• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
1497-1498 : The war with Bohemia ends

Since Army is at full maintenance, a campaign is started against the Maya, maybe they can give us something.
EU3_1670.jpg

While in Bohemia we catch another stack in Silesia.
EU3_1675.jpg

The stack is defeated and other provinces fall.
EU3_1683.jpg

EU3_1685.jpg

And in July 1497, peace is made. Bohemia releases Brandenburg.
EU3_1688.jpg

EU3_1689.jpg

A loan is repaid. Meanwhile our campaign against the Maya is going well.
EU3_1691.jpg

Regrettably, I don't want to incorporate new provinces now, since I have no missionaries to convert them and some provinces to convert first. So they get away with little.
EU3_1697.jpg

Castille makes peace with the Sokoto as well, so we are at peace again.
EU3_1706.jpg

But it does not last long. Syria calls us to arms.
EU3_1707.jpg

Meanwhile we send some troops to clear the Ivory Coast, since the natives makes colonization hard.
EU3_1708.jpg

EU3_1712.jpg

Castilla is expanding in Africa
EU3_1713.jpg

We gain another 1 narrowminded...
EU3_1718.jpg

And Ivory Coast is successfully colonized. Mission accomplished.
EU3_1719.jpg

The next mission is colonize Gabon.
EU3_1720.jpg

1498-1500 : War against the Hansa

Well, you know the routine. Clear the province, send the colonist.
EU3_1726.jpg

Meanwhile another colony in the Caribbeans is founded, Saint Thomas.
EU3_1732.jpg

Nav Tech 11 is researched and we are called to arms again by Castille.
EU3_1737.jpg

Somehow we botch colonization in Gabon, we didn't kill all natives and then we came back to Gabon to kill the rest, but it was too late. Oh well.
EU3_1740.jpg

Meanwhile we keep converting the heathens.
EU3_1748.jpg

The second colonization attempt succeeds. Gabon is colonized and we gain one colonist. Next mission will be vassalize Urbino.
EU3_1750.jpg

Of course we need some infamy first to burn, and we declare war on the excommunicated Hansa, calling all of our allies to arms.
EU3_1756.jpg

We send our troops to the far North.
EU3_1760.jpg

Meanwhile Castille makes peace with the Mameluks.
EU3_1767.jpg

Success made us overconfident. We sent our troops to the north peacemeal and without preparation.
EU3_1772.jpg

And we get ingloriously defeated in Lübeck.
EU3_1774.jpg

What happened to Venice's high morale ? We discover in horror that the Hansa has a land technology of 14 and can build Landsknechte, while our land technology still lags at ten!
What a noob !
EU3_4405.jpg

Meanwhile the strategic Bermuda island is also colonized.
EU3_1779.jpg

The troops we sent to the north aren't enough to defeat the Hansa, so we send reinforcements by sea.
EU3_1780.jpg

The Portuguese meanwhile are sieging Bremen and we make a landfall in Hamburg.
EU3_1782.jpg

The second battle of Lübeck has the same result as the first. Another inglorious defeat. But at least we know the reason now.
EU3_1785.jpg

Catastrophe is about to strike us. Our army is about to be routed in Lauenburg.
EU3_1788.jpg

But thanks to our allies occupying some Hansa dominions, we still manage to get a peace from the Hansa. We are victors, although undeservedly.
EU3_1789.jpg

We need to improve our land technology. That was a costly mistake. Venice isn't invincible after all.
EU3_1790.jpg

Interesting and enjoyable read - although I don't think I could bring myself to take that many loans!

The colonisation race will be interesting once mapspread kicks in.

The Hansa gave you a nice beating ... :/ That is the issue with fighting the german minors: they always have tech X+10 with X being our tech level ;)

BTW, from some time ago you have the decent chance of integration button on. Who can you integrate ? Anyway, I suppose you are waiting for a mission about it to appear ...

Might be a little too late, but neglecting minting will hurt you more than lagging a bit in tech. Shame how each colony counts as a full province making teching horrible as a colonizer, esp. with full narrowminded being very recommended. In my current Aachen game i have completely lost track after colonizing north america, and i don't i will change course until i move overseas.
On another note, whats up with keeping castille around as an ally? wouldn't abonining them making your life a bit more easier since they might be wanting a bite out of NA

We are victors, although undeservedly.

there is nothing to apologize for, a very strong roleplaying perspective would be needed to accept defeat just because one 'deserved it' :) at least history is full of 'undeserved victories' and the like...

This was quite fun to read, I have just one question, though...

Y U NO CONQUER JERUSALEM???

I mean, this is the first thing I ever do if I would need a few missionaries, perhaps the province is mediocre, but it does spare you all of these narrowminded technology lagg. It is also right there, on the coast, a part of your weakened long-time enemy. Actually, it's almost a miracle that Castille did not get it yet, and ignoring divine signs could not end well...

Other then that, did you edit out all the build manufactury x in province y missions? If not, once you reach sufficient technology, your vassal rush might be over :(

Hi everybody, thank you for your feedback.

PrawnStar: I am glad that you like it. Taking too many loans is probably a flaw in my game, I am not exactly proud of that. I should set some hard limits on myself to fight that.
Ricardo Rolo: Exactly, I am not keen on annexing without a mission or a core. That would not be a problem anyway, since I have a very high diplomatic score.
Poulern : About Castille : so many people keep telling me that I should let Castille go... that I am convinced! I guess Venice and Castille will each have to fight their own wars.
vasziljevics: I am actually annoyed at myself for forgetting to check my enemy's technology level and assuming I would crush them easily.
Memento Mori: Thank you for your tip about Jerusalem, I'll try and conquer it. But I am not editing out the "build manufactory" missions, that would be cheating :)

1500-1501 : War with Inca and Bavaria. The Reformation begins.

Meanwhile, our colony in Ilheus becomes a city. We duly queue a fort.
EU3_1791.jpg

And Porto Rico is successfully colonized.
EU3_1797.jpg

An event makes us lose 200 ducats and we have to take another loan!
EU3_1799.jpg

Cremona becomes a core. Barbados has also meanwhile been colonized.
And in October 1500 we dissolve the alliance with Castille at last. Castilla and Venice will go each their own way.
EU3_4411.jpg

We still need some infamy. The truce with Inca has run out. War is declared on them.
EU3_4446.jpg

And the -5 inflation event hits us when we have a little over 4% inflation. Not the best of time, but now we have 0 inflation.
EU3_4447.jpg

Our allied Würzburg is attacked by Bavaria and we help them.
EU3_4448.jpg

Zero inflation. I notice I need more ships for tariffs. Barques will do.
EU3_4449.jpg

We attack Bavaria's main stack in Augsburg.
EU3_4453.jpg

EU3_4456.jpg

Not sure why, but I can actually annect Inca's capital - but not other provinces. The Inca cede Cuzco.
EU3_4458.jpg

EU3_4460.jpg

Meanwhile we advance in Bavaria.
EU3_4462.jpg

EU3_4420.jpg

And we help Würzburg get rid of the Bavarians in their territory.
EU3_4422.jpg

We are not interested in prolonging this war and we white peace.
EU3_4424.jpg

But before August 1501 is over, news reaches us that the Protestant Reformation has begun. Things will never be the same.
EU3_4425.jpg

No, the month is not over yet, and another ally - Syria - calls us to arms. I STILL have too many allies.
EU3_4415.jpg

Let me guess... the first province you clicked on was Cuzco, right? If the capital is not bordering any other province or having water access to it, you can either ask for just the capital or everything except the capital.

Cuzco, nooooooo!!! ;)

Pretty nice to have zero inflation considering how worrying it was at one point. Hopefully you can keep minting and loans under control now so you can start catching up on tech. Of course, the colonies might delay things but that's inevitable.

Let me guess... the first province you clicked on was Cuzco, right? If the capital is not bordering any other province or having water access to it, you can either ask for just the capital or everything except the capital.
Nice, i didn't know that. It actually suits me, since Cuzco was their only gold province left.

Pretty nice to have zero inflation considering how worrying it was at one point. Hopefully you can keep minting and loans under control now so you can start catching up on tech. Of course, the colonies might delay things but that's inevitable.

I hope so, I will have to restrain myself though...

Venice is my favorite nation to play in italy :)

1502-1504 : Wars with Kongo, Hurons and Mayas. Urbino vassalized. Thalassocracy..

We declare a holy war on Congo instead of answering Syria's call to arms. By 1502 troops arrive there
and advance into Congo.
EU3_4434.jpg

In May 1502 we can move a slider. We go naval.
EU3_4436.jpg

Which allows us to become a Thalassocracy. 0.5 colonists more a year and cheaper ships.
EU3_4438.jpg

Meanwhile another army discovers the Huron.
EU3_4464.jpg

We declare war on them as well, we may get some money from them.
EU3_4468.jpg

And we keep advancing into Congo as well.
EU3_4476.jpg

But their provinces are not that interesting and this time we just ask for some money and prestige.
EU3_4477.jpg

We declare war on the Maya as well.
We peace the Hurons for a little money.
EU3_4489.jpg

EU3_4490.jpg

Prod tech 11 is resarched. Two stacks clear the Maya territory.
EU3_4503.jpg

We don't annex all of their provinces, because of several constraints (missionaries, infamy).
EU3_4506.jpg

Regrettably my addiction to loans is hard to kick. I take a loan so that I can start build forts in the new provinces. I can then pay two small outstading loans, from the time before the "National Bank" event.
And we move on to fulfill our mission - vassalize Urbino.
EU3_4511.jpg

The war is uninteresting and Urbino is soon vassalized. 2 infamy is lost.
EU3_4519.jpg

Next mission will be incorporate Croatia. Not the mission I hoped for, they are a different culture group than Venice and I would prefer them as a vassal, but ok.
EU3_4520.jpg

Provinces meanwhile keep getting converted. But since I hate revolts with a passion, I hire a judge.
EU3_4530.jpg

But I find out another decision is available, the Conventicle act. That will get me more missionaries. I am still planning to conquer Judea as well, as soon as the truce with the Mameluks runs out.
The Conventicle act is passed.
EU3_4536.jpg

Last edited:
it seems the natives are not as rich as they used to be a some time ago :)

question: how is your trade league going? I imagine with all these wars there is a significant fluctuation among the members.

How did you go from 192 gold to over 1847 between July and August 1505?

How did you go from 192 gold to over 1847 between July and August 1505?

I am afraid I took a loan, I was in a hurry to build forts in the newly conquered provinces. My loans are now big because of the -5 inflation event. That's an habit which is hard to kick for me :(

it seems the natives are not as rich as they used to be a some time ago :)

question: how is your trade league going? I imagine with all these wars there is a significant fluctuation among the members.
I will show you in the next update :)