• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Ah, thanks. I see it now. Hidden.

Of course...

So you have to log in to read the FAQs or Meneth's Guide?!

And someone thinks this is desirable?!!

Why on earth would you make people jump through extra hoops?

So, we now limit access to something called a FAQ: available only to those who actively post or those log in every time they visit the forum.

Again, who on earth thinks this is a good idea?

You are online to type that... just copy paste it into a word document, and BAM yours forever and ever

You are online to type that... just copy paste it into a word document, and BAM yours forever and ever
Yeah, but I'm not talking about me. I'm talking about the (vast majority of) people who don't have the time/inclination to hang around these forums and won't even think to look for hidden content. Even for me, I now have to log in to check whether Meneth added another valuable section?!

So, a generous, dedicated user takes it upon himself to make a fairly complex game more accessible to people. Read that "accessibility" as "more fun", more "buzz", more "sales"! Which, of course, means that we have to hide it.

To hide a section you call a FAQ is just so stunningly counter-intuitive, I'm floored.

If the concern is keeping it hidden from people with pirated copies of the game, what about having a sticky in the general forum with a link to the thread in the FAQ forum?

I agree with RobRoy3 that it's probably not a good idea to make it so nobody even knows it exists if they don't log in. Also, how many people really look at the sub-forums. I come here every day, and I couldn't tell you what half of them are off-hand.

This thread advertises it....

set your subscription of the guide to email you when he updates it?
I never got that to work for this forum :p
The real problem to me about it being in the FAQ section... is that I can't actually post there, so it is currently lagging an installment behind.
Of course, the lost exposure isn't exactly great either, but I'll leave that to Paradox and the forum mods to decide.

Helpful to note that some opinion effect modifiers are not multiplied, such as a gift that last for 5 years for the recipient and release of a prisonser that lasts half as long but affects all vassals (direct only?).

A few other items on warfare:

The unit levied from a holding is more appropriately referred to as a company, and the collection of companies together in a stack an army. The term "battle" or less confusingly "division" would apply to the center and each flank of an army.

Since the natural tendency is to hunt down enemy troops, probably best to emphasize that most warscore is from territory and the ideal is to avoid needless fighting and just take the territoty you need.

A recently captured holding has only a small garrison from the capturing army, which only slowly rebuilds strength. These skeleton garrisons leave holdings vulnerable to quick counterattack and recapture by assault if undefended by an army.

I never got that to work for this forum :p
The real problem to me about it being in the FAQ section... is that I can't actually post there, so it is currently lagging an installment behind.
Of course, the lost exposure isn't exactly great either, but I'll leave that to Paradox and the forum mods to decide.

IIRC only mods can post there... short sighted lol

Great guide. It's really nice to have something to point newbie friends to when they start freaking out about the complexity :)

One nitpick, you're wrong about cultural spread to islands, it can happen. In my first game I conquered muslim Sicily as Hungary and got an event to send settler over which made 1 prov Hungarian, then normal spread resumed. Check the events\province_events.txt file, 2nd event; if I read it correctly the prov needs:
-wrong culture
-wrong relgiion group, i.e. unconverted muslim/pagan conquest
-no neighbouring prov has owner culture AND ruler with owner culture (i.e. normal spread is impossible)

Same MTTH and stewardship modifiers.

Great guide. It's really nice to have something to point newbie friends to when they start freaking out about the complexity :)

One nitpick, you're wrong about cultural spread to islands, it can happen. In my first game I conquered muslim Sicily as Hungary and got an event to send settler over which made 1 prov Hungarian, then normal spread resumed. Check the events\province_events.txt file, 2nd event; if I read it correctly the prov needs:
-wrong culture
-wrong relgiion group, i.e. unconverted muslim/pagan conquest
-no neighbouring prov has owner culture AND ruler with owner culture (i.e. normal spread is impossible)

Same MTTH and stewardship modifiers.
True, found that later on. I'll correct that.
However, due to its requirements that event will almost never ever fire, as the MTTH of culture changes is many many times higher than the MTTH of religion changes as long as moral authority is decent.

When you talk about the event firing are you referring to a special message that shows the culture flips earlier? Because when you invade England as William (Norman/Latin) all the culture starts changing as soon as you own the provinces. It's just an abysmally long time ;x In order to facilitate conquest like that is it better to have one ruler with a really high stewardship own as many provinces as possible or to appoint counts for each separate one even if their stewardship is worse (but their culture matches)

[Edit] I reread your guide and I think I answered my own question. The things I'm looking at are the penalties before I get Levees/Taxes etc without points chopped off for conquering and have nothing to do with changing cultures[/edit]

Last edited:
I just read it. I'm not sure I really agree with the city/bishop types being more likely to rebel. I generally find that to be the opposite. I don't believe they get the penalty for crown authority and they generally don't build up enough for a powerbase to be much of a threat.
If you have them as a count/duke they'll be getting -30 opinion with you, as compared to -20 from Medium Crown Authority. Counts/dukes do get higher revolt risks after that point, though, but I'm assuming that count/duke level burghers and bishops not getting the Crown Law penalties is not WAD.

The reason for this is the large penalty associated with owning a holding of the wrong type; you lose out on 75% of the income of the holding. This means that tax-wise it cannot pay off to hold a holding of the wrong type rather than one of the right type. In fact with the exception of baronies, giving the holding to a vassal instead will get you higher taxunless you've got high stewardship.
It's a bit more subtle than that : you get an additive -75% penalty. But if you have a steward with high stewardship working on tax collection (that this works only in one province, but it is an important exception when you play as a count), this penalty will just be washed away and you'll gain both more tax and also have the full number of troops. The real issue is not that you lose in terms of tax in this case (as you actually gain quite lot of tax), it's more an issue of long term development : you are more or less bound to lose some cash that will not be reinvested in the long term development of the holding.

So it's really a strategic choice of either:

- More cash and a lot more troops for that holding, but with the downside of a holding desmene slot taken.

VS

- Faster long term development of that holding, and no desmene slot taken, and a possible "better"/different use of your steward :) .

Great stuff. 2 things, and I might be wrong on them.

1. isn't there a limit on how quickly you can change CA? I seem to remember only being able to up it once or twice each reign.
2. I think you can up your CA high enough to set the succession laws to what you want, then lower them and still keep those laws. A good tip.
1. Yeah, once per reign. I'll mention that.
2. You can, I'll mention that.

Thank you for your feedback.