• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Toulouse seems to be surrounded by too big neighbours. And if she turns heretic... hard times incoming...

Marital Options

Since I have a splitting headache and am not up to playing, I'm not going to get a chance to do much tonight. In the meantime, let's choose a wife.

Dynastic Options:
Princess Adelheid (20) and Adela (21) of the Holy Roman Empire. Sisters to Kaiser Heinrich IV. Adelheid is good in Learning, Adela is good in Intrigue.
Urraka (26), Ermesinda (25), Ximena (21) and Maior (20), Princesses of Navarra. Sisters to King Antso of Navarra. Ermesinda is good in Diplomacy and Learning, Maior is good in Diplomacy. Urraka and Ximena are known as being somewhat sinful.
Sancha (18), Princess of Aragon. Sister to King Sancho of Aragon.
Princess Emma of France (11), sister to King Phillipe.
Constance (21), daughter of Duke Robert the Old of Burgundy. Good in Intrigue, but has a negative personality.
Adele (12), daughter to Duke William the Bastard of Normandy. May not be a good choice, as he is currently foolishly invading England, which could never possibly work.

Skilled Courtier:
Aènor (21), courtier in Thouars: Skilled in stewardship and learning, and a decent diplomat. Has a temper.

Last edited:
Nice guy, Guilhem looks to be. Exactly what are his traits? I don't want to be pushy, but is it okay of you could post the traits of any future rulers too?

Flamboyant Schemer, Just, Temperate, and Gregarious. I tried to work it into the text. :)

Toulouse seems to be surrounded by too big neighbours. And if she turns heretic... hard times incoming...

Yup. Just like real life!

Maybe like the Visigoths, you too will have to push into Iberia to escape those powerful neighbours when excommunication comes... and you already have a pretty decent excuse against the count of Barcelona.

I would like to model the alliance between Hugh of Lusignan, Guilhem of Toulouse, and Berenguer Ramon II of Barcelona, who actually allied with each other. However, I don't have a starting alliance with Hugh in Lusignan, so I doubt I'll get one with Berenguer Ramon when he takes the throne.

CK also doesn't model Berenguer Ramon and Ramon Berenguer's co-rulership after their father's death, until Ramon Berenguer's suspicious death in a hunting accident.

I would vote for Adelheid. I think it would behoove us to have a powerful friend like the Kaiser should things go badly.

Adela

Sancha. After all, you'll end running southwards :p

Aenor - if you are not looking for an ally and are going to teach your kids some Stewardship
Emma - having France as an ally, you might easily be dragged into a war with Aquitaine. Dangerous but maybe rewarding too
Adela - but make her love you, a dangerous choice otherwise

Did you mention how many votes we have ? ;)
In case of one vote i'd go for hmmm......Adela.

Btw, do you mod in full access of court jobs for women ? As i understand there was equality of gender.

Ximena the Sinful!

Another vote for Ximena from me, you need some sin in an AAR about heresy!

Tricky one. Let's consider this with a mind to strategery. ;) Good to have a brother-in-law in Franconia in case of a war with Paris. The Aragonese connection, well, if you produce an heir, he or she will be possibly third or fourth in line for a royal title. Getting a royal title means the Capets get claims on Toulouse, which may be playing that card too soon, unless you want to give up your patrimony in exchange for Jaca?

If you are patient, you could try for a marriage with Aines de Poitou who has not yet reached menarche in 1066 by the most liberal predictions. You still have your brother who could take over, and have a nephew who inherits Provence + Toulouse.

Emma Capet doesn't do that much for you as a vassal of her brother. If you wait for Agnes de Barcelona (age 10 in 1066), you could get an eventual claim on the duchy, but not directly inherit (agnatic primogeniture). But you would also gain a rather potent Iberian ally. In my experience, the House of Barcelona is much more aggressive than historically, conquering the rest of Muslim-held Aragon and usurping the title from the OPM Sancho Ramirez Jimena.