• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Hi Meneth! I'm working on ways to update a printed file(?)(Java) automatically... so you can still update your forum page, yet the printed article will also update along with you... (??whether successful is yet to be found out...) But could you please add a BookMark to your separate Headings. Thanks.
I'm not sure what you mean.

I'm not sure what you mean.

You see, when I read back your text, I'm getting the whole page, whereas I just want to be able to get each part of the 16, individually. So I thought if you could bookmark each title, it would allow me to focus on that particular chapter?

You could try something like this: ??
...............................................................................................................................
Bookmarks

Bookmarks on a page are very easy to make as they also use the <a> tag. Instead of changing the href variable you use the name variable. For example:

<a name="top">The First Text In The Page</a>

Will create a bookmark called top in the text which the tag surrounds. An image can also be contained in this tag. You can then link to this using a standard hyperlink:

<a href="#top">Back To Top</a>

You can name bookmarks anything you like. Bookmarks are very useful on pages which are very long as they can be used to quickly go to another part of the page.

..................................................................................

Even ... <a name = "a1"> First chapter</a>
<a name = "a2"> 2nd chapter</a>...............EDIT: the name has to start with a letter

.. just in case I need it really. Thanks

Last edited:
So after reading your guide I went out of my way to marry a genius into my line. My son didn't inherit the genius trait but he has some amazing stats from tutoring. Unfortunately he got syphilis from some where (neither of his wives had it) and he married a genius for his first wife as well. His daughter also didn't get the genius trait and his son (by the second non genius wife) is slow. Things are apparently a lot more random then they seem ;/ Still even with syphilis he has 30 diplomacy.

What is the best way forward when you have built up your own holdings properly? That is, when you have castle villages in every castle, enough military buildings and a lot of cash at hand. To build up the economic buildings in your cities seems a good idea, but how much should you invest in the cities and how much will they build on their own? Is it better to found a new city quickly or is it better to first build up your existing citites?

What is the best way forward when you have built up your own holdings properly? That is, when you have castle villages in every castle, enough military buildings and a lot of cash at hand. To build up the economic buildings in your cities seems a good idea, but how much should you invest in the cities and how much will they build on their own? Is it better to found a new city quickly or is it better to first build up your existing citites?
If you're not at your normal demesne limit, build a barony or two.
If you are at your limit, it depends on if you want troops or money. If you want troops you should either upgrade temples in your own counties, or castles in other counties. If you want money you should upgrade cities in your own counties.
Constructing new vassal holdings seldom pays off.

If you're not at your normal demesne limit, build a barony or two.
If you are at your limit, it depends on if you want troops or money. If you want troops you should either upgrade temples in your own counties, or castles in other counties. If you want money you should upgrade cities in your own counties.
Constructing new vassal holdings seldom pays off.

Thanks for the sound advice! What about kickstarting your vassal cities and temples? Will an initial investment improve their economy and thus increase their development rate, or is it just wasting your money?

Thanks for the sound advice! What about kickstarting your vassal cities and temples? Will an initial investment improve their economy and thus increase their development rate, or is it just wasting your money?
It will, yes. I'd recommend using 'gifts' as your primary way of funding construction though, as then you get the added benefit of +20 relations. Don't give it to nobles though, as they're just as likely to use the money to assassinate someone.

Meneth if someone could help you do some number crunching, it might be good to create some tips on optimizing troop composition. I´m having a feeling that we still haven´t learned to use troop composition to its maximum effect.

For example, seeing troop stats, it´s obvious that the side that attacks usually has the advantage; archers and heavy infantry have a very decent advantage in attack, and since those are usually the most numerous troops, it´s begins to make sense that larger armies usually win, since players love to bait the AI into bad terrain. But even the terrain malus won´t offset the advantage those troop types have if the AI attacks. It´s specially a concern when the player usually is forced to defend, like in crusades where you invade and siege and can´t bait the AI.

So, probably if the player is going to agressively crusade, it´s better to focus a lot on pikemen buildings and mercenaries.

Meneth if someone could help you do some number crunching, it might be good to create some tips on optimizing troop composition. I´m having a feeling that we still haven´t learned to use troop composition to its maximum effect.

For example, seeing troop stats, it´s obvious that the side that attacks usually has the advantage; archers and heavy infantry have a very decent advantage in attack, and since those are usually the most numerous troops, it´s begins to make sense that larger armies usually win, since players love to bait the AI into bad terrain. But even the terrain malus won´t offset the advantage those troop types have if the AI attacks. It´s specially a concern when the player usually is forced to defend, like in crusades where you invade and siege and can´t bait the AI.

So, probably if the player is going to agressively crusade, it´s better to focus a lot on pikemen buildings and mercenaries.
If anyone volunteers to do that, I'd include it ;)

Someone should probably confirm this but Gregarious and Diligent supposedly increases the likelihood of your tutor culture flipping your child.
Yup, it does. Pretty sure I noted that in the installment on culture.

Hey Meneth: I think a really good mod for CK2 would be your Guide ... edited and trimmed down, put into bullet points, and PUT INTO the game in a new Help Section.

So, the player, when faced with a difficult decision, could open Help, and peruse your advice before making a decision.

I wonder if this could be done?

Hey Meneth: I think a really good mod for CK2 would be your Guide ... edited and trimmed down, put into bullet points, and PUT INTO the game in a new Help Section.

So, the player, when faced with a difficult decision, could open Help, and peruse your advice before making a decision.

I wonder if this could be done?
I don't know if that'd be possible. I suspect one would have to mod the UI, which is an area I've never attempted to mod.

If anyone volunteers to do that, I'd include it ;)

I have a spreadsheet set up to guide me in exactly that, I just don't have enough combat experience in game to really judge how well the spreadsheet model matches the combat model. I'll clean it up, send it to you, and open the assumptions and results up for discussion.

An excellent guide.

Regarding the suppress revolts mission: there is a significant benefit to that mission not mentioned in your guide. If a province is rebellious, the tax revenue of that province is significantly reduced, which can hurt quite a bit especially if the player is still small and the capital is the main source of income. Suppressing the revolt (using your Marshal) seems to remove the economic hit.

I have a spreadsheet set up to guide me in exactly that, I just don't have enough combat experience in game to really judge how well the spreadsheet model matches the combat model. I'll clean it up, send it to you, and open the assumptions and results up for discussion.
Thanks.

An excellent guide.

Regarding the suppress revolts mission: there is a significant benefit to that mission not mentioned in your guide. If a province is rebellious, the tax revenue of that province is significantly reduced, which can hurt quite a bit especially if the player is still small and the capital is the main source of income. Suppressing the revolt (using your Marshal) seems to remove the economic hit.
If you're having high revolt risk in your capital, you're probably doing something wrong (or you're extremely unlucky with heresies) :p
The tax penalty is equal to the revolt risk, so losing out on more than 10% of the tax income from a single province is rare. Probably generally not enough for it to be worth suppressing revolts.

I've asked elsewehre about Sow Dissent, and your formulation makes sense but is incomplete.

My suspicion is that it randomly affects one of those rulers in the province who are a vassal of someone and who have either a holding or vassal in the province (i.e., are not "visitors").

For example, a Mayor, Bishop, and independent Count are in a province, and one of them is guardian of a child Duke who is vassal to a King. There is also a Bishop Councilor on a mission, and another Baron who is besieging one of the holdings.

My guess:
Sow Dissent would affect either the Mayor or Bishop with a holding in the province.
The Count is not eligible since he is independent.
The Duke is not eligible for reduced relations with his liege since he has no holding or vassal in the province (visiting).[?]
The Councilor is not eligible for reduced relations with his liege since he has no holding or vassal in the province (visiting).
The besieging Baron is not eligible because he has no holding or vassal in the province (visiting)[?]

Something like that?

There is also a possible bug, see post 27 at http://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/showthread.php?587543-Sow-Dissent/page2.

Last edited: