+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Thread: The Rise of Heresy and the end of the Catholic Church - an Interactive Heretic AAR

Crusader Kings IIDarkest HourDeus VultEU3 CompleteDivine Wind
    Hearts of Iron IIIHeir to the ThroneVictoria: RevolutionsEuropa Universalis: RomeSemper Fi
    Victoria 2Victoria II: A House DividedRome: Vae VictisMount & Blade: WarbandEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-order

I'll vote for Cathar. Here's to a Europe painted in heretical blue instead of Catholic white!

Crusader Kings IIDarkest HourEU3 CompleteDivine WindHeir to the Throne
    Victoria 2Victoria II: A House Divided

Quote Originally Posted by TXTwilight View Post
    Just wanted to express, that the heretic ruler was a former catholic.
    Due to the pope and other catholic rulers around, the AAR would have more potential, then just being a heretic in the ERE, take over it and convert the Empire to iconoclast.
    Let´s say, he choose to play with Toulouse, become cathar and then take over France. After that he can fight his former catholic brethren and install a catharian pope -> more potential for an AAR, but that is just my opinion.
    It's not about potential, it's about votes. If people vote for Iconoclast and Iconoclast wins, the AAR will be Iconoclast.
    A rebel without a cause.

Iconoclast
    Carlos Andonie the Third, Liberal politician International Man of Mystery in Shadow of the Andes - Interactive AAR

Trololololololololollard

HoI AnthologyCities in MotionCrusader Kings IIEuropa Universalis 3Divine Wind
    For the MotherlandHearts of Iron IIIHeir to the ThroneEuropa Universalis III: In NomineKing Arthur II
    MagickaMajesty 2EU3 Napoleon's AmbitionEuropa Universalis: RomeSemper Fi
    Victoria 2Victoria II: A House DividedRome: Vae VictisMount & Blade: WarbandCK2: Holy Knight
    500k clubEuropa Universalis IV

Blog Entries
    I originally planned the vote to end tomorrow, because I had that day off for research. However, I switched days after getting poked in the eye, so I'm ending voting now.

The AAR will be a Cathar AAR, winning 21 votes to 18 for Iconoclast. Lollard was the only other choice that had more than 2 votes.

Next up: choose a date and court. 2 days to decide so I can start playing on Saturday.
    Date Options:
    September 15, 1066. The starting point for the game.
    January 1, 1150. At this point, Toulouse, Carcassone, and Narbonne have turned Cathar.
    Note: At no point do any of the actual rulers start as Cathar.

Courts:
    Duchy of Toulouse or County of Narbonne - Southern France (Languedoc), the target of the Albigensian Crusade
    County of Jülich or Pfalz - Rheinland counties, another stronghold of the Cathars. (Köln/Cologne is out, as it is a Prince-Bishopric.)
    A Northern Italian duchy or county - Catharism was popular in Italy into the late 1200's

I'll tally the votes early on Saturday (EST).

I say: Duchy of Toulouse for a strong power base to spread the truth, starting at January 1, 1150.

My Vote:

County of Narbonne

September 15 , 1066

For the MotherlandHearts of Iron IIIHeir to the ThroneEuropa Universalis III: In NomineKing Arthur II
    Victoria 2Victoria II: A House DividedRome: Vae VictisMount & Blade: WarbandCK2: Holy Knight

Blog Entries

An Introduction to Catharism

Catharism, like any Protestant denomination and most other heresies, is defined in two ways:
    • What they didn't like about the church they split from (Catholics)
    • What they believed differently from the church they split from

Quote Originally Posted by Bernard Gui
    ...they usually say of themselves that they are good Christians, ...hold the faith of the Lord Jesus Christ and his gospel as the apostles taught... occupy the place of the apostles. ...they talk to the laity of the evil lives of the clerks and prelates of the Roman Church... ...they attack and vituperate, in turn, all the sacraments of the Church, especially the sacrament of the eucharist, saying that it cannot contain the body of Christ... Of baptism, they assert that the water is material and corruptible... and cannot sanctify the soul... ...they claim that confession made to the priests of the Roman Church is useless... They assert, moreover, that the cross of Christ should not be adored or venerated... Moreover they read from the Gospels and the Epistles in the vulgar tongue, applying and expounding them in their favour and against the condition of the Roman Church...

— On the Albigensians
    What we know of the Cathar is limited and skewed, as the Church destroyed many of their works. Thus, we have a few works of theirs, and the statements of their enemies (not always the most reliable sources, no?). The Cathari generally referred to themselves as Good Men or Good Christians (it is debatable whether the term Cathars was used by them - this AAR will strive to use Good Men and Good Christians when Cathari refer to each other), and it is clear that they rose in parallel with Bogomilists, and shared many beliefs with them.

Cathars seem to have risen quickly in the mid 12th century, finding popularity in the Rheinland (especially Cologne), France, and Northern Italy. There was cross-pollination with Bogomilists, culminating with the Council of Saint-Félix which was attended by Nicetas, the Bogomilist Bishop of Constantinople. They were able to flourish in the relatively liberal and open areas of Europe, and it is clear that Cathari teachings were popular not only with the masses, but also with Church officials. An entire cathedral chapter in Orleans defected to Catharism. The church found itself outmatched in open theological debates, losing adherents, priests, and even money (as Cathars refused to tithe).

The faiths were, quite simply, doomed to conflict. The Catholic Church reveres both the Old and New Testament, whereas the Cathars disowned the Old Testament. To the Cathars, the God of the Old Testament was the Demiurge (similar to the Devil). The Cathars believed that the world was created by the Demiurge, and thus all material things were corrupt and somewhat evil. Good things (souls, for example) were created by their Good God, the God of Light.

Cathars denigrated the feudal system, as it depended on oaths. To the Catholic Church of the period, the Feudal system was an extension of divine right, and it was the natural order of things. Cathars were closer to the original church in their belief in the evils of riches, whereas Catholic Bishops were notorious for living well. Even Pope Innocent III, the richest man in Christendom, noted of the Archbishop of Narbonne:

"…He knows no other god but money and has a purse where his heart should be. His monks and canons take mistresses and live by usury… Throughout the region the prelates are the laughing stock of the laity."

The Cathars also spurned the Catholic veneration of the cross and relics, as they were physical things. They refused to eat meat, believed in reincarnation, and believed non-procreative sex was superior to procreative sex (the opposite of the Catholic Church).

With the Cathars drawing from Catholic lands, nobles, priests, and believers, Catholicism could only react with reform, stunning theological arguments, or bloodshed.

Note: This post has been copied to Post #3, to serve as an introduction to the AAR.
    Last edited by naggy; 01-03-2012 at 18:09.

September 15, 1066, Pfalz

Edit:

They refused to eat meat
    Oh god, what did we choose

believed non-procreative sex was superior to procreative sex (the opposite of the Catholic Church).
    Oh well

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Franconian View Post
    Oh god, what did we choose
    It is a little known fact that the rallying cry of the Albigensian Crusade was "For the Cheeseburgers!"

County of Narbonne - September 15, 1066.

People's Commissar of the Navy Demi Moderator Avindian's Avatar
    For the MotherlandHearts of Iron IIIHOI3: Their Finest HourHeir to the ThroneLeviathan: Warships
    March of the EaglesVictoria: RevolutionsRome GoldSemper FiSengoku
    Sword of the Stars IISupreme Ruler: Cold WarVictoria 2Victoria II: A House DividedVictoria II: Heart of Darkness
    V2 BetaCK2: Holy Knight500k clubEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-orderEUIV: Wealth of Nations
    EUIV: Conquest of ParadiseEUIV: Res Publica

1066 -- Toulouse. If we're going Cathar, then let's go Cathar all the way!
    AARland Awards TsAAR -- Q3 ACAs have finished, check out the winners!! EU IV|CK II|Vicky II|HOI 3|Darkest Hour
    Consecrated blood waters my fields: a Hvitserk megacampaign -- Brand new!
    Sonderweg oder Anderweg? -- Part 3 of the Hohenzollerns Megacampaign -- Interactive and looking for players
    Tukhachevsky's Army and the Politburo -- an Interactive Soviet TFH AAR -- Updates|Administration -- Nearing its thrilling conclusion!
    Like what you see? Check out my Inkwell for awards and completed AARs!

If I use this color, I am speaking as a Demi-Mod. If you have any questions, please PM me directly. Forum Rules|Interactive AARs|AARland Rules #1|AARland Rules #2

For the MotherlandHearts of Iron III CollectionHOI3: Their Finest HourHeir to the ThroneVictoria: Revolutions
    Rome GoldSengokuSupreme Ruler: Cold WarVictoria 2Victoria II: A House Divided
    Victoria II: Heart of DarknessRome: Vae VictisMount & Blade: With Fire and SwordCK2: Holy Knight500k club
    Europa Universalis IV

1066 Toulouse
    [22:23:51] <Groogy> Mathrim, give it to me gently
    What Crusader Kings 2 makes you say:
    [19:23:43] <Duke> I just need my damn wife to die
    [19:23:48] <Duke> Then I can invade and take their shit

200k clubCrusader Kings IIDeus VultEuropa Universalis 3Europa Universalis: Chronicles
    Heir to the ThroneEuropa Universalis III: In NomineEU3 Napoleon's AmbitionRome GoldVictoria 2
    Victoria II: A House Divided500k clubEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-order

Toulouse 66.
    On-hold: Mamma Mia! The AAR
    Completed: Europe is our dancefloor | The Shortest Road to Damascus | No Iron, One Lion, Maybe Zion
    Tintero

The July AARlander is out now, no excuse not to read it: Thread | PDF | iBooks

Crusader Kings IIDarkest HourEU3 CompleteDivine WindHeir to the Throne
    Victoria 2Victoria II: A House Divided

Pfalz, any date.
    A rebel without a cause.

General Grumpalodian Aardvark Bellay's Avatar
    Crusader Kings IIDeus VultEuropa Universalis 3Victoria 2CK2: Holy Knight

Toulouse 1066 or a County in 1150 already cathar, i'm split on this.

Btw, in the german wikipedia they explain the different levels of catharism, so if your are not priest-like, you may still be allowed to drink, eat meat and fornicate like a sailor as far as i understand. So as i understand its like in buddhism, where you can be supposed to be a supporter of your religion, but dont have to become a buddhist like the monks/buddhas (simplified here).

Your relationship to the clergy could be slightly difficult though (only simulated by roleplaying).

All hail the drunkard, greedy savior of the true faith !
    [Micromod] - Old Building Names (Pre-1.10-building-names for CK2)
    Updated CKII-UI-Font-Mod for 2.2x

CK2 Mods: User Mod Index (Don't forget to post about your mod compatibility)
    Deutsch CK2: German CK2 Sub-Forum (go there for the german translation 'repair' mod)

Honourable Saxon Thegn AlexanderPrimus's Avatar
    Crusader Kings IIDeus VultEuropa Universalis: Rome

Date and Place votes:

1150, in either Toulouse or Narbonne, whichever lets you have Carcasonne in your personal demesne, because Carcasonne is a wicked cool setting for a story!

Pfalz as an independent, powerful duchy- anytime, preferably pre-Staufens.

Toulouse: 1066

You should've called the AAR "A few Good Men" XD, 'tis a clever pun me thinks

Arseny Grigoryevich Zverev - People's Kommissar of Defense and 2nd Member of the SGO, in Avindian's Tukhachevsky's Army and the Politburo (Interactive TFH 4.02)
    RIP FoE, She was a Dame:Popa, Drunken Master of Hyperbole.
    Giuseppe di Antico in TH3's PttP. Also Governator of the Union Lists.
    Count Samuel Wilhelm Marcu Vanderhoof of Ghent, 2nd Marquess of Vanderhoof in the dead EoE.
    Otto IV von Altmark, Duke of Altmark und Saxony and Lord of the Old March
    Stadtholder Friedrich-Augustus von Altmark, Graf von Altmark in Avindian's "Sonderweg oder Anderweg?"
    The Lubbites
    Skalf, Godling and Maniac - Favourite Character

[19:42:59] <Keperry> You think wrong.
    [01:18:36] <Noco> You should be our Paradoxian Messiah

Blog Entries

Cathar mod

To integrate Cathar beliefs into the game, I am going create the following modifications:

1.) Gender equality - Cathars largely accepted women as equals to men.
    • Cathar characters may change succession to Cognatic.
    • Cathar characters will not have a relations penalty with a female ruler.
    • Non-Basque Catholics will get a relations penalty against a Cathar ruler with Cognatic succession.
    • If possible, I'll make AI Catholic rulers to prefer switching away from Cognatic.

2.) Anti-war - Cathars were anti-war, to the point that Parfaits did not fight to defend themselves in the Crusades. The ordinary Cathars did fight to defend themselves.
    • If possible, Cathar bishops will not be able to lead armies
    • Cathar characters will get a -10 relations penalty with a liege that has started an offensive war.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast