discovered but as it’s owned provinces all the way to Mutapa I can do it by ‘war time’ exploration.

2q827o7.jpg

Arabia also has a twenty or so provinces but the outcome of conquest will be a border with the Timurids.

xpa1k1.jpg

The final set of accessible Holy War provinces are in some ways the hardest; the Ottoman Empire.

2cy606o.jpg

I think, and I’m by no means certain, that the best course of action will be to cut the Ottomans off from the Horde and hope they push south to consolidate those Balkan and Greek minors. Anatolia will be ignored until I’m engaged against the Timurids and the border is no longer a potential problem.

It seems to me the most pressing thing would be to take budjak from the OE, then use that as a beachhead to cut off bohemia from the GH, as none of the other AI countries are likely to have the strength to make significant gains until the tech disparity becomes totally overwhelming. I am unsure about the Ottoman/Timurid problem, but I think Bohemia is far and away the biggest threat to your delicious bb-free horde lands--perhaps you can kill two birds with one stone, taking budjak (and maybe some other land) while beating up OE, so that Timmies can push even farther into Anatolia?

EDIT: Sry, misread, thought you were talking about cutting the OE off from the timmies, when it seems you were talking about cutting them off from GH. Most of what I said still stands though.

That seems like a formidable array of opponents. I wouldn't want to even think of doing what you're doing! :)

Looks like you have plenty of holy war targets left in east Africa and Arabia (you can probably get at least some of it without making a border with the Timurids). Once those are exhausted, are you going to take QFTNW? I'm a big fan of QFTNW, not for colonizing, but for invading the rich lands of India and Indonesia/Malaysia ruled by inferior tech group countries that you can stomp easily. Or are you going to break through the Timurids fast enough to get to India before running out of BB?

I agree that taking Budjak might be prudent. Take Budjak and then push northward into the Horde in order to create a wall between the GH and Europe. Could be problematic though, troop-wise, as you'd essentially have to weather a 130k man attack while still expanding in the south. If anyone can do that though, you'd be the man.

Might as well guarantee the Ottomans if you're interested in keeping them alive for now...tough that could give you problems in the near future if a dogpile happens when you can't afford it.

Yeah, Budjak seems like a good start point to start blocking the horde from Bohemia...tough if you could afford giving a very bad beating to Bohemia it could also work... (Try to become HRE soon? maybe diplo-vassalize the electors at some point where you have low infamy, before going back to conquering)

An interesting briefing. Known unknowns indeed...
The Budjak gambit is interesting but only if you can exploit it when you have a doomstack come calling. Plus if during the
fighting you significantly weaken the Otto's the Timmies will just push against the them creating the same scenario in Anatolia.

Perhaps once you reach Golden Horde, the best course of action would be paying them tribute? This way they will be stronger, allowing them to take provinces from Bohemia and you won't have to fight them every 5 years, which would either make them weaker or require you to commit armies and attention needed elsewhere?

Perhaps once you reach Golden Horde, the best course of action would be paying them tribute? This way they will be stronger, allowing them to take provinces from Bohemia and you won't have to fight them every 5 years, which would either make them weaker or require you to commit armies and attention needed elsewhere?

I agree; this would be an excellent way of keeping them strong but not a threat to you. However, there is the potential cost of the -2 stab hit...

Paying tribute to the GH would hurt his research situation even more.

The best type of action IMO would be to cut Bohemia down to size. In a war against England Bohemia should peace out with the Horde which prevents further colonization. Forcing them to release Hungary and freeing their vassals (looks like Brandenburg is one but they likely picked up others as well) should also make any repeat attempts harder. The other eastern nations look nicely beat up at least.

Getting a core somewhere in the area so that the mass colonization can start at an opportune moment would be a good idea though.