• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Again, about the "most-bang-for-your-buck" theme.

Considering each upgrade to military buildings give pitiful extra troops (with few exceptions, like militia quartes > archery range), isn´t it worth to only build level 1 buildings and instead invest a lot on donjons, keeps etc? Specially because that will give you the largest amount of troops, and since more troops is great both for battles and sieges, I don´t see much reason to get large stables instead of small stables plus other 2 buildings. Sure, keeps take a lot of time to build but you can accelerate that a lot with the steward.
At a certain point a keep/wall will give you more per gold than a troop-building will, yes. I haven't bothered to actually calculate it, though :p

Originally Posted by Jaol

A few comments:
There is a major exception to the rule of wanting to own every county in a duchy--namely, when the duchy is uncreated. Then you can safely give some counties to vassals without their desiring the duchy title.

True that, but two fully held duchies will usually fill one's demesne limit anyway, so there's seldom much point to holding anything beyond that.

I'd like to follow up on this if I could. In my current game as William in England, there are many small uncreated duchies (Oxford, Kent, and ugh, the one containing Winchester) near Middlesex. So I can personally take on any number of counties without regard for the rep hit when the two duchy limit is exceeded. The question is the best use of demesne points comparing baronies and counties when the duchy limitation isn't an issue. Any thoughts are appreciated.

Posted an installment on councilors.

I'd like to follow up on this if I could. In my current game as William in England, there are many small uncreated duchies (Oxford, Kent, and ugh, the one containing Winchester) near Middlesex. So I can personally take on any number of counties without regard for the rep hit when the two duchy limit is exceeded. The question is the best use of demesne points comparing baronies and counties when the duchy limitation isn't an issue. Any thoughts are appreciated.
You'll probably benefit a bit more from holding those counties in that case, yes, due to to the vassals you'd have.

Heh, just betrothed my 4 year old king to his 16 year old... half grandmother as she had awesome stats and Quick generic trait. Planning to use her as the tutor for him too, I guess I'll find out just how realistically they keep track of this Inbred stuff.

I'm not even sure I'm describing her and his association in the family the right way. My 4 year old king was a great-grandson of my previous king, while she was the daughter of the previous king with a different wife.

Heh, just betrothed my 4 year old king to his 16 year old... half grandmother as she had awesome stats and Quick generic trait. Planning to use her as the tutor for him too, I guess I'll find out just how realistically they keep track of this Inbred stuff.

I'm not even sure I'm describing her and his association in the family the right way. My 4 year old king was a great-grandson of my previous king, while she was the daughter of the previous king with a different wife.
Half-cousin once removed is the most appropriate description I can think of. It conforms to the 4 degrees of separation rule (2 generations up, +1 due to different mother, 1 generation down), so you shouldn't get any problems unless you've done any further inbreeding.

Hmm this latest entry didn't seem to go into as exhaustive a detail as normal. I assume that's because the files are locked? You left out all the non congenital traits as well as what effect (if any) parents base stats have on child as well as what effects guardians have. I was looking forward to something like, "Have your child personally tutored for the majority then switch to a guardian at the end to pick up excellent traits like Grey Eminence". I'm not sure if that's even possible. Do they pick that trait up when they come of age or is it determined earlier?

Hmm this latest entry didn't seem to go into as exhaustive a detail as normal. I assume that's because the files are locked? You left out all the non congenital traits as well as what effect (if any) parents base stats have on child as well as what effects guardians have. I was looking forward to something like, "Have your child personally tutored for the majority then switch to a guardian at the end to pick up excellent traits like Grey Eminence". I'm not sure if that's even possible. Do they pick that trait up when they come of age or is it determined earlier?
My next installment will probably be on the topic of education.
I was going to both in a single installment at first, but decided instead to go into somewhat higher detail for breeding and do education later.

Just a general idea: do you think you could add screenshots to your guide? Some of us (me!) are visual learners and while your guide looks in-depth it can be a little tedious without images to correspond with the ideas/suggestions.

Man! Just wanted to say thank you for your hard work! Your guide really is very helpful for a newbie like me (and to many advanced players I believe).

Keep up the good work! I might give you the County of Öland... :D

Assuming you are still interested in doing a print version, I need an Introduction please. Cheers

Not too big, maybe a third of A4, just something for me to play with tomorrow. Please post it here.

Assuming you are still interested in doing a print version, I need an Introduction please. Cheers

Not too big, maybe a third of A4, just something for me to play with tomorrow. Please post it here.
I don't have the time to do that right now, but I'll probably have time tomorrow.

Nitpicking, but traits like Fair or Ugly don't give bonuses/maluses to the "opposite sex" - they apply to anyone who would be attracted to your character's gender. So a Ugly male gets negative reactions from straight women and gay men.

Nitpicking, but traits like Fair or Ugly don't give bonuses/maluses to the "opposite sex" - they apply to anyone who would be attracted to your character's gender. So a Ugly male gets negative reactions from straight women and gay men.
True, but couldn't find a good way to word that.

Hi Meneth! I'm working on ways to update a printed file(?)(Java) automatically... so you can still update your forum page, yet the printed article will also update along with you... (??whether successful is yet to be found out...) But could you please add a BookMark to your separate Headings. Thanks.