+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 96 1 2 3 11 26 51 76 ... LastLast

Thread: The Historic Inevitabilty of Epic Failure

Crusader Kings IIEuropa Universalis: ChroniclesEU3 CompleteHearts of Iron IIIEuropa Universalis: Rome
    Victoria 2EU3 Collectors EditionEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-order

The Historic Inevitabilty of Epic Failure

Introduction

So here we are again with the start of another PrawnStar AAR. Iím playing England (with tag hop to Great Britain) and the challenge this time is to see how well I can do at a Ďno cheeseí World Conquest while staying under the BB limit. By no cheese, I mean no deliberate PUs, cored vassal release, HRE inheritance or ahistorical tag hops. If you see anything you think is cheesy as opposed to cunning call me out on it. This one is DW5.1 1399 start on Very Hard with Lucky nations to Random. Other than that no mods, tweaks or changes from vanilla. Usual house rules such as no declaring war while I have troops in the targetís territory.

If youíre new to reading my stuff itís usually reasonably detailed game play reporting focused on trying to do something on the edge of whatís possible. Shout if you want any particular detail or have questions and Iíll do my best to answer. Please be aware update schedules may be slower than my previous 3 - 4 updates a week as I now have a lot more demanding job.

Iíve played a test game and fell a long way short. Hopefully Iíll do better this time but if I donít make it I donít make it.

Apparently I need to buy some more gravel.

My AARs: EU3 England, Golden Horde, France, Iroquois, Castile / EU2 Finland / My Inkwell

"Sunset Invasion isn't ASB - it's just Prawnstar playing CK2" Athalcor
    "If EU3 had exiled prawn-like aliens he'd be the first one to do a WC with them..." aldriq
    "You were prawn under a conquering stAAR!" Arakhor

Crusader Kings IIEuropa Universalis: ChroniclesEU3 CompleteHearts of Iron IIIEuropa Universalis: Rome
    Victoria 2EU3 Collectors EditionEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-order

Chapter One

Iím not going to show you Englandís start position. Itís in the usual place with Europe off to one side. There are a couple of interesting points thoughÖ

This is the optimum starting mission. The Conquest CB is 25% infamy for annexation so four OPMs can be taken out for 8BB with immediate cores to follow. In itself thatís a pretty good deal but thereís another benefit. The first Irish OPM should be possible to knock out in a matter of months so England can start earning BB fast - every month without BB to burn is a month wasted.

The King is a diplo 4 muppet and the best available diplomat is only 2 star. Iíve poor cultural tradition so Iíll wait until Iíve seen what turns up in a yearís time before trying to recruit better. France is the main near term target. England starts with 5 cores on the mainland and thereís a mission to give cores on all of Northern France. Of course Burgundy, Castile and Portugal all need stopping before they hit their stride colonising or the BB cost of defeating them goes through the roof.

Opening moves include raising some more infantry, moving the troops around London over to Dublin and guaranteeing Granada. Three days inÖ

Time to knock Castile around a bit, although I intend to ignore them for the first couple of years.

Late November brings a DOW on Tyrone using the cheap Conquest CB. I work my way around Ireland in the next couple of years.

Tyrone is annexed April 1400 to start the BB burn process. Leinsterís DOWed in the summer and annexed in early 1401.

14th October 1400

Itís Munsterís turn for war in April 1401. Magistrates finally climb over three so I can take the very useful ĎFlorentineí cultural decision.

Munster falls in December 1401 and Connaught is DOWed bringing in Brittany - some thought needed here as itís 4BB to vassalise Brittany and they may be useful against FranceÖ

The war with Castile turns interesting in Spring 1402 as my troops land in Iberia (18k vs. Castileís 32k). After inconclusive skirmishing I up the ante successfully calling my allies to war; Aragon and Portugal. Connaught finally falls in June 1403; Brittany is white peaced shortly after. I need the troops against Castile.

Henry IV dies that autumn fighting in northern Castile. His son is a point better on the diplo stat and a pretty good looking general!

Who da man?

Castileís in a spot of bother here. By early 1406 Aragon has peaced out but most of Castile is under siege and BB has dropped to under three so Iím looking at optionsÖ

Tunisia joins Granada and Portugal takes the chance to bail out of the war with Castile.

1407 and things are looking up with Castile and Granada entirely under siege. Provinces fall slowly but steadily throughout the year until July.

Oh.

Apparently I need to buy some more gravel.

My AARs: EU3 England, Golden Horde, France, Iroquois, Castile / EU2 Finland / My Inkwell

"Sunset Invasion isn't ASB - it's just Prawnstar playing CK2" Athalcor
    "If EU3 had exiled prawn-like aliens he'd be the first one to do a WC with them..." aldriq
    "You were prawn under a conquering stAAR!" Arakhor

Arsenal of DemocracyCities in MotionCities in Motion 2Crusader Kings IICommander: Conquest of the Americas
    Darkest HourEU3 CompleteFor the MotherlandHearts of Iron IIIHearts of Iron III Collection
    HOI3: Their Finest HourHeir to the ThroneImpireIron CrossVictoria: Revolutions
    Semper FiSengokuSword of the Stars IISupreme Ruler 2020 GoldSupreme Ruler: Cold War
    StarvoidVictoria 2Victoria II: A House DividedVictoria II: Heart of DarknessMount & Blade: Warband
    Warlock: Master of the ArcaneWar of the RosesPride of NationsCK2: Holy Knight500k club
    Europa Universalis IV: Pre-order

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by PrawnStar View Post
    Oh.
    shit

LOL, subbed

Crusader Kings IIDeus VultEuropa Universalis 3Europa Universalis: ChroniclesEU3 Complete
    Divine WindFor the MotherlandHearts of Iron IIIHeir to the ThroneEuropa Universalis III: In Nomine
    EU3 Napoleon's AmbitionSemper FiSengoku500k club

A new Prawnstar AAR! I subscribe at the speed of light! Glad to see you're back in section!

What's your mission after the irish one? Vassalize Scotland?

200k clubHoI AnthologyArsenal of DemocracyCities in MotionCrusader Kings II
    Darkest HourDeus VultEU3 CompleteDivine WindFor the Motherland
    Hearts of Iron IIIHeir to the ThroneEuropa Universalis III: In NomineMagickaEU3 Napoleon's Ambition
    Victoria: RevolutionsEuropa Universalis: RomeSemper FiSengokuSword of the Stars
    Victoria 2Victoria II: A House DividedVictoria II: Heart of DarknessRome: Vae VictisCK2: Holy Knight
    EU3 Collectors Edition500k clubEUIV: Call to arms eventEuropa Universalis IV

Can it really be? A new PrawnStar AAR? I'll definitely be following!

Crusader Kings IIEuropa Universalis: ChroniclesEU3 CompleteDivine WindHeir to the Throne
    Rome GoldEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-order

Huzzah, PrawnStar AAR. Following.

What was your opening slider move? centralization?

If I may parrot everyone else, OMG AT LAST A PARWNSTAR AAR I CAN FOLOLW FORM TEH BEIGNING HUEHUEHUE

Anyway, I think the whole "Guarantee Granada to immediately pwn Castille" maneuver is pretty cheesy...

Your Golden Horde AAR has inspired me to counter the threat of the Golden Horde and play as Muscovy

Europa Universalis: ChroniclesDivine WindHeir to the ThroneRome GoldVictoria 2

nice, i love your WC aars. (as in all of them)

Crusader Kings IIDarkest HourEuropa Universalis: ChroniclesFor the MotherlandHearts of Iron III
    Semper FiVictoria 2Victoria II: A House Divided

Yaaaaay a new PrawnStar AAR! And in DW! So subbed.
    The Chronicles of the Norse - A Jorvik AAR (CK2, active)

Pine, Bamboo, and Plum - A Song AAR (EU3 MEIOU, dead for foreseeable future)
    Winner: Weekly AAR Showcase 11/20/11 - Character Writer of the Week 12/4/11, 10/7/12 - AARland Choice AwAARd Q4 2011, Q3 2012

People's Commissar of the Navy Demi Moderator Avindian's Avatar
    Crusader Kings IIDarkest HourDeus VultEU3 CompleteDivine Wind
    For the MotherlandHearts of Iron IIIHOI3: Their Finest HourHeir to the ThroneLeviathan: Warships
    March of the EaglesVictoria: RevolutionsRome GoldSemper FiSengoku
    Sword of the Stars IISupreme Ruler: Cold WarVictoria 2Victoria II: A House DividedVictoria II: Heart of Darkness
    V2 BetaCK2: Holy Knight500k clubEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-orderEUIV: Wealth of Nations
    EUIV: Conquest of Paradise

Hurray! Excited to see your triumphant (?) return
    AARland Awards TsAAR -- Q2 ACAs here! Be sure to check out the winners! Crusader Kings II|Europa Universalis IV|Victoria II|Hearts of Iron 3|Darkest Hour

Consecrated blood waters my fields: a Hvitserk megacampaign -- Brand new!
    Sonderweg oder Anderweg? -- Part 3 of the Hohenzollerns Megacampaign -- Interactive and looking for players
    Tukhachevsky's Army and the Politburo -- an Interactive Soviet TFH AAR -- Updates|Administration -- Nearing its thrilling conclusion!
    Like what you see? Check out my Inkwell for awards and completed AARs!

If I use this color, I am speaking as a Demi-Mod. If you have any questions, please PM me directly. Forum Rules|Interactive AARs|AARland Rules #1|AARland Rules #2

The Guardian of Divergences Athalcor's Avatar
    Cities in MotionCrusader Kings IIDeus VultDungeonlandEU3 Complete
    Divine WindHeir to the ThroneLeviathan: WarshipsMarch of the EaglesSengoku
    Sword of the StarsThe Showdown EffectVictoria 2Victoria II: A House DividedVictoria II: Heart of Darkness
    Warlock: Master of the ArcaneWar of the RosesCK2: Holy Knight500k clubTeleglitch: Die More Edition
    Europa Universalis IV

Woooot!
    All Hail Britannia - a V2 AAR - awarded the Weekly AAR Showcase on 6/15/14, came 2nd in the 2014 Q2 ACAs.

Will mod for food. Last meal for [MiniMod] Holy Britannian Empire Formation.

My two other shamefully abandoned AARs...(there is also a third one hiding in the corners of the V2 AARland, not even worth linking)

Rome GoldWarlock: Master of the ArcanePride of NationsRise of PrussiaCK2: Holy Knight

squeels with excited joy ... another epic to enjoy, along with excellent gameplay and humour

pity the French got so antsy so early though
    Remember, whatever the question, the answer on 18 September is Yes ...

Target of a Coalition Trinitrotoluen's Avatar
    Divine WindFor the MotherlandHearts of Iron IIIEU3 Napoleon's AmbitionVictoria 2
    EU3 Collectors Edition500k clubEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-orderEUIV: Wealth of NationsEUIV: Conquest of Paradise
    EUIV: Res Publica

Should be interesting to watch to see if it is doable considering your house rules. What will your future government choices look like? Noble Republic early on for the BB burn and later Absolute Monarchy for the Imperialism CB?

The French DOW is not that big a problem though as long as RR stays under control. After taking lands off Castille at 4 BB / province PrawnStar should be happy for the opportunity to gain a few 0 BB provinces from France while his BB score can go down. I've also heard the Occupy Paris mission is nice during that time of the year.
    Technology isn't intrinsically good or evil. It's how it's used. Like the Death Ray.
    - Professor Hubert J. Farnsworth

Modern Psycho-General CivandEUIII's Avatar
    Crusader Kings IIDarkest HourEU3 CompleteDivine WindHearts of Iron III
    Heir to the ThroneMagickaMarch of the EaglesRome GoldSemper Fi
    SengokuSword of the Stars IIVictoria 2Victoria II: A House DividedVictoria II: Heart of Darkness
    Rome: Vae VictisMount & Blade: WarbandWarlock: Master of the ArcaneMount & Blade: With Fire and Sword500k club
    Europa Universalis IV: Pre-orderEUIV: Wealth of NationsEUIV: Conquest of ParadiseEUIV: Res Publica

subbed for this IS PrawnStar we're talking about

Also hugely relieved this did not end with the report "The Three Mountains achievement broken. Steps to reproduce: ..." - Rufo
    "I pity the fool who has to fill out 272 years of Indian history." - Cuthuthulu
    "
    (Wouldnt Hitler look much friendlier with curls and that silly mustache shaved off?)" - podcat
    "
    This ascii art is terrible." - Jacob Braughton on titin

Argentina Delenda Est Tanzhang (譚張)'s Avatar
    Arsenal of DemocracyHearts of Iron 2: ArmageddonCities in MotionCrusader Kings IIDarkest Hour
    Deus VultEast India CompanyEU3 CompleteDivine WindFor The Glory
    Hearts of Iron IIIHeir to the ThroneIron CrossMarch of the EaglesVictoria: Revolutions
    SengokuVictoria 2Victoria II: A House DividedVictoria II: Heart of DarknessRome: Vae Victis
    Mount & Blade: WarbandMount & Blade: With Fire and SwordPride of NationsCK2: Holy Knight500k club
    Europa Universalis IV: Pre-orderEUIV: Call to arms event

Refusing to Play Between Dream and Reality...
    Good luck PrawnStar... Not that you need it!
    Loyal we Began, Loyal we Remain: A History of the British Empire After the Great War
    A New Canadian Kaiserreich AAR for Darkest Hour [KR 1.5]
    Winner of: AARland Choice Awards Q1 2014

From Eagle to Phoenix: The Rebirth of the Roman Republic
    A New Roman Republic AAR for Europa Universalis IV
    Winner of: WritAAR of the Week: 08/09/2013, Weekly AAR Showcase: 13/10/2013, Best Character Writer of the Week 01/12/2013, AARland Choice Awards: Q3/4 2013

- I was Fan of the Week: 01/01/2012 and 26/05/2013 and WritAAR of the Year: 2013 ~ Proud recipient of two Kenshin Cookies ~
    - ~ More AARs avaliable at my Inkwell! (硯臺) ~ -

EU3 CompleteEuropa Universalis: Rome

A PrawnStar aar? With a chance to subscribe on the first page? The last time somebody had a chance like that was when Ireneusz Jeleń had a 1 on 1 with a Portugese goalkeeper about half an hour ago in some obscure football sparring match... unlike him I will gladly utilise this chance to the fullest

Europa Universalis 3EU3 CompleteDivine WindFor The GloryHearts of Iron III Collection

Quote Originally Posted by Memento Mori View Post
    A PrawnStar aar? With a chance to subscribe on the first page? The last time somebody had a chance like that was when Ireneusz Jeleń had a 1 on 1 with a Portugese goalkeeper about half an hour ago in some obscure football sparring match... unlike him I will gladly utilise this chance to the fullest
    Ok then... whistles quitely
    Unfortunately since the romp with the Golden Horde completed I have moved properties and left my ornamental white gravel behind. Still I am all in for another PrawnStar battle royale! Even if he has to work it in with the demanding job.
    I was Sir blsteen, Knight of the Eastern West... in :One Last HurRAAh: A Milanese Empire Interactive AAR:

I was FOTW 11/25/09 and 9/12/10

Crusader Kings IIDeus VultEU3 CompleteDivine WindFor the Motherland
    Hearts of Iron IIIHOI3: Their Finest HourHeir to the ThroneSemper FiVictoria 2
    Victoria II: A House DividedVictoria II: Heart of Darkness500k clubEuropa Universalis IV

Blog Entries
    I look forward to seeing you pull this off.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 96 1 2 3 11 26 51 76 ... LastLast