• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Nice to see your are "back" from Easter. Do we get a present from you? :D

CHAPTER FOURTEEN​

The war situation is quite tricky. I need 32,000 men in Ukraine to hold the Horde. Battles are going in my favour and the Lithuanians are ignoring me - we both have a more serious enemy. There’s also large naval battle raging off Andalucia as my navy intercepts the Milanese and Genoese fleets (70+ ships carrying 21 regiments. Also I’ve moved an army back to France so I’ve 32,000 there as well but I’m outnumbered 2:1 by the Burgundians and Milanese.

Lithuania accepts a white peace mid summer as the Horde’s armies head in their direction. I’m sitting in my new territories beating up Horde armies whenever they try and destroy my colonies. The Palatinate caught up in other wars also peaces out quickly. The war in France is very difficult as I manoeuvre to hit small or assault weakened enemy stacks throughout the year. I do have a lot of success but provinces keep falling and new enemy armies keep appearing.

Boundary Dispute with the Swiss - Feb 1490

fjdb35.jpg

Also shows how the borderlands with Burgundy have fallen.

The Ukraine - April 1490

1tv5sy.jpg

The seizure of Poltava leaves me only one province away from the Lithuanians who have reclaimed Minsk and sealed off the Bohemians. I still have several years of fighting the Horde ahead of me to get everything I want. Colonist income is 2.95 a year; 1 for Catholic, 1.65 for Nomad neighbours (the max I believe) and 0.3 from Lisbon, Andalucía and Alexandria.

Aragon attacks! June 1490

15n17oj.jpg

This is bad, I’m going to get hammered for war exhaustion here. The full set of enemies is Aragon, Sicily, Denmark, Sweden, Norway and Finland. I’m going to have to abandon the blockade of the Straits of Gibraltar to prevent ‘Viking’ invasions of England. It also changes the possible war objectives against Burgundy. I’ll make one last push to grab enough provinces to force Burgundy to concede something otherwise I’ll go for a white peace and head south.

By late summer I’ve stormed Burgundy’s capital and made just enough war score to grab my two cores. Very useful because it’s going pear-shaped in Iberia and England…

Peace with Burgundy - August 1490

2hy3us.jpg

War exhaustion is 8.17.

Here’s something interesting about Hordes.

2mynepj.jpg

Bohemia is still at war with the Golden Horde even though the only border is English occupied Chernigov - a province I’m settling. The cunning plan to keep Bohemia off my back is to ensure this is the last province I take before peace with the Horde. The Horde is ignoring me - I haven’t fought them in months after beating them senseless over the winter. Three days later scratch one cunning plan as the Horde concedes defeat to Bohemia.

The Timurids return to the scene as October starts but they aren’t doing too well right now. Only 120,000 troops with war exhaustion over 6 and 0% war capacity. They accept an immediate concession of defeat; that many hostiles makes an AI dog pile rather too likely.

The King is dead, long live the Regency Council!

343oo4n.jpg

OK this isn’t a great start to 1491 and several years without being able to start a war is a definite problem. Castile’s army was destroyed in the first few weeks and Aragon has been able to assault it’s way forward. The Isles are suffering multiple invasions and I’m starting to get rebel problems.

A year later and the war situation has got significantly worse. I’m losing but Aragon doesn’t want peace yet.

2duxwye.jpg

I have forced Denmark and Sweden out but with war exhaustion over 10 and steadily climbing I have endless rebels and can’t bring any troops to bear against Aragon. I’ve 16 regiments in France And another 16 operating with the fleet to drive back the Scandies. At least the Horde is in the middle of another TSC after the last Khan only managed a few years. BB is down to 1.7 and will probably run out. Sicily, Finland and Norway are peaced out early in 1492, costly in gold and prestige but it makes the war with Aragon a lot more manageable. I can finally concentrate two armies in France to try and kill that set of invaders. My problems are Aragon has insane morale 5.06 (how this early?) and a War God King (5/6/1/6).

Yemen declares war in April; I’ll probably have to ignore them as I’ve only one stack in the Middle East and half a dozen revolts to deal with. Bohemia as DotF is on my side although they don’t do much when the Ottomans join in.

Mid summer and a major victory at last…

2460680.jpg

I was on the defensive in the mountains. That Aragonese army is stack wiped in the next province and I finally grab a couple of their provinces including Barcelona before they can react. By October I’m down to 0.12 BB so I force the Ottomans to handover Burgas at 3BB - better an inefficient peace deal than running out of BB. I’m some way from getting any success against Aragon.

2430vph.jpg

November sees a couple of interesting things; Yemen accepts white peace and the King comes of age

izw5r7.jpg

Not that much use - but that’s monarchies for you. A four point stab hit to swap to Noble Republic isn’t great when I have 12+ points of war exhaustion. This happens as December starts.

2hwx8j.jpg

Taking four stab hits might actually reduce my revolt risk...

Ouch! You are only missing an excommunication and attack of Bohemia...

10+ WE, then your king dies, giving you 25 legitimacy (+4.5 RR vs 100) and Overextension (another +3) - its like your very own Tribal Succession Crisis. Only without the going away after two years part :cool:. Seriously, good luck fighting the rebels, I don't think anyone, anywhere has as much experience as you after Rebels without a Pause, but that still doesn't make it easy. Cash income must be getting hammered with RR so high.

I had thought that your greatest early danger was a long regency, but this short one is pretty challenging right now. I bet you'll give a long sigh of relief when you finally get positive stability after swapping to a republic :cool:

Decent enough military stats for your King. Over extension hurts with all that war exhaustion.

You've weathered the first major challenge. You took those cores off Burgundy, though Burgundy can still DoW you for theirs.
Now you have to pull those armies of yours around to defeat Aragon. Time enough to deal with revolters after the War King has been defeated.
4 provinces off them in peace adds to your BB. Navarra, Nice, the Baleares and Alicante takes away coastal provinces. The King may die in battle which could lose stability and delay the move to Noble Republic.

That's one scary looking Bohemia doing a number on Lithuania. Your wars with them are going to be interesting.

Ouch,
I'm not surprised the dogpile started with the English stretched so thin. Unfortunate that the RN couldn't keep the Isles free at least but not overly surprising with the number of enemies that would have somewhat decent sized and crewed navies. At least the Eastern Front is well in hand until Bohemia decides to challenge English superiority in the region.

He goes Noble, -4 Stab (aka +5RR).
He chooses the ADM leader and gets rid of the Overextension modifier (-3RR).
In the end, he'd have 2RR more, BUT would be a republic and would have gotten rid of that nasty modifier for now.

He also loses the penalty for having low legitimacy so at least he shouldn't be worse off. And that switch has to happen sometime.

Also England needs a bigger army. :)

My two cents go Noble Republic. Fixes alot and no more Regency. And lots of tea I use Mtn dew and a cig.

Last edited:
Hello, I'm loving your AAR so far. Subscribed!!

I'm having a few questions:
1. How will you colonize, mass spam of colonist, max narrowminded and Land Of Opportunity? Or will you focus on few provinces at the time.
2. Will you build cot in London for additional +0.1 colonist? Will you warn Holland so you might get CB and take Antwerpen?
3. How much do you pay for missionaries

Anyway, you are doing a great job and I'm loving your WC AAR from past.

I'm sure you were already aware that you aren't completely omnipotent in all things EU III, but it's kind of you to give us readAARs a reminder for a change. ;) Nah seriously, now that you got Burgundy and the Scandinavians out of the picture the worst should be over as far as enemies go. Domestic matters are another thing...

The balance between gaining infamy and losing WE should make for some interesting juggling in the near future.

That last update read as an incredible challenge; most certainly something I wouldn't have the patience to put up with yet :D . But I too believe you should become a noble republic as long as it doesn't cause significant damage. That, and you'll have to find some more money for more men. Good luck.