• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Smart move going to mercantilism, being so large seems to make everyone envy you and that decreases your trade chances significantly even with low infamy. At least that is my experience, and it is kinda annoying.

Thx. I have given up trading in foreign COTs a while ago. The biggest problem is that owning uncored COTs gives you a 15% penalty when trading in foreign COTs. Venice gets also embargoed by other Merchant Republics, including Lübeck, who owns the richest COT in the game. Free trade is great for countries like Holland, Mecklemburg and Navarra, but otherwise...

Well done all things considered - that was quite a coalition you were up against at one point. The colonial race is certainly looking worse for Spain now.

It's typically not a good idea to fight without a general. Even a bad one can make somewhat of a difference and those are easy enough to get...
Thank you , I will remember that.

1531-1534 : Preparation and Resumption of war

Everybody in Venice was aware that another conflict with Spain would be inevitable. The Doge told the Council of Ten that since Spain didn't station troops in America, they didn't deserve to keep their colonies. It was Venice's duty to seize them and protect the Iberian Christians from the natives, since Spain and Portugal were failing to do that. The bishops, who were controlling the Vatican, were told that Spain even deserved to be excommunicated for that. They didn't do that, but that was an option that needed to be considered.
We had money now, because of the loan that would have to be repaid eventually. But it was imperative to reinforce Venice's military. The army would reach the force limit, level 2 forts, armories and training camps would be built, especially in Italy, and generals and admirals would be recruited.
Anyway, we grab a province from Kongo.
EU3_647.jpg

And we sell Graz to Styria for 0 gold.
EU3_649.jpg

So in March 1531, this is the situation in South America.
EU3_655.jpg

And we get another casus belli with Spain, a core on Luanda.
EU3_657.jpg

In Great Britan, meanwhile, religious turmoil is under way after they converted to the Reformed faith. Our relation with them has gone down the drain. But as long as they are weak they won't be a threat. But we will have to keep an eye of them.
EU3_658.jpg

Religious map of Europe in April 1531.
EU3_659.jpg

In August 1531, Mahican turns into a city and our mission is accomplished. The prize is meager, but we will get another mission.
EU3_661.jpg

... Fortify Mahican. Easy mission, meager prize.
EU3_662.jpg

In November 1531, we gain a core on Macedonia, which makes Byzantium a first candidate for diplo-annexion.
EU3_667.jpg

We are hit by an event which can reduce land tradition by 20% and increase naval by 10%. Before we accept, we recruit two other generals. Maybe we will have more success with Spain in the next war.
EU3_675.jpg

We now have three mediocre generals (+ the doge) and two good admirals.
EU3_678.jpg

In September 1532, the fort in Mahican has been built and we get the next mission, build a level 2 fort in Kozani. I guess I get these missions because my army tradition is very low.
EU3_676.jpg

In September 1535, this mission is accomplished and we have to improve relations with Morea. Then we have to build a level 2 fort in Cremona. In January 1534 several African provinces core.
EU3_692.jpg

In May 1534, Land Tech 17 is researched, which will be useful in the next war with Spain. In June 1554, the truce has expired and we can declare war on Spain. At the same time we declare war on Portugal, the Colonialism casus belli applies to them as well. We are unable to infiltrate Spain's administration, they must have improved their counter-espionage. All allies are called to arms, including Syria, who didn't fight in the previous war.
EU3_698.jpg

We can now show off an admiral in the first battle of Gibraltar.
EU3_701.jpg

Regrettably the morale is low because we just increased the land and naval maintenance. That's a mistake we made, but hopefully it won't compromise the war.
EU3_702.jpg

Those big, world-wide wars are hard to manage. I always miss some incoming enemy stack that ends up demolishing my army. Nicely done.
Thx. Luckily there is the pause button :)

1534 : Second war with Spain (1)

There are naval engagements all over the place.
EU3_707.jpg

Meanwhile, colonies are being seized in America.
EU3_710.jpg

There are several naval engagements in America as well.
EU3_711.jpg

The main Spanish fleet suffers a major defeat in the Gulf of Valencia.
EU3_713.jpg

In America, Spanish and Portuguese fleets are annihilated. We are free to operate there.
EU3_715.jpg

Portugal as well is unable to lift the blockade on his ports.
EU3_716.jpg

In Valencia, the Spanish throw everything they have to a transport fleet who was sailing through the Gulf of Valencia.
EU3_718.jpg

Since this time Syria has joined the war as well, a combined Syrian-Venetian forces invades Egypt.
EU3_720.jpg

The Portugese and Spanish desperately try to remove the blockade, but this is an impossible mission.
EU3_723.jpg

In Africa as well, Spanish colonies are being seized.
EU3_726.jpg

And in Colombia.
EU3_729.jpg

Even without admiral, we win the engagement in the Gulf of Valencia.
EU3_730.jpg

In September 1534, Navarra accepts peace. They are small, but they already have technology 18 and Mauritian infantry, so it is good to have them out of the war.
EU3_733.jpg

Meanwhile, our mission in Cremona is accomplished. We will have to colonize Nicaragua next.
EU3_736.jpg

Spain's and Portugal's navies keep getting smaller and smaller. We rule the waves. We keep luring them out of the ports with small stacks.
EU3_737.jpg

EU3_742.jpg

EU3_744.jpg

EU3_747.jpg

In the Portuguese colony of Antioquia, we find a surprise - Fort level 2. This would take ages to conquer, so we skip it and move on to Central America.
EU3_748.jpg

1534-1535 : Second war with Spain (2)

In North America, meanwhile, we connect our colony batches. We are short on colonists, since we are busy changing the culture of the colonies we conquer.
EU3_749.jpg

The lifeblood of a colonial empire, the navy, has been taken away from Spain and Portugal. It will take a long time for them to recover from this war.
EU3_753.jpg

In November 1534, we gain a core on Abruzzi
EU3_755.jpg

In South America, meanwhile, an army is tackling the Portuguese provinces in Brazil. There are two provinces and two cities.
EU3_757.jpg

What little is left of the Spanish fleet is destroyed in the Gulf of Valencia in November 1534.
EU3_759.jpg

Panama is grabbed in December 1534.
EU3_762.jpg

Since this time the war is lasting longer, and there is no distraction, my vassals are able to invade Spanish Africa.
EU3_763.jpg

The Spanish colony of Saint Helena can be grabbed as well.
EU3_764.jpg

In January 1535, Gaza falls. But it is regrettably occupied by Syria, which is a pity, it is a fairly good province.
EU3_766.jpg

By now, all of Spanish and Portuguese ports are blockaded. I have spotted several big stacks on their mainland so an invasion of Spain is not being planned.
EU3_768.jpg

Another major engagement is won in Egypt.
EU3_769.jpg

And the Spanish Army of Egypt is wiped out in Delta. The road into Egypt is open.
EU3_770.jpg

We have learnt from our mistakes. We let the Spanish take attrition in Sus for several months, where I think I had built a level 2 fort, and then at the right moment we concentrate forces there.
Meanwhile, Hesse is elected Emperor.
EU3_772.jpg

This time, the battle of Sus is won. It is funny that this time it is US who have a general, however mediocre, while they don't. The road into Western Africa is open.
EU3_774.jpg

There are Portuguese colonies in Texas as well, one stack is active grabbing colonies there as well. There are two colonies and one city.
EU3_776.jpg

In July 1535, most of America has turned cyan. In North America stacks are being dispatched to Havana, Trinidad, Chorotega and to the Spanish colonies in Canada (Abnaki, Micmac, Kwedech and Akadia).
EU3_777.jpg

We have been doing some seizing in South America too. Espirito Santo, Sao Tome, Santana and Serranos have turned cyan.
EU3_778.jpg

And Venice is also invading Spanish Africa, unopposed.
EU3_779.jpg

In August 1535, we research Naval Technology 17. And we can fill at last that advisor chair, which has been empty for a while, since I could not spare magistrates for culture. This is going to be a major problem from now on.
EU3_782.jpg

Western Spanish Africa is in Venice's clutches.
EU3_785.jpg

Last edited:
1536-1538 : Second war with Spain (3)

Egypt is also for us to take.
EU3_787.jpg

In February 1536, we successfully colonize Nicaragua and accomplish our mission.
EU3_794.jpg

In March 1536, among others, the Portuguese colony of Barahonas (on Hispaniola) falls.
EU3_796.jpg

In May 1536, the Ottomans declare war on Spain as well. In July 1536, we peace the Portuguese. The three colonies of Barahonas (Hispaniola), Rio de Janeiro (Brazile) and Chitimacha (Texas) are part of the deal. There are three Portuguese colonies left in America. The Bahamas are not affected by the colonialism casus belli, though.
EU3_811.jpg

I forgot to write it, but the new mission was to colonize the Grain Coast. I colonized the Gold Coast instead. Oh well. What would Freud say ?
EU3_815.jpg

Meanwhile, we become Papal Controller. Chorotega falls in December 1536.
EU3_819.jpg

In March 1537, we successfully complete the mission, and we get the next one : colonize Quito. We are losing infamy at a rate of 1.90.
EU3_821.jpg

In July 1537, we finally peace Spain. They have to cede only two colonies, Havana and Chorotega. But they also have to release Tunisia, Granada and Candar.
EU3_824.jpg

So this is the situation after the war
EU3_825.jpg

There are still two Portuguese provinces in South America, which will be seized in the next war. The islands of Trinidad and Bahamas are not affected by the colonialism casus belli and will be left alone.

EU3_827.jpg

This time, Spain's economy has been damaged more severely.
EU3_828.jpg

Quite an epic WWI indeed! Are the relesed nations Christian or Muslim btw? If it is the latter, you just gained some nice future area of conquest... and if they are Muslim with mostly Christian provinces... I am not sure what is the case in DW, but as far as I know you can take these provinces for 0 infamy

I'm sure that in the case of Navarre you meant Maurician infantry which is not quite the same as Mauritian :D I believe it was named after him though he lived some decades later than the 'average time' of Land Tech 18.

btw nice wreck of Spain! also quite an impressive fleet you have there - are you well over the force limits or...?

Nicely done, these globe-spanning conflicts always require careful management. You've all but wrecked the other American colonizers.

It seems that the reformation was quite effective in this game. That could lead to some interesting events in Europe in the future.

An impressive war on many fronts. You defeated Spain and Portugal. You're well on the way to securing the New World for Venice. They will still colonize, but you'll be at war again with them before they can recover
from the drubbing you just gave them. The Netrherlands are colonizing, the lands of the Golden Horde and Great Britain is undergoing the reformation giving you that needed breathing space to continue weakening Portugal and Spain and perhaps make Portugal your vassal.

Nicely done. Basically you only need one more war to push all the other Euros out of America...

And now what ? You control the Med, GB is big but with most of the provinces in the wrong religion, Netherlands is going east ( so you have little competition on the Americas for a while ) ...so, what to do next ? It surely depends ( you are not that far away of forming Italy if you want to, just for a example ), but you will surely want to go east even if for the EIC and a core in the Persian gulf or in the Red sea would be nice ...

Hi everybody, thank you for the feedback :) It was actually a very fun war.

Memento Mori : Granada and Tunisia are 100% catholic, but Candar is catholic and has Sunni provinces. We'll see...
vasziljevics : Thank you for the correction :) In October 1537, I have 182 ships and force limit is 123. Which at full maintenance costs 12.7

Malurous : Interesting. What kind of events should I expect?
Chief Ragusa : Thank you :)

Ricardo Rolo : Of course, things are easier from now on. I am not overly keen on forming Italy, my next target is going to be Asia. I think the children of Marco Polo should set foot in India and China again. Maybe later, with the right casus belli, I might try and rid Europe of the decadent monarchies. Obviously, I might sooner or later lose motivation and stop playing this game, but so far I am not. I have learnt more geography and history playing EU than at school :)

Anyway, if anyboy is interested, this is the save file in October 1537.

Last edited:
1538-1542 : Assimilating the Iberian colonies. Hum conquered.

In January 1538, Quito is successfully colonized. Next mission will be colonize Tierra del Fuego.
EU3_839.jpg

In April 1538, we gain a core on Mozambique through a border dispute.
We also get called to arms from Syria to a phony war.
EU3_851.jpg

We have been assimilating colonies for a while and that of course has slowed our colonization efforts. It is a provincial decision which costs one colonist.
EU3_859.jpg

A bigger map of Europe.
EU3_866.jpg

In June 1540, Tierra del Fuego is successfully colonized. Colonize Copiapo is the next mission. Next mission will be to colonize Cauca.
EU3_872.jpg

In December 1540, we annex the last Inca province. The Inca empire disappears from the map.
EU3_879.jpg

In February 1541, Copiapo is successfully colonized.
EU3_885.jpg

In March 1541, we get a core on Graz as well, Styria will be a candidate for diplo-annexation as well.
EU3_886.jpg

We cannot spare magistrates for culture, since we need to build forts in colonies, and our advisor quality is therefore poor.
EU3_889.jpg

Balance sheet June 1541
EU3_891.jpg

In June 1541, a core is gained on Hum, Bosnia.
EU3_894.jpg

This prompts us to declare war on Bosnia in August 1541.
EU3_899.jpg

We end up being at war with Bosnia and Moldavia.
In February 1542, the defeated Moldavia must release... Wallachia ! Which becomes our ally. They occupy the very same provinces. Kind of gamey.
EU3_913.jpg

In March 1542, we hire a half-decent advisor.
EU3_915.jpg

In April 1542, Bosnia accepts our peace offer and cedes Hum.
EU3_920.jpg

We have now connected our Italian and Balkan provinces.
EU3_921.jpg

Meanwhile, The Netherlands' expansion into the Golden Horde territories consolidates their status as a superpower.
EU3_924.jpg

We cannot get rid of that blockade icon unless we hire an explorer. Saint Helena's port is covered by the fog of war.
EU3_1545.jpg

Last edited:
Gotta love DIP 9 rulers. They make you swim in boundary disputes. You've mostly been a bit unlucky with the targets before (many have been on natives) but Hum was a good one. Even with a fleet like yours the connection is nice to have.

I wouldn't worry about St. Helena, that sea province will be auto discovered soon enough.

Interesting. What kind of events should I expect?

Wars, mostly. :D And maybe some instability in the HRE. Basically, people won't like each other very much in Europe with that sort of progress...

Gotta love DIP 9 rulers. They make you swim in boundary disputes. You've mostly been a bit unlucky with the targets before (many have been on natives) but Hum was a good one. Even with a fleet like yours the connection is nice to have.

I wouldn't worry about St. Helena, that sea province will be auto discovered soon enough.

Wars, mostly. :D And maybe some instability in the HRE. Basically, people won't like each other very much in Europe with that sort of progress...

Great! I can hardly wait.

1542-1545 : Lombardia annexed and several new American provinces

We have missionaries to spare and so it is a good time to annex some Cherokee provinces. War is declared on them in July 1542.
The Protestant provinces are losing religious zeal and can now be converted. There are many of them in America.
EU3_931.jpg

The war with the Cherokee is uninteresting.
EU3_934.jpg

In September 1542, a great event hits us and we gain 4137 ducats. We will be able to repay the upcoming loan.
EU3_935.jpg

We stand to gain a lot of prestige from the peace treaty with the Cherokee and so we expand our influence on our ally Provence first.
After the peace treaty we recover the prestige and we gain several provinces. First we will build forts and then we will convert. Their other provinces aren't going anywhere.
EU3_942.jpg

North America in October 1542
EU3_944.jpg

To speed conversions in North America, we move our national focus there.
We fulfill another mission, colonize Cauca.
EU3_956.jpg

Next mission will be incorporate Milan and getting a core on it as a prize. Great mission.
EU3_957.jpg

Map of Europe
EU3_963.jpg

The doge dies and another one is elected.
EU3_965.jpg

And we are the unchallenged Papal Controller. But we are mostly too nice to excommunicate.
EU3_966.jpg

In June 1544, another milestone. It is now possibile to build Maurician infantry.
EU3_972.jpg

which takes its name from Maurice de Nassau, as we learnt a couple of days ago.
EU3_973.jpg

We move on to fulfill our mission and incorporate Milan. So now we have three out of the five provinces who are required to unify Italy.
EU3_977.jpg

Lombardia has a level 2 fort, but otherwise is undeveloped. It is begging for a constable and a marketplace at least.
EU3_979.jpg

Next mission is build a level 2 fort in Cartagena. We had hired an explorer to discover the port of Saint Helena and now it comes handy, the Spaniards have colonized north of our colonies, maybe hoping I would not find them.
EU3_984.jpg

In North America, we connect our holdings.
EU3_987.jpg

In July 1545, we can move a slider and we go full naval.
EU3_988.jpg

In October 1545, it is about time we claim the last Spanish and Portuguese colonies in America. War is declared on Spain and Portugal.
EU3_993.jpg

Last edited:
1545-1547 : Third war with Spain and Portugal

You know the drill. Armies are sent to seize the undefended Spanish colonies.
EU3_995.jpg

Another army is sent to Antioquia, to start the siege there.
EU3_996.jpg

And a third army walks into Santo Amaro.
EU3_997.jpg

There are several minor naval engagements in the Meditarrenean sea.
EU3_1002.jpg

There is a new front, Silistria, which Spain got from Bulgaria. Our ally Moldavia engages the Portuguese there.
EU3_1004.jpg

In Cape Bon, Spain is soundly defeated.
EU3_1005.jpg

But we have a problem : Granada. We didn't plan an invasion of Spain and we are not able to defend Granada. We should have left them out of the war.
EU3_1008.jpg

We connect Mexico to Texas, founding Tamaulipas.
EU3_1013.jpg

In North America, we are unopposed.
As we seize Kespek and occupy their city Unamakik, our explorer doubles as admiral in the Gulf of Lawrence.
EU3_1014.jpg

The Portuguese fleet is defeated in the Gulf of Cadiz. We are now free to lay the blockade.
EU3_1016.jpg

We ignored the Moroccan front and let a Spanish stack march into Ifni, where they will take attrition.
EU3_1022.jpg

In fact, there is very little we want from Spain, just their city Unamakik. Because of the blockade, our war score was high and we just ignored some fronts. All of their known colonies in North America have been seized by now.
In February 1546, we peace Spain.
EU3_1027.jpg

The war with Portugal lingers on. Santo Amaro falls in June 1546.
EU3_1030.jpg

Our overenthusiastic vassals invade Portugal and to protect them from Portugal's stack, we get involved as well.
EU3_1036.jpg

We were caught by surprise here and we have no invasion force ready. A couple of regiments are not enough to stave off defeat.
EU3_1038.jpg

Our battered vassals retire into Spain while I cover their retreat with a little stack I just landed. I am just buying time till Antioquia falls. Regrettably, there is a level 2 fort there.
EU3_1041.jpg

The main Portuguese stack gets fixated by a Byzantium stack and throws it out of Portugal and is about to destroy it.
EU3_1043.jpg

But then, Antiouquia falls. We had shipped some culverins there in the meantime.
EU3_1044.jpg

So, at last, peace can be made. Portugal cedes Antioquia and Santo Amaro. Continental America is cyan. The only foreign cities are Trinidad and Bahamas, who by now are trading in Venetian COTs anyway.
EU3_1045.jpg

bB7gB.gif
;)

Have you already finished the Fort 2 in Cartagena ? Other mission like the Milanese one would be nice ( too bad that the cores in those missions are only added after the annexing, thus all the buildings go to the trash except the forts :/ )

Oh , and as others said, it is Mauritian in English ( I assume you're a latin language speaker , right ? ;) )

P.S Those cash events are way unbalanced in big countries. If the people in Civfanatics Civ IV section heard about that ...( context: I'm a mod in CFC Civ IV section and there are a lot of complaints there than civ IV events are unbalanced ( they are but that is another story ). If they saw a 4k cash event they would froth bile out ... )

Last edited: