+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 75

Thread: Rate of gore?

  1. #1

    Rate of gore?

    Hello, it's funny to see you guys engaging into this. We definitely need more games with WotR and M&B style when it's exciting to control one guy and fight as our ancestors did in past times!

    Now to the question, how "violent" will the game be, or specifically which age requirement are you sighting for? With that I mean will there be high amount of blood, severed limbs, spilled entrails, dented armor and cracked skulls?!

    All honor to M&B but the exception of gore did pull away M&B's attractiveness to a grade in my opinion! I am somewhat irritated of that many devs nowadays tries to make their games too kind so their product can be bought from childs and adults. I know it makes the cash, but why make a game worser only because of making cash like as in a-la-EA style?

    Medieval age was very violent and I want to add another thing, in manner of the "historical accurate debate" there should be gore in WotR!

    Further I want to add this picture of a skull from an unlucky soldier, found in one of the massgraves from the battle of Towton (want to know more? check here) during war of the roses!



    Note: Such grievously wounds were very common in medieval combat

  2. #2
    Captain Digu21's Avatar

    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    , Sweden
    Posts
    452
    Hopefully lots of gore and stuff

  3. #3
    Ouch.
    Do we know how that wound actually might have happened?

    Also gore is generally good, but you don't want to over kill it.
    Check out my Archery suggestion - http://alturl.com/o52iz
    And my gaming channel - http://alturl.com/tyfoq

  4. #4
    Lt. General Comrade Chaos's Avatar
    Crusader Kings IIDarkest HourDeus VultEU3 CompleteDivine Wind
    For the MotherlandHearts of Iron IIIHOI3: Their Finest HourHeir to the ThroneMarch of the Eagles
    Rome GoldSemper FiSword of the StarsSupreme Ruler 2020 GoldSupreme Ruler: Cold War
    Victoria 2Victoria II: A House DividedVictoria II: Heart of DarknessPride of NationsCK2: Holy Knight
    500k clubEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-order

    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Northern Michigan
    Posts
    1,499
    Some gore. Losing limbs should be an exception, not a rule.

  5. #5
    Lt. General Beowulf1990's Avatar
    Crusader Kings IIDivine WindFor the MotherlandHearts of Iron IIIHOI3: Their Finest Hour
    Heir to the ThroneImpireSemper FiMount & Blade: Warband500k club
    Europa Universalis IV: Pre-orderEUIV: Call to arms event

    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Belgium
    Posts
    1,205
    I honestly do not see the point of losing limbs, it does not contribute anything in my opinion. Some blood seems to be in order of course.
    "There are no limits to what science can explore."

    -Ernest Solvay, Belgian Chemist

  6. #6
    Quote Originally Posted by Digu21 View Post
    Hopefully lots of gore and stuff
    Yeah, we're such warmongering bunch of guys eh? At least we want it in games and not IRL

    Quote Originally Posted by Salahudin View Post
    Ouch.
    Do we know how that wound actually might have happened?

    Also gore is generally good, but you don't want to over kill it.
    Depends on what your definition of overkill are! Historical accurate violence is what I demand as a possible customer
    (That fatal damage is done by sword, if you do some google you will find more pictures of skeletons with serious damages caused by different weapons)

    Quote Originally Posted by Beowulf1990 View Post
    I honestly do not see the point of losing limbs, it does not contribute anything in my opinion. Some blood seems to be in order of course.
    It does contribute gameplay and joy! Humans are mere creatures that draws to such attraction like as violence and sex, we demand exciting gameplay through beautiful art of blood spraying from beheaded soldiers, men screaming in pain when its right arm is chopped off.. thought!
    Last edited by Kaiser Timo; 26-02-2012 at 22:20.

  7. #7
    Lt. General Beowulf1990's Avatar
    Crusader Kings IIDivine WindFor the MotherlandHearts of Iron IIIHOI3: Their Finest Hour
    Heir to the ThroneImpireSemper FiMount & Blade: Warband500k club
    Europa Universalis IV: Pre-orderEUIV: Call to arms event

    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Belgium
    Posts
    1,205
    See if you go overboard with this, it's going to become a distraction form the actual gameplay. Not to mention they'll probably want a teen rating from the ESRB.
    "There are no limits to what science can explore."

    -Ernest Solvay, Belgian Chemist

  8. #8
    Quote Originally Posted by Beowulf1990 View Post
    See if you go overboard with this, it's going to become a distraction form the actual gameplay. Not to mention they'll probably want a teen rating from the ESRB.
    What do you know of it? Is that so? nah, when playing other gore games you are focused to win! Gore just allows you to smile when facing a severed head rolling in air past your screen, it makes the game more addictive!
    Sir, your argument is invalid, its like as saying arrows should not be implemented because its a distraction...

  9. #9
    Lt. General Beowulf1990's Avatar
    Crusader Kings IIDivine WindFor the MotherlandHearts of Iron IIIHOI3: Their Finest Hour
    Heir to the ThroneImpireSemper FiMount & Blade: Warband500k club
    Europa Universalis IV: Pre-orderEUIV: Call to arms event

    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Belgium
    Posts
    1,205
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaiser Timo View Post
    What do you know of it? Is that so? nah, when playing other gore games you are focused to win! Gore just allows you to smile when facing a severed head rolling in air past your screen, it makes the game more addictive!
    Sir, your argument is invalid, its like as saying arrows should not be implemented because its a distraction...
    ;
    No, because arrows are a gameplay element. Gore has no gameplay value. It's purely aesthetic.
    "There are no limits to what science can explore."

    -Ernest Solvay, Belgian Chemist

  10. #10
    Didn't they have to make a watered down version of RO2 so they could sell it in Germany?

    Anyway, I'd like to see some dismemberment, just as long as it isn't something you see in every melee fight.

  11. #11
    Quote Originally Posted by Beowulf1990 View Post
    ;
    No, because arrows are a gameplay element. Gore has no gameplay value. It's purely aesthetic.
    No it doesnt have gameplay value! But it have art and the beauty of war value! However this thread is for devs to answer and peoples adding their opinion. We know your already

    Quote Originally Posted by ProjectAngel View Post
    Didn't they have to make a watered down version of RO2 so they could sell it in Germany?

    Anyway, I'd like to see some dismemberment, just as long as it isn't something you see in every melee fight.
    So what? Germany is one country, there are many many other countries that allows gore whatsoever!
    Agreed, but a bit more

  12. #12
    I would like to point out something to all the proponents of gore in this thread: Gore in video games =/= realistic gore. Even supposedly 'gory' video games like the Gears of War series or the God of War series have nothing more than ragdolls made of hamburger. In video games, humans do not have bones, organs, muscles and nerves. In real life, they do.

    Real gore traumatizes people. Even mere images of real gore make people sick in the stomach, or feel weak and light headed. Realistic gore is a terrible, terrible thing, and those few who actually like it can generally be classified as 'psychopaths'.

    Thus, before one makes an argument for gore in video games based on 'realism' or 'historical accuracy', I would encourage them to look up actual photographs of the gore they so desire. Look up photographs of a man with his arm chopped off, the tip of his bone showing through the flesh. Look up photographs of actual, decapitated humans, and see the masses of muscle, the chopped windpipe and gullet, the severed spinal cord. Look up photographs of a human with their stomach sliced open, their livers, their guts, their intestines spilling out. These are not pleasant images. These are not images that should be in video games. These are the 'realistic gore' you so desire.

    Thus, effectively, a debate on gore in video games is between videogame-style 'hamburger ragdolls' that can be safely blown up or dismembered without severe repercussions (since your brain instinctively recognises that it is not realistic) or bodies that barely bleed and cannot be cut apart. Neither of these are particularly realistic. And if the choice is between unrealistic meat dolls or unrealistic invincible indestructible bodies, I would happily choose the latter in a heartbeat.

  13. #13
    Quote Originally Posted by Sylon View Post
    And if the choice is between unrealistic meat dolls or unrealistic invincible indestructible bodies, I would happily choose the latter in a heartbeat.
    So you are saying you wouldn't like to see someone's head fly off if you connected perfectly with an axe to it?

    I would.

  14. #14
    Quote Originally Posted by ProjectAngel View Post
    So you are saying you wouldn't like to see someone's head fly off if you connected perfectly with an axe to it?

    I would.
    So would I.
    But think of how their 'bleeding' system would work with this.
    They'd have to introduce some sort of 'critical' hit system to account for some randomness in the blow.
    If there was a 'sure' way to chop someone's head every time, then the game veterans/pro's will soon run around chopping heads for fun =p which isn't bad.
    Check out my Archery suggestion - http://alturl.com/o52iz
    And my gaming channel - http://alturl.com/tyfoq

  15. #15
    Quote Originally Posted by Sylon View Post
    I would like to point out something to all the proponents of gore in this thread: Gore in video games =/= realistic gore. Even supposedly 'gory' video games like the Gears of War series or the God of War series have nothing more than ragdolls made of hamburger. In video games, humans do not have bones, organs, muscles and nerves. In real life, they do.

    Real gore traumatizes people. Even mere images of real gore make people sick in the stomach, or feel weak and light headed. Realistic gore is a terrible, terrible thing, and those few who actually like it can generally be classified as 'psychopaths'.

    Thus, before one makes an argument for gore in video games based on 'realism' or 'historical accuracy', I would encourage them to look up actual photographs of the gore they so desire. Look up photographs of a man with his arm chopped off, the tip of his bone showing through the flesh. Look up photographs of actual, decapitated humans, and see the masses of muscle, the chopped windpipe and gullet, the severed spinal cord. Look up photographs of a human with their stomach sliced open, their livers, their guts, their intestines spilling out. These are not pleasant images. These are not images that should be in video games. These are the 'realistic gore' you so desire.

    Thus, effectively, a debate on gore in video games is between videogame-style 'hamburger ragdolls' that can be safely blown up or dismembered without severe repercussions (since your brain instinctively recognises that it is not realistic) or bodies that barely bleed and cannot be cut apart. Neither of these are particularly realistic. And if the choice is between unrealistic meat dolls or unrealistic invincible indestructible bodies, I would happily choose the latter in a heartbeat.
    You cannot compare game violence with irl violence! You sound like as the ladies lobby in Germany!
    What I desire is realistic way of chopping off arm when landing a killing blow, not study every iota of pelvus! I daresay you didnt care when shooting off mutated humans head in i.e. Killing Floor, L4D, Dead space etc...

  16. #16
    I vaguely recall one of the devs hinting towards decapitation and such in one of their interviews earlier this month, though there were no real words on gore in general and dismemberment.

  17. #17
    Captain Digu21's Avatar

    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    , Sweden
    Posts
    452
    Quote Originally Posted by Sylon View Post
    I would like to point out something to all the proponents of gore in this thread: Gore in video games =/= realistic gore. Even supposedly 'gory' video games like the Gears of War series or the God of War series have nothing more than ragdolls made of hamburger. In video games, humans do not have bones, organs, muscles and nerves. In real life, they do.

    Real gore traumatizes people. Even mere images of real gore make people sick in the stomach, or feel weak and light headed. Realistic gore is a terrible, terrible thing, and those few who actually like it can generally be classified as 'psychopaths'.

    Thus, before one makes an argument for gore in video games based on 'realism' or 'historical accuracy', I would encourage them to look up actual photographs of the gore they so desire. Look up photographs of a man with his arm chopped off, the tip of his bone showing through the flesh. Look up photographs of actual, decapitated humans, and see the masses of muscle, the chopped windpipe and gullet, the severed spinal cord. Look up photographs of a human with their stomach sliced open, their livers, their guts, their intestines spilling out. These are not pleasant images. These are not images that should be in video games. These are the 'realistic gore' you so desire.

    Thus, effectively, a debate on gore in video games is between videogame-style 'hamburger ragdolls' that can be safely blown up or dismembered without severe repercussions (since your brain instinctively recognises that it is not realistic) or bodies that barely bleed and cannot be cut apart. Neither of these are particularly realistic. And if the choice is between unrealistic meat dolls or unrealistic invincible indestructible bodies, I would happily choose the latter in a heartbeat.
    It seems as you see us as blood loving killers, hope im wrong at that point ?

    We desire some amount of gore and perhaps as far as heads chopped off. Because firstly this game isnt intended for kids, if you dont prove me wrong that is. We can take the virtual gore, we want it for more realism. Makes the game a more mature.. In my opinion, but then again they shouldnt make it as a slaughter and blood is everywhere and limbs and heads flying around.


  18. #18
    I would ask that those of you who dispute my argument read it again, this time more carefully. If you do, you will realise that the crux of my argument is that the gore you so desire is not, in fact, realistic. I have already made my case on why videogame gore is not realistic, so I shall not harp on that point any longer. But since it seems my point did not get through, I shall repeat it plainly:

    Video game gore is not realistic. Human bodies made of hamburger is not realistic. What you think is 'realistic gore' is not, in fact, realistic in the slightest. Get it right.

    As someone who has actually studied the human muscular and skeletal systems in detail, this point irks me to no end. Humans have bones. Humans have muscles. Humans have organs. That is the point I wish to get across.

    If you wish to argue for gore in whatever video game of your choice, please do some research before going on and on about how you want it to be 'realistic'. Video game gore is not realistic, nor should it be, and thus that line of argument is invalid. The choice, then, is between a ridiculous meatloaf human, or an equally ridiculous invincible human corpse. One takes up unnecessary development time on the part of the developer and additional CPU resources on the part of the user, all in order to satiate the hungers of those who think over-the-top, cartoonish gore is 'cool' and 'edgy'. The other does not. Thus I made my argument regarding these points.

    I do not intend to convince those who are dead set on having their cartoon gore in whatever game they play. My intention in posting the above was to point out to the good fellows at Fatshark that no, gore is not needed to be realistic since any gore that is added in would be equally as unrealistic anyway. Perhaps it might have been an unnecessary move on my part, for they may very well be aware of this already, but nevertheless on the off chance that it was not I felt obliged to make this point.

    Thus I close my argument. I have said my piece, and have little intention of getting into a circular argument the likes of which are so common on the Internet. I would however like to ask one last thing of you, and that is that you would re-read the two posts I have wrote before you reply (should you reply) lest you misunderstand my point and get into a meaningless argument.

    And no, I do not think any of you are psychopaths, since none of you are asking for actual rendition of the individual bones, muscles, and nerves in the human body just so you can chop them apart. Some of you, however, simply happen to possess a less-than-ideal knowledge of the human anatomy, which is a sad thing considering the importance of such knowledge. To you, I recommend doing a bit of studying- I have found my knowledge of the human muscular system, for one, to be very useful when dealing with muscle aches and bodybuilding exercises.

  19. #19
    Rocker moth Wave's Avatar
    Crusader Kings IIEU3 CompleteMagickaEuropa Universalis: Rome500k club

    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Perniö, Finland
    Posts
    824
    I don't know much about this game but this topic just caught my eye

    In my opinion the best way for everyone would be making official "mod" which would add that +18 rating gore into the game, so the game itself would be fine for a little younger players as well and that mod would be downloadable from the game company's website so you could acquire that if you want extra mess into the battlefields.

    I know that someone might take this as circumventing ESRB (and even law?) so it could cause trouble for the company.

    My opinion about the main thing here - blood and gore - is that it is fine in the games, somehow the pleasure of playing certain games grows when you have some gore mod installed but it's not required to play in any case. M&B as an example is just fine without any mods, even if painting you and your horse red is kinda annoying, but I've played it with mod that allowed removing body parts with some slashing and it was better than the original in my opinion (perhaps I have some viking blood or something in me? ). Same thing with Fallout 3 New Vegas that kinda demanded a gore mod because you had a chance to shoot an arm off or whatever but as it just dropped off it wasn't so satisfying but it was just fine to play it as it was because after all blood and gore wasn't the key thing in the game.

    - Wave
    My modding stuff:
    Wave's modding guide:
    a tutorial for adding countries to EU: Rome, works with EU3 too!
    Wave's modding guide #2: Understanding and creating events

    Ongoing AARs:
    Letters from wAAR - An experimental Rome AAR with Epigoni Mod
    Winner of the Best character writer of the week award 1/6/12
    This is SPARTA! Can the world be dominated by squads of 300 men swinging spears and crying the name of their home country?

    Legions of Rome! RISE and show them all our might!

  20. #20
    Quote Originally Posted by Salahudin View Post
    So would I.
    But think of how their 'bleeding' system would work with this.
    They'd have to introduce some sort of 'critical' hit system to account for some randomness in the blow.
    If there was a 'sure' way to chop someone's head every time, then the game veterans/pro's will soon run around chopping heads for fun =p which isn't bad.
    I was thinking it would be a random chance thing and not something a player could intentionally pull off. Would make it more of a little treat to see it happen once in a blue moon and would also prevent it from being abused.

    Quote Originally Posted by Sylon View Post
    ...
    "I was in Nam man, you don't know the things I've seen..."

    Lol

    I have seen some pretty nasty things myself so I can see the point you are making, but I think the vast majority of people would prefer to see some gore in the game, no matter how unrealistic to those who have a greater knowledge of the human body it may be.

    Also, it is much more realistic to have a limb fall off in game when struck perfectly than to have nothing happen, so i think your point about that argument being invalid is invalid.
    Last edited by ProjectAngel; 27-02-2012 at 19:46.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts