• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Status
Not open for further replies.
That's something I haven't taken seriously. So, I guess denying Brittany by vassalizing it is a bad idea?
It depends, usually vassals dont give all that much warscore, especially not if you sell your french territory to brittany. Once Naval 9 hits you should be secure either way. But all in all keeping POR as an ally is not the best of ideas, all they have is a fleet and this is nothing you need as long as you keep castille on good terms.

It depends on the situation. Portugal often allies itself with Castile. In such a case, it can conceivably be used to drag Castile into an early dogpile on player France if the war on Granada ends quick.

It depends on the situation. Portugal often allies itself with Castile. In such a case, it can conceivably be used to drag Castile into an early dogpile on player France if the war on Granada ends quick.
How so? This would only work if France declares war on Portugal or portugal somehow becomes warleader. Also as long as castille has no landconnection with france they are of little danger, the AI is not the best at shipping enough troops into one particular theatre and those 10-12k stacks castille would send could be easily crushed by a decent French Player.

You know that keeping port as an ally is just suicide? If france manages to occupy their mainland+your french holdings then they can just forcepeace you. Have fun playing further with a released wales and cornwall.
All in all I think you just did not play any MP up till now. Your tactic, if it actually works in SP, relies on perfect timing, you wont have that in MP, even if you are on constant speed 2 you will need to make decisions between watching your troops closely and building up new troops in the isles, expanding your infrastructure etc.

And once again, playing with pause or not are up to those who creates the game.

And no, it doesn't rely on perfect timing. I'm just very experienced with England. What is it that needs to be timed well?

And once again, playing with pause or not are up to those who creates the game.

And no, it doesn't rely on perfect timing. I'm just very experienced with England. What is it that needs to be timed well?
Do you honestly think a real MP game can be played if both players just pause at will? This completely kills the flow. I keep thinking that the fact that you dont actually play MP could cloud your judgement a bit. Again: MP and SP are nearly two different games and what you do in SP might not neccessarily be good in MP.
Well, for one thing timing is needed to prevent France from landing troops in scotland, if you miss something there you are dead. Also you need to be prepared to stop any expansion in the OE at any time because France could in theory march a doomstack to greece through Military access (it basically needs 4-5 countries for that, so not that much). Other timing stuff is a correct war against the North African Muslims. If you withdraw in the wrong moment its game over for you there.

Do you honestly think a real MP game can be played if both players just pause at will? This completely kills the flow. I keep thinking that the fact that you dont actually play MP could cloud your judgement a bit. Again: MP and SP are nearly two different games and what you do in SP might not neccessarily be good in MP.
Well, for one thing timing is needed to prevent France from landing troops in scotland, if you miss something there you are dead. Also you need to be prepared to stop any expansion in the OE at any time because France could in theory march a doomstack to greece through Military access (it basically needs 4-5 countries for that, so not that much). Other timing stuff is a correct war against the North African Muslims. If you withdraw in the wrong moment its game over for you there.

Well, people play differently, which is what people here doesn't seem to get. I wouldn't want to play an mp-game without pause, since pause is a part of the game...and it's needed to best plan a strategy. And it's up to the players how faost they want to play. I do so much in my games that it would be impossible for me to play at any low speed without pausing.

Well, people play differently, which is what people here doesn't seem to get. I wouldn't want to play an mp-game without pause, since pause is a part of the game...and it's needed to best plan a strategy. And it's up to the players how faost they want to play. I do so much in my games that it would be impossible for me to play at any low speed without pausing.
Look, we (at least i assume) get that people play differently. However giving advice that only MIGHT work in SP with extensive pausing in a Thread that is dedicated to MP in which there might not even be pausing is just wrong. If you look at the replies you are the one who derailed the thread by giving advice that is just strange and not really viable in any competetive MP environment (again I assume, though I have yet to see stats in which england either became Emperor or expanded much into NA or the balkans, if there is a game where it happened, sorry).

Look, we (at least i assume) get that people play differently. However giving advice that only MIGHT work in SP with extensive pausing in a Thread that is dedicated to MP in which there might not even be pausing is just wrong. If you look at the replies you are the one who derailed the thread by giving advice that is just strange and not really viable in any competetive MP environment (again I assume, though I have yet to see stats in which england either became Emperor or expanded much into NA or the balkans, if there is a game where it happened, sorry).

Well, in this particular game we know it's just England vs France.....and we don't know the rules of said game. You are scolding me for assuming they are playing with pause when you are assuming they don't.....double standard?

And these things always work for me in SP....and seriously..how bad a player can one be if France can stop one from doing these things early game? And I think everyone should make a go towards becoming emperor....but he could just do it by building up his SOI and get it by points from diplomatic skill.

And seriously those that play mp-games here and talk about it are those who think it's gamey for England to grab provinces where they didn't have provinces historically and shit =P. Ridiculuous in the end.

Well, in this particular game we know it's just England vs France.....and we don't know the rules of said game. You are scolding me for assuming they are playing with pause when you are assuming they don't.....double standard?
We don't, yet we know that a typical MP game does not allow pausing at will because it destroys the flow, so no double standard here, just logical thinking
And these things always work for me in SP....and seriously..how bad a player can one be if France can stop one from doing these things early game? And I think everyone should make a go towards becoming emperor....but he could just do it by building up his SOI and get it by points from diplomatic skill.
Well, lets just look at the premise of the OE-invasion. France could easily: Send troops to scotland while you are preoccupied; Send troops to the OE through Milan, Austria, Hungary, Serbia, Bosnia; Vassalize the electors while you are occupied elsewhere; Send hefty war subsidies to the OE (not that useful); PU Castille and Aragon; DoW you, occupy Portugal and your French holdings, stabhit you to -3 and peace you out for a hefty price.
And seriously those that play mp-games here and talk about it are those who think it's gamey for England to grab provinces where they didn't have provinces historically and shit =P. Ridiculuous in the end.
I challenge you to find a post of either Pewt or Kommando23 (and to a far lesser extent myself) stating something to that regard. Nothing of history was ever mentioned and in most MP's I've seen nobody gives much concern to any sort of Historical accuracy as long as it furthers your nation.

Err.. why would player France want to do that when he could happily use those troops to gobble up his neighbours while this particular player England's making a vassal out of the OE.

We don't, yet we know that a typical MP game does not allow pausing at will because it destroys the flow, so no double standard here, just logical thinking

Well, lets just look at the premise of the OE-invasion. France could easily: Send troops to scotland while you are preoccupied; Send troops to the OE through Milan, Austria, Hungary, Serbia, Bosnia; Vassalize the electors while you are occupied elsewhere; Send hefty war subsidies to the OE (not that useful); PU Castille and Aragon; DoW you, occupy Portugal and your French holdings, stabhit you to -3 and peace you out for a hefty price.

I challenge you to find a post of either Pewt or Kommando23 (and to a far lesser extent myself) stating something to that regard. Nothing of history was ever mentioned and in most MP's I've seen nobody gives much concern to any sort of Historical accuracy as long as it furthers your nation.

You do realize that all of this is extremely farfetched?

How would they send troops to Scotland? As I said, Scotland would be my vassal...and also, I would crush any french attempt to do that before it happened...and their fleet still sucks?

Vassalize the electors...and war the emperor...sure...and you don't think I would intervene? Same with Castille and Aragon.

If France send troops...if they sent any amount to compete with me there, their mainland would be undefended....

I'm talking not only of this thread but earlier ones when it comes to the historical/roleplay thing.

You do realize that all of this is extremely farfetched?

How would they send troops to Scotland? As I said, Scotland would be my vassal...and also, I would crush any french attempt to do that before it happened...and their fleet still sucks?
I could be wrong here, but vassals still give out MA, if they dont then sorry, never cared about that concept much. For you to be able to stop France from that you would need to constantly monitor the french fleet while fighting a war on three fronts, something that needs very good player skills, which the OP might not have.
Vassalize the electors...and war the emperor...sure...and you don't think I would intervene? Same with Castille and Aragon.
Ally Austria on Day 1, let the austrians soak up the punishment from bohemia until you have vassalized the electors, then just play defensively.
If France send troops...if they sent any amount to compete with me there, their mainland would be undefended....
You mentioned that you will have 10k troops there, if france sends 15k they will still have around 30-40k in mainland france.
I'm talking not only of this thread but earlier ones when it comes to the historical/roleplay thing.
Nobody of the people who argued against you agressively (me + Dreadlindwy/urm IIRC) where active MP players at that time, so your argument is moot.
But all this spamming makes no sense, lets just play an MP game, I will do 1-2 testgames as France, lets say 14:00 CET?

I could be wrong here, but vassals still give out MA, if they dont then sorry, never cared about that concept much. For you to be able to stop France from that you would need to constantly monitor the french fleet while fighting a war on three fronts, something that needs very good player skills, which the OP might not have.

Ally Austria on Day 1, let the austrians soak up the punishment from bohemia until you have vassalized the electors, then just play defensively.

You mentioned that you will have 10k troops there, if france sends 15k they will still have around 30-40k in mainland france.

Nobody of the people who argued against you agressively (me + Dreadlindwy/urm IIRC) where active MP players at that time, so your argument is moot.
But all this spamming makes no sense, lets just play an MP game, I will do 1-2 testgames as France, lets say 14:00 CET?

1. War on 3 fronts? Please explain that one. Unless France tries to attack me the only front would be the OE.

2. And I would intervene on the side of Bohemia?

3. Ofc if the french send troops somewhere...I will send more troops to that somewhere...every action has a reaction.
And 55k troops early game? you kidding? they don't even have that forcelimit start of game.

4. Maybe in april, got a lot of shit to do right now (and no, discussing in a forum while I work is not the same as playing an mp game)

1. War on 3 fronts? Please explain that one. Unless France tries to attack me the only front would be the OE.
Front 1: North Africa; Front 2: Ottoman Empire; Front 3: France and Europe itself
2. And I would intervene on the side of Bohemia?
We would be at war since Day 1 and you would allready have quite much WE from occupied holdings in Europe
3. Ofc if the french send troops somewhere...I will send more troops to that somewhere...every action has a reaction.
And 55k troops early game? you kidding? they don't even have that forcelimit start of game.
eE5Wl.jpg
Here you can see my completely botched try at a france opening (first time i really tried it). Its not even 8 years in the game and I allready have over 50k troops, with some Vassals (completely screwed up the vassalization of Savoy though).

DO note that a lot of stuff could have gone better here, also I did play it on speed 3 without pausing, so MP conditions, I only used pause when through some bad luck Aragon AND castille intervened in the reconquest of my vassals.

Front 1: North Africa; Front 2: Ottoman Empire; Front 3: France and Europe itself

We would be at war since Day 1 and you would allready have quite much WE from occupied holdings in Europe

View attachment 49076
Here you can see my completely botched try at a france opening (first time i really tried it). Its not even 8 years in the game and I allready have over 50k troops, with some Vassals (completely screwed up the vassalization of Savoy though).

DO note that a lot of stuff could have gone better here, also I did play it on speed 3 without pausing, so MP conditions, I only used pause when through some bad luck Aragon AND castille intervened in the reconquest of my vassals.

1. Who said I would attack North Africa and the Ottomans at the exact same time? Not me. And I would never invade France or Europe unless I had 2.

2. Who said I would keep those holdings?

3. How did you get all the prestige to cancel all those vassals? And as I said, I only play with pause, since it's a strategy game....and it's meant to have pause.

1. Who said I would attack North Africa and the Ottomans at the exact same time? Not me. And I would never invade France or Europe unless I had 2.
Okay, conceded.
2. Who said I would keep those holdings?
Logic, you cant sell those provinces while at war and why should the french player buy them?
3. How did you get all the prestige to cancel all those vassals? And as I said, I only play with pause, since it's a strategy game....and it's meant to have pause.
Not hard, every annexiation gives you 10 prestige back, some prestige comes from battles. I also waited a little while before each dow so the nations get 1-2 allies/guarantees, I would then besiege all the other nations too and vassalize those who are interesting, usually every war would end with me having over 20 prestige and ready to take the next vassal.

Okay, conceded.

Logic, you cant sell those provinces while at war and why should the french player buy them?

Not hard, every annexiation gives you 10 prestige back, some prestige comes from battles. I also waited a little while before each dow so the nations get 1-2 allies/guarantees, I would then besiege all the other nations too and vassalize those who are interesting, usually every war would end with me having over 20 prestige and ready to take the next vassal.

2. Who said I would sell them to the french player? I could sell them to whoever borders them.

2. Who said I would sell them to the french player? I could sell them to whoever borders them.
Cant do that at war. And if you do, keep in mind that the owner of those provinces (who have french cores), will die very hard very soon. You saw my SS, I am sure that players with actual MP skill can do a much better opening and be much stronger by that time.

Cant do that at war. And if you do, keep in mind that the owner of those provinces (who have french cores), will die very hard very soon. You saw my SS, I am sure that players with actual MP skill can do a much better opening and be much stronger by that time.

Yeah, but I would sell them before starting a war? =P >_>.

Status
Not open for further replies.