• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

STMO

Captain
66 Badges
Feb 2, 2007
  • Stellaris: Synthetic Dawn
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mare Nostrum
  • Stellaris
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Cadet
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Colonel
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Field Marshal
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rights of Man
  • Stellaris: Digital Anniversary Edition
  • Stellaris: Leviathans Story Pack
  • Stellaris - Path to Destruction bundle
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mandate of Heaven
  • Europa Universalis IV: Third Rome
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Death or Dishonor
  • Crusader Kings II: Conclave
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cradle of Civilization
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Expansion Pass
  • Stellaris: Humanoids Species Pack
  • Stellaris: Apocalypse
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rule Britannia
  • Stellaris: Distant Stars
  • Europa Universalis IV: Dharma
  • Stellaris: Megacorp
  • Crusader Kings II: Holy Fury
  • Europa Universalis IV: Golden Century
  • Imperator: Rome
  • Hearts of Iron 4: Arms Against Tyranny
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
  • Europa Universalis III
  • Europa Universalis III: Chronicles
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Europa Universalis IV: Art of War
  • Europa Universalis IV: Conquest of Paradise
  • Europa Universalis IV: Wealth of Nations
  • Europa Universalis IV: Call to arms event
  • For the Motherland
  • Hearts of Iron III
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Europa Universalis IV: Res Publica
  • Europa Universalis: Rome
  • Victoria 2
  • 500k Club
  • Crusader Kings II: Holy Knight (pre-order)
  • Europa Universalis III: Collection
  • Europa Universalis IV: El Dorado
  • Europa Universalis IV: Pre-order
  • Crusader Kings II: Way of Life
  • Europa Universalis IV: Common Sense
The concept about Matrilineal Marriage is complicated. It is found picking your King and in diplomacy mode pick this option.
- Who from your own court will be able to be picked up?
- How do you use it tactical?

I tried to pick up one of the Kings and found a vacant here, but why couldn't I pick my own 16 year old daughter? The list from my court was just with 2 low ranked woman which of cause was a no go.

I would really much appreciate some comments and tactical ideas to this concept.

How is it complicated? It simply means that all children will be of the mother's dynasty, not the fathers. (in modern terms, the husband changes his surname to match his wife). Bastards and Lowborns have to marry this way.

I use matrilineal marriage to further my dynasty by finding the claiments to kingdoms and inviting them to my court I then arrange MM's with my daughters and wait for the offspring. I keep an eye on the claiments and assasinate if required. I currently have my dynasty as potential heirs for England and France using this tactic. One particular king got carried away assasinating and fell victim himself so it can be risky.

I use matrilineal marriage to further my dynasty by finding the claiments to kingdoms and inviting them to my court I then arrange MM's with my daughters and wait for the offspring. I keep an eye on the claiments and assasinate if required. I currently have my dynasty as potential heirs for England and France using this tactic. One particular king got carried away assasinating and fell victim himself so it can be risky.

What's the advantage of inviting the claiments to your court before marrying your daughters to them? Wouldn't your daughter's offspring join your dynasty along with their claims anyway?

What's the advantage of inviting the claiments to your court before marrying your daughters to them? Wouldn't your daughter's offspring join your dynasty along with their claims anyway?
Characters don't like to marry matrilinearly, unless the woman has a title already. Getting them to your court lets you force the marriage on them.

Aye...

It's a tactical aspect indeed, and the more interesting way to rack up claims/inheritances of different provinces by marrying this way... It also pads your Dynasty Prestige too if you continue to give them titles and they go out on their own trying to conquer other provinces (since a fraction of that carries over to your next ruling character, which in turn boosts your score even by a little bit)..

There are times when it can backfire... For example, I'm playing the Duchy of Bohemia and married one of my Daughters matrilineal to one of the Sons of the Duke of Bavaria. He wasn't first in line for him, but maybe like 3 or 4th or so, so that’s how I was able to get him to my court, and most importantly he had a claim on the Duchy of Bavaria which I could plan to use in the future with the off-springs he has with my Daughter... So, he had 3 Kids with my Daughter and I thought I was safe and made him a Count of Bromo (sp?), all good right?

LOL... Nope.... All 3 of the kids died around 5-10yrs old, and thinking there would be a chance that my Daughter and Son-in-law can have another kid (as they were just in their late 20s) I wasn't worried to much, so kept on playing... A few months later my son in law died suddenly (didn't say anything about assassination), and since he had no kids alive with my daughter anymore, the province past to his father instead which was naturally the Duke of Bavaria (As remember I gave the title to my Son-in-Law, not my Daughter)... And now I got one province in my lands owned by the Duke of Bavaria, and it just so happens he's now become the "Holy Roman Empire" so I guess I won't be getting back that province anytime soon...

So yea, marrying Daughters in this game is not only dangerous the usual way (since any off-springs will have Claims on your main duchies after your Daughter passes away), but also if its matrilineal it can be just dangerous as hell when it comes to "claim" aspects that can be inherited through their kids, but I guess that's what makes the game fun.
:)

Note that, currently, you cannot do a matrilineal betrothal, so you have to wait until your daughter is 16 before marrying her matrilinealy.

Ah okay, I didn't know that. I also didn't understand before why people insisted on inviting the people to court before offering them MM. See, that's why the OP said that MM is complicated, because it most certainly is if you don't understand it, which I didn't. But I understand it a little better now, so thanks to those people above who actually bothered to explain the process. I appreciate it. :)

@andb52
You still have to actually offer a marriage once the betrothed come of age, and I'm pretty sure you can offer a matrilineal marriage once the betrothed come of age (The AI can too, so read those pop-ups closely!).

@andb52
You still have to actually offer a marriage once the betrothed come of age, and I'm pretty sure you can offer a matrilineal marriage once the betrothed come of age (The AI can too, so read those pop-ups closely!).

Yep I can confirm they indeed do, especially if the lady is a Countess or Duchess, they will usually offer a matrillneal marriage and 90% of the time (well 100% for me, as I've never seen it, though some have reported otherwise), an Heir to a Duchy or County will never accept a matrillneal marriage, even the 2nd and 3rd in line... Although sometimes you can convince the 2nd or 3rd in line to be invited to your court if their desire to press their claims outweighs their reluctance and liege opinion, but it's still a big risk to take. Hence why it's usually not smart to offer betrothals for your Daughter if you intend to marry them matrilineal. (wait till their 16 and see what's available)...