• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Really interesting stuff here; I, like many other posters, tried (and failed) at an Iberian character. I look forward to more!

Thanks. I played a while ahead and things are taking a downward turn for Sancho. The war proceeds only mildly well and his son is awful. I'm tempted to try to assassinate him. After all what good is Sancho doing God's will if his heir is going to screw it up right?

I'm sure God would understand if Sancho "helped" his son to meet him sooner than expected. ;)

I agree. The biggest issue I have right now is I have an enormous amount of territory but only about 5% of it is providing any levees. the Duke of Marrekesh has been annihilating guys around him for Mauretania. Sancho may have to push across the strait to secure the future even if he takes Spain. His cousins finally broke down for war too.

Sancho – 1077—1085 – Holy Wars for Sevilla & Beja

famouswritersancho.jpg

Already word was spreading of my devotion to God. The writers of the ages sought to gain fame by writing of my glories. I reluctantly paid the so-called artist so that word would spread and more of the faithful would flock to the cause of God.
The Andulusians were whimpering with fear. Already out of the great Muslim Iberian nations only Beja and Sevilla remaind unscathed. Sevilla was to be the next country to feel the wrath of God.

While the war was going on I continued to educate my son Sancho, now 2 years of age. Unfortunately he had yet to begin to talk which was unusual for a child of his age. I decided to let things go for now and trust in God.

sanchoslowtotalk.jpg

Unfortunately, God it seemed, was busy with my armies.

sanchostutter.jpg

I’m sure things would come right in time, I just had to have faith.
God was still with me and the Danes had come in force.

danishvictorysevilla.jpg

But again God had other plans. Shortly after the defeat of the Sevillan army, King Svend went on to a better place. I rejoiced for his salvation but the Danes pulled out of our alliance and abandoned their holdings. I sent my sister a letter and prevailed upon her to convince her husband to bring the Danes back to Iberia where they were so sorely needed. My sister did as I asked.

knudaccept.jpg

The Danes would return. I rejoiced again at the decision that led me to send Uracca to Denmark. I had yet to see Philippe send any forces but he was heavily committed against William. At this same time we went through a series of peasant revolts that I utilized mercenaries to put down on their way to join the battle.

Cordoba was subdued and joined our righteous cause. Soon Sevilla would fall. The Danish sent another army led by my brother in law King Knud. The Danes had answered our call yet again. In truth they were our brothers and I cursed the alliance with France that had yet to produce any tangible benefit. Damn Philippe wasting Catholic lives in fruitless wars when the real fight was here.
My cousin was in dire straits against Beja but I could not be distracted by defensive wars. No Beja would fall. Phiilippe’s war had ended in a white peace and perhaps I could finally count on his support. My loyal brother Knud was more than willing to push the Andalusians back even further

bejaadded.jpg

I knew God backed my decision to leave Castille to its fate when I received the news from Emma…

sanchopregnant.jpg

I knew then my duty to the Kingdom’s security was done and it was time to focus on the glory of God and making my vision a reality.

sanchochaste.jpg

I knew I had made the right decision when my son Gutierre was born.

gutierre.jpg

The war was proceeding with ease. Sevilla would soon fall and Beja would be next. I could not believe that fifteen short years ago I had had my vision of the destruction of the West. From such humble beginnings I was the most dominant king of Iberia and I would push the true faith to every corner of the continent.

sevilladefeatsoon.jpg

The church came to me asking for gold to sponsor a local saint. They didn’t’ come right out and say it but we all knew the play was in my honor.

gloryofgod.jpg

The Church was duly grateful

charitable.jpg

Sancho continues to be a disappointment. His bishop taught him that humility was the path to righteousness but humility was a false virtue. Pride is what makes one strong and allows one to properly serve the Lord. Humility is good, for a peasant, but not for a king.

sanchoproud.jpg

Sancho listened intently as I explained, and I think he understood his responsibilities.

sanchoproud2.jpg

Despite our talk my son appeared to not be able to talk properly to strangers. At the advice of my bishop, and against my better judgment, I decided to pray to the Blessed Virgin instead to God.

sanchoshy.jpg

But the Virgin did nothing and Sancho continued to be an embarrassment to me. My bishops were quick to point out that my boots were hard to fill.

inspiredbishop.jpg

Word reached me that my cousin had surrendered to Beja and lost Portucale from Castille. Fool. With the power of two realms behind him he could not hold back even one nation. I knew that that meant an army from Beja was imminent and Philippe had still sent no forces. My loyal brother in law King Knud was weary of combat and his forces sadly dimished. The Beja army trounced my weak mercenary forces and began to siege my territory.

bejaarmy.jpg

When the word came that Knud had been caught unawares by the Beja army deep in their territory I knew the time had come to accept the surrender of Sevilla. If Knud fell then all our work in Sevilla would have been for nothing. Shortly after I received word from the Emir that he accepted my terms word came that the Danes had been defeated.

knuddenmarkdefeat.jpg

Luckily my brother lived although his incompetence put me in a severe bind with the failure of Philippe to show. Where could I find a reliable ally? Meanwhile I watched in amusement as my son learned the art of diplomacy…

sanchohonest.jpg

The daughter of the former King of England sought to kill my son. I decided that I would not intervene as God would let his will be known.

sanchoplot.jpg

Plus it my son was continuing to disappoint me at every turn. How would someone afraid of spiders face Andalusian armies on the field?

It seemed that I would be unable to succeed in Beja. My fop of a cousin in Castille vented his rage on my Cousin in Leon and declared war for his territory. My former victims in Valencia joined in the assault and my cousin Alfonso was in dire straits. France failed to appear due to a revolt by the Duke of Burgundy. At least I hoped Philippe’s reasons were nothing more than that. My council wanted to go to my cousin’s aid but I forestalled them. Should Alfonso fall Fernando would control a realm near as large as my own. Moreso his realm was fully Catholic and properly Iberian and provided more soldiers. While Fernando hated me his sister was far more amenable. Should Fernando succeed in his claim on Leon and then fall victim to an accident… two strong Iberian kingdoms stood a far better chance of pushing the Andalusians out.

kingdomofaragon1085.jpg

My son was diligently applying himself to his studies but I despaired of his suitability of continuing my work. My spymaster reported that Gytha was having problems finding any backers to her plot so my son was safe for now.

Very interesting read indeed. Sounds like you are (and will continue to) have problems getting much out of your new provinces due to the modifiers, but they sure look pretty for now! And will benefit you later. Might it be possible to navigate your way to the thrones of the other Iberian kingdoms through "accidents", or do they have too many heirs at this point? Since they're already Catholic and everything that could be a nice boost and a good way to lower your dependence on faraway allies.

Last edited:
@Legolas -- Thanks

@Bballman23 -- Unfortunately Sancho doesn't start out direct heir to any of the other thrones like Castille/Leon/Galicia do for each other (in fact Castille picked up Galicia due to the king dying in one of my wars I think). Plus Sancho doesn't have the funds early on to assassinate people. But he has definitely considered how much easier things would be for him if certain of his cousins would get with the program and put their forces at someone's hand who needed them more. There's more on this in the next update as Sancho continue his rivalry with Castille.

Sancho –1085 – 1093 Muslim Reprisals & Holy War for Valencia II
As always I spend the afternoon studying my maps. While my land has spread far and wide the majority of the territory is still transitioning and the people are not supportive in fighting the wars that so desperately need to be fought. Considering how recently they were ruled by the Andalusians this was not surprising in the least.

The sound of my guards straightening in their armor and gripping their weapons causes me to jump and spin at the same time as my door bursts open. I pictured myself dying before my guards could intervene and I cursed their ineptitude even as my brain belatedly realizes that the out of breath intruder was Flain, my marshall.

“My King!”, he panted, “Mauretania has declared a holy war!”

“Calm yourself Flain. We knew that this would happen eventually. What is the status of our allies?”

“France has nearly ended their rebellion. Denmark remains at our call. Your cousins…” he hesitates worried about offending me.

“Are fools. I suppose it is inevitable that Leon will fall to Fernando?” He nods. “Then we shall have to make arrangements with him. Do you think he will be amenable to working with us despite our lack of assistance? “

“Yes my King. I did as you instructed and I sent Antonio”, my Chancellor, “to speak to King Fernando and tell him that we would not interfere with his claim on your cousin because of his obvious right to rule. Antonio tells me he bought every word simultaneously believing that you only joined into the war to trick Alfonso into being more aggressive to give him the chance to end it easily. I believe he will stand by your side against Mauretania”

I grinned. “God is with us my friend. With the elimination of that fool Alfonso Fernando and I control the majority of Iberia. Only Beja is strong enough to challenge us and even they can’t stand against both of us. Have you made any progress in determining how we can bring Duke Pere to our side” . Barcelona continued to resist all our efforts to bring it under the crown of Aragon.

“No my King; Antonio continues to try to forge claims on the duchy but the people are having none of it.”

I sighed. “Why can’t these fools learn that they MUST support me. I am the only thing that stands between us and oblivion. Do they wish to explain to God why his Churches were desecrated by infidels?” I shake my head disgusted. “Send out the messengers. Call in Fernando as well as Phillipe and Knud. We shall give these Mauretanians a war.

mauretaniawar.jpg

mauretaniaallies.jpg

I agree. The biggest issue I have right now is I have an enormous amount of territory but only about 5% of it is providing any levees. the Duke of Marrekesh has been annihilating guys around him for Mauretania. Sancho may have to push across the strait to secure the future even if he takes Spain. His cousins finally broke down for war too.

You have to be really brave to play as Aragon!. Anuway, i will give a bit of advice as i have played quite a lot in Spain (although never with Aragon). To defend your self, holy orderrs are your best buddy. They defeat everything and everybody, even if outnumbered. Due to that piety is vital for any game as christian in Iberia. I always educate my heirs, so that i can get humble or zealous traits. Rmember that, if yuo are defending, holy orders will only cost you piety, not money. By the way, change your capital to Zaragoza ASAP, as it
Is far more advanced technologically.

You have to be really brave to play as Aragon!. Anuway, i will give a bit of advice as i have played quite a lot in Spain (although never with Aragon). To defend your self, holy orderrs are your best buddy. They defeat everything and everybody, even if outnumbered. Due to that piety is vital for any game as christian in Iberia. I always educate my heirs, so that i can get humble or zealous traits. Rmember that, if yuo are defending, holy orders will only cost you piety, not money. By the way, change your capital to Zaragoza ASAP, as it
Is far more advanced technologically.

Thanks for the tips!. Unfortunately I don't control Zaragosza, Barcelona does. I will actually be changing my capital to Barcelona once I figure out a way to get rid of the Duke. Having 4-5 castles in a cap is amazing.

I will keep our advice in mind for when the Holy Orders finally show up though.