+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Better crossing management - It is possible

General Demi Moderator douglasrac's Avatar
    Cities in MotionCities in Motion 2EU3 CompleteMagicka500k club

Better crossing management - It is possible

There is a project being developed to manage cars that will drive by themselves. It's actually working already. And the below is a system to manage how cars will handle by themselves to cross crossings in roads and even avenues with 6 lanes each side!

And that is what CiM should use to handle it's crossings as for now it's a bit messy.

Visit the website and download the videos. What you see are cars going very close to each other but never crashing and almost zero stop at crossings. It's a big flow of cars and no queues. They also have different speeds to simulate small cars, vans, sedans and SVUs.

Autonomous Intersection Management
    http://www.cs.utexas.edu/~aim/?p=video

P.S.: It wouldn't look realistic in CiM, but SURE is a very interesting thing.
    Taking the approach to an extreme, you can see what the reservation system enables with 6 lanes in each direction and granularity of 48.

Simulator available. Make your own parameters: http://www.cs.utexas.edu/~aim/oldsim/simulate.cgi
    Last edited by douglasrac; 25-02-2012 at 23:44.

Cities in MotionCities in Motion 2

uhh, this would not be too realistic, would it?

Maybe there is a way to change the code (didn't see in the simulator) to have a minimum distance between cars.

General Demi Moderator giladteller's Avatar
    Cities in MotionCities in Motion 2EU3 CompleteDivine WindHeir to the Throne
    MagickaKnights of Pen and Paper +1 Edition500k club

I managed to "break" it...
    In the first few moments after I started the simulation cars slowed down to a near stop when they approached the intersection. After a few more moments cars comletely stopped just after they appeared, and created a block.
    You can see in the screenshot that on every lane there is a row of cars (some of them dark-blue).
    Attachment 48579
    When I am using this color, I am speaking as a Demi-Moderator. Please PM me, or any other moderator if you have any issues with how we run the forums.

Signature?
    I don't sign on anything without my lawyer!

My Blog | Cities in Motion WIKI | Cities in Motion 2 WIKI
    CiM Wiki on social networks:
    Facebook | Twitter | Google+ | YouTube

LOL! Might be worth it reporting to them.

Lord High Admiral General Baker's Avatar
    Cities in MotionCities in Motion 2Crusader Kings IICommander: Conquest of the AmericasEuropa Universalis 3
    EU3 CompleteDivine WindFor the MotherlandHearts of Iron IIIHOI3: Their Finest Hour
    Heir to the ThroneMagickaMarch of the EaglesNaval War: Arctic CircleSemper Fi
    SengokuVictoria 2Victoria II: A House DividedVictoria II: Heart of DarknessMount & Blade: Warband
    Mount & Blade: With Fire and Sword500k clubEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-orderEUIV: Call to arms event

This would be cool in a space-city setting, perhaps, but maybe not in a modern-day human city

Cities in MotionCities in Motion 2

would be nice with the traffic lights though, that is quite realistic in this simulator.

+ Reply to Thread