Thread: Length of turns

Crusader Kings IIEuropa Universalis: ChroniclesVictoria 2Victoria II: A House DividedVictoria II: Heart of Darkness
    Pride of NationsEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-order

Length of turns

I havent been on this game since way before christmas, and i downloaded the new patch and such only to see that the time it takes to build a mine is like 180 days now. this is more realistic but it takes ages for a turn to process, so why not just make turns longer, like a month, or two maybe, would be a lot more viable than the current two week turns. Would help keep players more interested rather than seeing no change for like 12 turns at least. just an idea, feel free to shoot me down.

Quote Originally Posted by glennbob View Post
    I havent been on this game since way before christmas, and i downloaded the new patch and such only to see that the time it takes to build a mine is like 180 days now. this is more realistic but it takes ages for a turn to process, so why not just make turns longer, like a month, or two maybe, would be a lot more viable than the current two week turns. Would help keep players more interested rather than seeing no change for like 12 turns at least. just an idea, feel free to shoot me down.
    There have been numerous threads on this:

http://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/...ength+of+turns

This one above seems most relevant, there are indeed many others.

I note this particular thread mentioned Matrix's War in the Pacific, which I have played. Trust me, the turn length in this game does not even compare. There are some tweaks you can make to the AI processing in the game options which 'may' speed up turn AI processing time. For myself, I really don't have an issue with the turn processing times, largely due to my experiences with War in the Pacific. (In WITP, I played with daily turn processing = 6 months for a full campaign, if not more). Admittedly, you could choose two-day and weekly turns (if memory serves), but at a cost of control of your units. I am more of a micro-manager, so anything but daily turns was just not in the cards for me

I believe that Pocus has already stated in one of the numerous threads on this issue that for them to speed up the turn processing at this point would require a major recoding of the AGE engine, which is above and beyond a simple 'patch.'

Crusader Kings IIEuropa Universalis: ChroniclesVictoria 2Victoria II: A House DividedVictoria II: Heart of Darkness

Ah well, just making my thoughts heard, no harm in that. So is there a way to change turn times from 2 weeks to 4 weeks/1 month?

Quote Originally Posted by glennbob View Post
    Ah well, just making my thoughts heard, no harm in that. So is there a way to change turn times from 2 weeks to 4 weeks/1 month?
    Unfortunately, no. I was referring to the options provided for in War in the Pacific. I am sorry for any confusion in this regard.

Crusader Kings IIEU3 CompleteFor The GloryHearts of Iron IIIHeir to the Throne
    March of the EaglesRome GoldSengokuPride of NationsEU3 Collectors Edition
    500k clubEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-order

Candew,

I agree completely with your comments. I also have played WiTP-AE. It took me just over 1 year to finish the game. It was amazing. Being, also a micro-manager, I used 1 day game turns.

The game turns in PoN are manageable after WiTP-AE.
    PoN Beta & Researcher
    The most significant event of the Twentieth Century will be the fact that the North Americans speak English.

Otto von Bismarck (1815-1898)

I can understand where the two of you are coming from having played such a micro-managed game beforehand, but for players such as myself who haven't had this previous experience it is like being hit by a tonne of bricks. I tried to go back on pride of nations again today and just couldn't motivate myself to play it as such a slow pace. In all honesty, if the total war series did a worldwide game, they should liaise with the paradox team, I think they could just create the most epic colonial war game of all time Hoping not to offend anyone who thinks otherwise :P

Second Lieutenant Chester Nimitz's Avatar
    Crusader Kings II

I have played WITP and WITP/AE too, and I haven't played PoN in a couple months, so take my comments with a grain of salt. I agree that there's less to worry about in any given PoN turn. But the processing of a turn in WITP bothers me much less. Yes, there's a wait while the WITP AI thinks about its moves, but it doesn't seem as long as in PoN. And once the WITP engine starts executing its moves, it's more interesting to watch than PoN: there's recon, then air battles, ship-to-ship, ground combat, etc. In PoN, the execution of a turn usually doesn't offer much to watch, unless a battle is going on, and even then still not much.

Quote Originally Posted by Chester Nimitz View Post
    I have played WITP and WITP/AE too...
    Never would have guessed from your forum name.

Sorry, couldn't stop myself from making this post.