• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Status
Not open for further replies.

unmerged(276427)

Second Lieutenant
1 Badges
Feb 28, 2011
  • Darkest Hour
So, my opponant is being France and I rather like the idea of being England.
Obviously I will concentrate exclusively on my navy, will I be able to hold him off? Should be okay for the first 100 years or so, but I don't want to go to the huge expense of mass-colonising the Americas if he can transport over a huge stack that I won't be able to hurt.
So is it do-able or should I pick somewhere else?

You should be able to maintain a bigger navy, which can defend you against him quite easily. Usually in MP France fears England more than England fears France.

As soon as you can blockade keep him 100% blockaded forever. Blockades reset the white peace timer and he will be unable to bring out any troops to you wherever.
I didn't know blockades counted as "conflict" for those purposes. Cheers for the heads up.

Wait, is it just you two playing? Competitive EU3 does not work in a two player setting.
Yeah I know that. But trying to organise so many people is a major faff.

Well england can have big advantage over england. BUT france can be naval nation too if you want - if you are unothodox player. If you go naval as france, you may defeat england in navy. Anyway i think for france it is best to just ally england and vice versa - you leave old continent for him, and he leaves you the new world.

Stuck on your island? Seriously? I think England is one of the most powerful nations early game.

If you can you should buy the title of defender of the faith, even if you can't, the first thing you should do is block the Gibraltar strait with half your carracks so that no muslim can reach your lands, then first off take Byzantium, then once Byzantium is taken (take it without CB), you will hold an important port to be able to block Ottoman armies, and you will have holy war CB on the ottomans bordering them.

Start grabbing, take so you can border other muslims, like Mamluks, Karaman etc, then declare war on those and grab more. You should get your first idea early, in an mp it might be better to go military drill.

But it's good to be empire+dof+military drill early.

Though you should not fear your friend the french.

If you can force a PU on Castille earlier, then your french opponent is toast (there are a lot of PUs that can be forced early)

You could also go straight into the HRE and vassalize 4 electors, that way you will become HRE next....good shit to be.

Whatever you do.....do it to increase your power and reach. Having your fleet gives you a truly great advantage.

Sorry, but I seriously doubt that as England you can sucessfully become emperor in MP, afterall you'd need to actually siege provinces inside the empire. Anyway, as a tactic against france I would: Avoid any holdings which can be reached by land AND are in europe; Rush QFTNW and landlock the natives while going into Asian Trade ASAP; keep total naval supperiority. Once naval 9 hits blockade him for some decades to gain an edge. Make sure that you always have enough troops on the isles to beat back a cogdrop (if possible).

Sorry, but I seriously doubt that as England you can sucessfully become emperor in MP, afterall you'd need to actually siege provinces inside the empire. Anyway, as a tactic against france I would: Avoid any holdings which can be reached by land AND are in europe; Rush QFTNW and landlock the natives while going into Asian Trade ASAP; keep total naval supperiority. Once naval 9 hits blockade him for some decades to gain an edge. Make sure that you always have enough troops on the isles to beat back a cogdrop (if possible).

And those sieges would be....10 000 infantry, one one-two prov electors, attack, siege over. Withdraw.

first off take Byzantium, then once Byzantium is taken (take it without CB), you will hold an important port to be able to block Ottoman armies, and you will have holy war CB on the ottomans bordering them.
LOL. Are you serious? That's worth 10 BB and 2 stab hits. If you want Holy War CB on Ottomans, just get Divine Supremacy. There are much better things to spend your BB on than a holy war CB.

In an England game, the player should annex Ireland and vassalize Scotland ASAP. Contrary to what some might tell you about waiting for free cores, there's a definition advantage of getting the 4 extra cores in Ireland early on, as that would increase naval supply limit and prevent enemies from establishing a base there. Scotland needs to be vassalized to prevent sneak attacks.

To contain a player France, an alliance with Burgundy is a must. If he manages to eat up Burgundy and the Low Counties, it's pretty much game over and you don't want that to happen. The trick is to always harass France when he's in a war with a powerful neighbour.

LOL. Are you serious? That's worth 10 BB and 2 stab hits. If you want Holy War CB on Ottomans, just get Divine Supremacy. There are much better things to spend your BB on than a holy war CB.

In an England game, the player should annex Ireland and vassalize Scotland ASAP. Contrary to what some might tell you about waiting for free cores, there's a definition advantage of getting the 4 extra cores in Ireland early on, as that would increase naval supply limit and prevent enemies from establishing a base there. Scotland needs to be vassalized to prevent sneak attacks.

To contain a player France, an alliance with Burgundy is a must. If he manages to eat up Burgundy and the Low Counties, it's pretty much game over and you don't want that to happen. The trick is to always harass France when he's in a war with a powerful neighbour.

It's easy to lose infamy by releasing any vassals gained through holy war.

And Thrace is an important port if he wants to block the ottoman strait without taking naval attrition. (And if he waited for idea that would be like 140...something, Byzantium he can take right away. (And if he releases Morea, 2 less infamy)

And I never said he shouldn't conquer Ireland and vassalize Scotland...subjugating Byzantium though takes like 5k troops.

And those sieges would be....10 000 infantry, one one-two prov electors, attack, siege over. Withdraw.
Withdraw to where exactly? You will be at war against france and those 10k stacks can be rather easily found within the HRE. Also while you concentrate your forces there France could easily slip some stacks onto the british isles. Also if you take byzantium and anatolia, be wary of getting forcepeaced from the French continental power.

It's easy to lose infamy by releasing any vassals gained through holy war.

And Thrace is an important port if he wants to block the ottoman strait without taking naval attrition. (And if he waited for idea that would be like 140...something, Byzantium he can take right away. (And if he releases Morea, 2 less infamy)

And I never said he shouldn't conquer Ireland and vassalize Scotland...subjugating Byzantium though takes like 5k troops.
I highly doubt the trick with releasing vassals for BB reduction is allowed in MP games. I personally don't use that in SP because it's cheating. Thrace is not important if your purpose is to block the strait, because the Borphorus is so easy to block. You can simply ask Venice for military access and put ships on petrol between Naxos/Crete to the straits.

The only remotely acceptable reason is to take the rich Ottoman provinces very early on (as you said). But then again, you'd run the risk of spreading yourself too thin and may have to deal with hordes, which is a very undesireable distraction early on. The only time I gamble on an early Ottoman assault is if I am a minor, but England has far better places to expand...

Don't forget, as long as he can get military access from Scotland you are always endangered. After that he needs at least a lot of cogs.
That's kind of unavoidable short of annexing Scotland and Orkney by brute force. However, having Scotland as a vassal does let you see potential sneak attacks coming from that end.

I highly doubt the trick with releasing vassals for BB reduction is allowed in MP games. I personally don't use that in SP because it's cheating. Thrace is not important if your purpose is to block the strait, because the Borphorus is so easy to block. You can simply ask Venice for military access and put ships on petrol between Naxos/Crete to the straits.

The only remotely acceptable reason is to take the rich Ottoman provinces very early on (as you said). But then again, you'd run the risk of spreading yourself too thin and may have to deal with hordes, which is a very undesireable distraction early on. The only time I gamble on an early Ottoman assault is if I am a minor, but England has far better places to expand...

That's kind of unavoidable short of annexing Scotland and Orkney by brute force. However, having Scotland as a vassal does let you see potential sneak attacks coming from that end.

Emm? How is it a trick unless you diplo-annex them again later? Releasing vassals is obviously part of the game, so it can't be considered cheating.

Ehh, I don't know if you have divine wind, but I take naval attrition as England no matter have much military access/allies/PUs I have down there. Or maybe you meant I should divide my fleet or something? And let it repair?

The great thing about England is that they never have to worry about spreading thin, since they have a huge navy and can field a huge army.

What better places are these to expand? (start of game)

What better places are these to expand? (start of game)
Well for starters, rushing qftnw and expanding into the americas. Also Frances army is always bigger than englands. There is only about 30-40k manpower in the british isles without buildings (correct me if i am wrong) and probably around thrice that in Mainland France and the lands france can easily aquire. Wrong religious and cultural provinces half a continent away dont help all that much with that for the first ~20-30 years.....

E: also you only get naval range from cored provinces. In the first 50 years a naval base in the med. is of no use and after those 50 years you could probably do with something like sicily or venetia, I.E. lands no one can reach per land.

Well for starters, rushing qftnw and expanding into the americas. Also Frances army is always bigger than englands. There is only about 30-40k manpower in the british isles without buildings (correct me if i am wrong) and probably around thrice that in Mainland France and the lands france can easily aquire. Wrong religious and cultural provinces half a continent away dont help all that much with that for the first ~20-30 years.....

E: also you only get naval range from cored provinces. In the first 50 years a naval base in the med. is of no use and after those 50 years you could probably do with something like sicily or venetia, I.E. lands no one can reach per land.

Aaaand....you just sit and wait until you can get qftnw?

And even if Frances army is bigger they got no way to get it over the channel, since England pwns them navally. And any english army could take care of whatever they can send over.

Aaaand....you just sit and wait until you can get qftnw?

And even if Frances army is bigger they got no way to get it over the channel, since England pwns them navally. And any english army could take care of whatever they can send over.
Well yeah, if you overextend (yes even the english can do it) in the first 20 years of the game, what will you do once you reach the new world. In the first 20 years you can get your trade running, build up a nice army and make sure the British Isles are your own. If you get into any prolonged war on the continent France can probably bring over 40k troops, dow you and, while part of your forces are elsewhere, take london and bankrupt you. Better stay wary, build up your income and prepare for the New World.

E: you could also try to vassalize some nations in the med. and hope for a mission on them or sth. like that. Fact is: annexing byzantium is not a good tactic, it gives next to no income and throws you back around 1-2 years of recovering stab and lowering infamy.

Status
Not open for further replies.