• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
1450-1451 : Preparing for the next war

In August 1450, the Doge asked for some reports.

map_1.jpg

income_1.jpg

markets_1.jpg

balance_1.jpg

trade_1.jpg

Although Venice had the highest income in the world, he wasn't happy that placing merchants in Liguria was so difficult. Liguria's reach had been expanded thanks to several trade agreements. The doge had put his national focus in Venetian Africa to build there a cot, but Genua was still too small. Building a COT in Greece would make sense though.
diplo_1.jpg

armies_1.jpg

navies_1.jpg

It was obvious that the biggest threats to Venice were Burgundy and England, apart from Castille who was Venice's ally. Venice was on good terms with England, but not with Burgundy.

The mission - vassalize Morea , that is Achea, and lose 2 infamy. Only Byzantium protected them. That would be easy.
The Moreans didn't acknowledge enough that they owed their independence to Venice, and now they would learn who is boss. An army was already in Athens after being sent there to kill some rebels.
Meanwhile a marketplace was queued in Cremona.

morea_1.jpg

Styria surprisingly broke the alliance with us. Too bad for them. Maybe because of Lienz, on which they have a core.

styria_1.jpg

In September 1480, the alliance with Morea was dissolved. Meanwhile France keeps getting dismembered.

france_5.jpg

Bohemia declares war on Brandenburg. Regrettably we have good relations with Morea and we have to insult them first.
On the 6th January 1451, war is declared with Morea, calling all allies to arms.

diplo_2.jpg

1451 : Morea vassalized

This war isn't much of a challenge. But Moldavia joins the war against us too. We get distracted and our vassal Naxos arrives in Morea first. But they are not afraid of assaulting. Meanwhile we invade Byzantium as well. Bosnia joins the war too... Hungary and Croatia can deal with them.

fights_1.jpg

diplo_3.jpg

The battle of Thrace is a total rout and we can siege Byzantium as well.

byza_1.jpg

Achea falls on the 4th of April 1451. I expand influence on Styria not to cap on prestige. Meanwhile Morea is sieged too, it belongs to Byzantium, allies are taking care of that.
We make them become Catholic just for the heck of it. We get the infamy reduction and an easy mission - Save Toubkhal, which is being sieged by rebels.
morea_2.jpg

So on the 10th of May 1451, Morea (previously Achea) became a vassal of Venice.

1451-1452 : The vassalization of Byzantium

The Castillians help us assault Trace
thrace_1.jpg

Epirus was and is still at war with Morea. We help the Hungarians against Moldavia. Meanwhile Morea (the province) falls.

moldavia_1.jpg

We ally with Morea and gain a casus belli on Epirus who is sieging Achea.
moldavia_2.jpg

The siege of Trace and the battle of the Carpatians are won. The rebels in Toubhkal are defeated and we lose 0.25 war exhaustion.

I found out what is killing my trade outside my COTS - a "non-core COT". Oh well.
noncore_1.jpg

My next mission could not be better- vassalize the papal state.
pope_1.jpg

Meanwhile, Byzantium's fleet is sunk, while I am out of diplomats again.
byza_3.jpg

Naples is at war with the English... Rebels are defeated in Corsica. War is declared against Epirus who is sieging Achea while zealots revolt in Larissa.
armies_2.jpg

Our armies are very successful. I make Bosnia pay 29 ducats for peace.
We lose our general Vittore Vittorio who was fighting rebels in Cremona

rebels_5.jpg

My next mission will allow me to burn 2 infamy again, so I vassalize Byzantium - Thrace has a high tax base and I don't want to make other wars in between - I'll go straight for the Pope after that. Byzantium has a very high potential btw - it has cores all over the Ottoman empire.
Byzantium becomes a vassal.
byza_5.jpg

Meanwhile, Hungary annects Moldavia and becomes a monster. But we are at peace and we can take on the Pope.
hunga_1.jpg

Oh no, we aren't, we still at war with Epirus. We will just assault Janina.
We repay a loan minting a little - inflation is now 7.1
Janina is taken and Epirus gets a good deal - we have no time to worry about them. We have other priorities.
Peace again. Now it will be the Pope's turn.

Last edited:
Funny, your game seems to have very low army sizes in general. That's useful, of course.

Are there loans left with that one repaid?

You seem to be assembling quite a horde of vassals. :)

Funny, your game seems to have very low army sizes in general. That's useful, of course.

Are there loans left with that one repaid?

You seem to be assembling quite a horde of vassals. :)

Really ? What kind of armies would you expect by now ?
I have two loans left.
Vassals are good.....

1452-1453 : The vassalization of the Papal State

I have to take a stability hit not to lose centralization.
Morea still at war with Epirus gets help from rebels
rebels_1.jpg

Naples loses the war with England and Portugal and releases Pisa again. I ally with the vassals Mantua and Byzantium,
Time to elect a new doge. I choose a military candidate because of the looming war. He is good.
doge_g.jpg

The Ottomans are at war with Mameluks and Qara Konyulu.
I position troops for the war against the Papal State and cancel military access. Regrettably, we have a common ally, Augsburg. And they are allied with Bavaria.
pope_2.jpg

I then call my allies to arms, including Augsburg who would "maybe" join. He will have to choose. Augsburg is a theocracy.
Everybody joins but Augsburg. We have a casus belli against them.
pope_3.jpg

The Pope leads the troops in Roma!
pope_4.jpg

The battle in Rome is won and after detaching siege we pursue them in Siena.
Troops are reengaged in Siena while Castille will help us in the siege in Rome.
pope_6.jpg

Rome is assaulted after Castillian reenforcements come.
rome_1.jpg

The pope's fleet is sunk while there are sieges in the North as well.
rome_2.jpg

A great 6 diplomatic advisor arrives in Liguria.
There is no reason to waste time - Vassalization is requested and accepted. Though as always there is prestige to burn first.
rome_3.jpg

We get a new mission. Vassalize Styria, who just cancelled the alliance with us. How practical !

And another nice mission! Very fitting.

Really ? What kind of armies would you expect by now ?

I suppose I'm used to seeing two or three more nations with the kind of army Burgundy has here. Of course, you've taken a couple of candidates for such armies out of the running. ;)

1453-1454 : The war with Bavaria ends - Würzburg is a new ally of Venice

Meanwhile, Bavaria annexes Wurzburg.
bava_5.jpg

We decide to attack Bavaria in Tirol, but they escape.
bava_6.jpg

Munchen is occupied by Tirol and we pursue the Bavarians.
bava_7.jpg

We still have military access through Augsburg.
engl_1.jpg

England and Portugal - we gave them military access and are at war with Austria.
Austria will cede .... the Baleares ? Yes, they are allied with Aragon.

balea_1.jpg

The last Bavarian troops are routed in Bamberg.
bamb_1.jpg

Meanwhile -LOL - my vassal Morea annexes Epirus. One province more under our control.
epirus_1.jpg

Tirol peaces Bavaria so München is liberated. But Hungary assaults it immediately. Schwaben falls after an assault.
schwab_1.jpg

Niederbayern falls too after an assault.
nied_1.jpg

We lose a master of mint and get a new one. München is at last conquered by Hungary
bava_9.jpg

We make Bavaria release Würzburg. We are at peace again and we can go on to the next mission.
bava_10.jpg

1454-1455 : The Vassalization of Tuscany and Styria

Nav Tech 7 is discovered.
I re-dispose my troop to start the war to vassalize Styria, who is allied to Tuscany, Switzerland and Tyrol. Tyrol is our ally too.
A loan is repaid.
War is declared against Styria.
sty_1.jpg

Brandenburg declares war on us too.
I call all my vassals to arms but Tyrol, because he is allied to Styria and would not join. And Tyrol defects to the enemy, so now we are at war with Tyrol as well ! That's how quick it turns. Castille, Hungary, Siena and Urbino are not called to arms , as they might not respond.
I take a loan, queue some units and create a general - I have 82% military tradition.
The treacherous Tiroleans are defeated.
tirol_1.jpg

The battle of Firenze is easily won.
firenze_1.jpg

And we become the Papal Controller.
papal_1.jpg

papal_2.jpg

At last we engage Styrian troops in Görz while we will fight Tyrolean and Swiss armies in Brescia
sty_3.jpg

We engage the Swiss at last in Cremona with our fire 6 general
swiss2.jpg

Battle of Gorz is won and we pursue them - I am not paying attention to tactics since we are much stronger.
sty_4.jpg

We win also in Cremona, but not without losses, and we pursue.
cre_1.jpg

The Styrian army is defeated and we leave the Croats to siege.
sty_5.jpg

The blanket of doom slowly extends over Styria, Tuscany, Switzerland and Tyrol while the Swiss at last want to engage us in Schwyz
blanket_1.jpg

The Swiss are pushed back.
We re-attack and we maneuver to ambush them.
siwss_6.jpg

They are lured again..
swiss_7.jpg

We will vassalize Tuscany - we can burn infamy then fulfilling the mission in Styria.
tosc_1.jpg

tosc_2.jpg

On 13th July 1455 Toscany becomes a vassal.
And on the 15th July 1455, Styria becomes a vassal.
sty_10.jpg

And we white peace Brandenburg. Tyrol and Switzerland are still fighting.

Quite unlucky generals, you're getting fire six a few centuries too early. :p Well, I suppose it's only fair you have bad luck somewhere after getting all those nice missions. :D Not to mention the Morea-Epirus situation, that went quite smoothly!

Quite unlucky generals, you're getting fire six a few centuries too early. :p Well, I suppose it's only fair you have bad luck somewhere after getting all those nice missions. :D Not to mention the Morea-Epirus situation, that went quite smoothly!

Yes, it is going well, apart from the generals. But I think the missions are pretty standard, Venice has very few country-specific missions (Friuli, Verona and Brescia) and then you keep getting the standard missions "subjugate / conquer your neighbor" as long as there are neighbors to subjugate / conquer.

Last edited:
1455: The Vassalization of Tirol

The next mission is to improve relations with Augsburg. We win the siege in Sankt Gallen and Castille declares war on the Mamluks.
We improve relations with Augsburg, and then the next mission will be to vassalize them as well. As you say.
aug_1.jpg

The Swiss are defeated and retire
schw_11.jpg

schw_12.jpg

Sankt Fallen and Chur fall. We catch up with the Swiss in Bern.

Meanwhile Trent falls and I decide to vassalize Tirol as well. I will soon burn infamy vassalizing Augsburg.
schw_13.jpg

On the 16h September 1455, Tirol is vassalized. 5.7 infamy, that I must burn quickly.
tirol_0.jpg

1456 : The vassalization of Augsburg

Swiss troops are finally routed in Wallis.
schw_16.jpg

Lombardia falls. We help Firenze beat some Modena patriots.
Wallis falls as well.
I can declare war on Augsburg and all allies would follow me so I do that. They are allied with Switzerland, with whom we are already at war anyway, and Württemberg.
augsb_1.jpg

On the 15th February 1456, we declare war on Augsburg, Württemberg and the Teutonic order, calling all allies to arms. The emperor joins as well.
diplo_1.jpg

Switzerland is not a problem.
swiss_1.jpg

We assault Schwyz, since the wall is breached, and it falls on the 17th March 1456. We make the assaulting troops recover morale in Brescia and Cremona.
Freiburg falls on the 7th April 1456. Switzerland is desperate for peace and offers us two provinces. Meanwhile we lay siege to Konstanz and Salzburg.
swiss_2.jpg

We get a trade station in Crete and Bern is also assaulted succesfully.
In May 1456 I can move a slider and since I plan on expanding in the new continent and building my own COTs, and since I am not getting merchants in foreign COTS anyway, I go mercantilism. I am planning to dump the national idea "Shrewd Commerce Practice" for "Press Gangs" first time I can. Second idea will be of course "Quest for New World". We gain a mediocre collector.
A merchant dies and we get some ducats.
ducats_1.jpg

Hesse and Saxony join the war against us too. Meanwhile we white peace the Teutonic order. We assault Zurich, where the wall is breached.
Hesse immediately white peaces. We engage Augsburg and at the same time Salzburg and Zurich fall.
swiss_3.jpg

The battle of Ausburg is won while we engage troops in Würtemberg
augsb_2.jpg

Augsburg accepts the vassalization on the 5th August 1456
augsb_3.jpg

Switzerland gets a good deal, considering. They release Milan. And we lose infamy.
augsb_4.jpg

And we get a new mission. Vassalize Parma. I immediately cancel military access.
augsb_5.jpg

I notice I wasted some prestige because it was capped, I could have expanded my influence. Never mind.

I wonder when the game will stop throwing vassal missions at you, at this rate you'll have everyone you neighbour as a vassal :p

I think it will stop exactly then, when everyone is a vassal :)

1456 : The vassalization of Parma

The Württembergian army is defeated and we pursue them
wurt_1.jpg

We can select a new doge and I will select an administrative candidate, since I am planning to start colonization and change national ideas soon.
I get what I want - but he won't be a general I guess.

doge_mo.jpg

Württemberg's troops are routed in Konstanz. I am not interested in this country and I go back to Italy with these troops
wurt_2.jpg

After we request military access to Tirol, Bohemia declares war on Brandenburg.
In November 1456, we declare war on Parma. We are at war with Brandenburg anyway. Allies are not immediately called to arms. Austria and Aragon join Parma. Meanwhile, we white peace Brandenburg.
The battle of Parma is won and we order an assault.

parma_1.jpg

Parma falls on the 27th November 1456
parma_2.jpg

Meanwhile, Siena breaks alliance with us. And we vassalize Parma.
On the 3rd December 1456, Parma becomes Venice's vassal.
parma_3.jpg

We lose 2 infamy... and we get the next mission: vassalize Milan
parma_4.jpg