• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Ambigore

Major
28 Badges
Nov 15, 2004
  • Crusader Kings II: Conclave
  • Crusader Kings III: Royal Edition
  • Crusader Kings III
  • BATTLETECH: Heavy Metal
  • BATTLETECH: Season pass
  • Crusader Kings II: Holy Fury
  • BATTLETECH: Flashpoint
  • Cities: Skylines - Parklife
  • Cities: Skylines - Parklife Pre-Order
  • BATTLETECH - Digital Deluxe Edition
  • Crusader Kings II: Jade Dragon
  • BATTLETECH
  • Crusader Kings II: Monks and Mystics
  • Crusader Kings II: Reapers Due
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Crusader Kings II: Horse Lords
  • Crusader Kings II: Way of Life
  • Crusader Kings II: Holy Knight (pre-order)
  • Cities: Skylines
  • 500k Club
  • Victoria 2
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
  • Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
  • Crusader Kings II: The Republic
  • Crusader Kings II: Rajas of India
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
  • Crusader Kings II: Charlemagne
This is a bit of an exploit that I discovered while reforming my empire and banshing my vassals. Since banishment usually costs 10 piety, there'll come a time when you run out of piety. To solve this problem, create a bishopic vassals which will give you +piety (around 25+ piety, depending on the title you give him). Banish him. Rinse and repeat until you are in piety heaven. Use this to banish more people ($$$) or to get a Holy title in 3 years.

Does it stay that way?
I though tyranny was piled up for the ruler and is re-applied to vassals in regular intervals.

If that is not the case, file a bug report and Pdox will fix i. :)

It's not a bug, it's WAD. Why should a new count worry what you did with old feudal lords.

His strategy is an exploit of that system, though, and probably should be prevented but it's not possible to do in the bigger realms anyway.

It's not a bug, it's WAD. Why should a new count worry what you did with old feudal lords.
Word spreads fast, those banished will not stay silent.
Would you accept titles from a duke that is know for having imprisoned and banished all of his former vassals for no reason? I guess you would think twice about it.

Word spreads fast, those banished will not stay silent.
Would you accept titles from a duke that is know for having imprisoned and banished all of his former vassals for no reason? I guess you would think twice about it.

Infinite banishment to gain piety is indeed an exploit but it shouldn't happen realistically. First reason is why would you imprison/banish someone?
1) to gain his title personally
2) to give his titles to someone else

If you already did 2), then the new guy doesn't have any reason to fear. CK2 is about characters and by banishing you got rid of a character and got a new one. Old establishment might be angry but the new guys should be loyal to you. It happened historically and I don't see why it shouldn't happen in the game. Likewise, you don't get bonuses across characters either - if you defeated rebels for the old count, new count isn't gonna get +25 for defeated rebels.

Just remove this exploit by raising piety lost on banishment to 25 and there would be no banishment/grant bishoprics exploit ad infinitum.

His strategy is an exploit of that system, though, and probably should be prevented but it's not possible to do in the bigger realms anyway.

Why should wife number four worry about the previous three wives mysteriously disappearing and there being three depressions in the woods behind the house. Because patterns repeat?

Tell that to the wives of Henry VIII.

Unless a ruler is stark raving mad, there's a reason why anyone would be dealt with harshly (executed, banished etc...). New characters would usually jump at the opportunity for elevation of their status (becoming a feudal lord, marrying a ruler etc...) and be careful not to repeat the mistakes of their predecessors.

CK2 already completely favours benevolent rulers, you can't be a tyrant and have everyone be quiet due to fear of you. You can only be kind, just, peaceful, lawful and benevolent if you want no rebellions. You already can't execute or banish traitors with no penalty (why?). Raising in rebellion was the worst kind of offence back then, with those who did ended up tortured and quartered. In the game, you can take one title from them, and only from the ruler who rebelled, not from those involved.

Allowing tyranny to be remembered by all characters, new and old, you're giving people even less options to manage their realm. Banishment would be impossible because -140 would ensure that you would have constant rebellions every day until your ruler died. Changing that would require complete rework of the banishment mechanic.

Also, even with the most tyranical rulers, as soon as a place was opened, other people jumped at the opportunity and actually tried to keep on the good side of the ruler instead of rebelling