Closed Thread
Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10 LastLast

Thread: Crusader Kings II - mac version beta.

Jeez guys, be patient. Run it on Boot Camp, if you can. Works perfectly fine (of course, since Boot Camp runs Windows natively). I dunno about older OS versions, but I do know that the latest update for OSX 10.7 sped up rebooting into Windows dramatically. I used to never bother rebooting with BC because the wait was so annoying. Now, I can reboot and have my game up and running in less than a minute.

And remember, if you buy the game via Steam for Windows, there is NO CHARGE for the Mac version when it comes out!

Crusader Kings IIEU3 CompleteDivine WindHeir to the Throne500k club
    Europa Universalis IV

Im pretty sure its the same with gg as well.

EDIT: Atleast it better be coz I just plonked down 40 bucks expecting to play it on OSX once the mac version is out...
    Last edited by Cakravarti; 12-05-2012 at 16:53.
    "As a boy growing up in Hungary, there was only one club for me - Arsenal"- The Legendary Ferenc Puskas on a youth spent looking up to the greatest football team of the era... Herbert Chapman's Arsenal Football Club

May 15 2004: P 38 W 26 L 0 Unbeaten. Invincible.

Crusader Kings IIDeus VultVictoria: RevolutionsEuropa Universalis: RomeRome: Vae Victis

Quote Originally Posted by VonSensburg View Post
    For me now it's working really as an native app! Only noticeable thing is that Mac is running really hot (and battery drains quickly)? Hope native version won't be so demanding?
    So You just need to start installing Steam in the PtT wrapper and then install CK through it. Then change paths in wineskin app and volila - You can play it quite comfortably on a mac!
    I just tried it, crashes during the loading of history files. Does it matter if I still have Mac OS X 10.5.8?
    "One man or a thousand foot, makes not difference to a knight"-French before Courtrai

Crusader Kings IIEuropa Universalis 3Victoria 2Victoria II: A House Divided500k club
    Europa Universalis IV

Quote Originally Posted by Cakravarti View Post
    Did you try bootcamping? I played EU 3 via bootcamp and it worked reasonably well...
    I'm new to this thread and am also interested in the Mac version. My question is will it be the same game, or a close but different game with some features not crossing over. Long time Mac users know what I'm talking about.

My particular need is to play on my laptop in my recliner (in the company of the Queen consort) whilst a chick movie is on in the background. I play the Windows version on my desktop, in my (home) office at a desk in a desk chair... much too isolated to keep the QC's opinion out of the danger zone, and not nearly as comfortable as me throne.

I can, and have at one time or another, used Bootcamp, VirtualPC, and a handful of other virtualizers to run Windows on my Mac. It really isn't a comfortable solution when playing games that have graphics, especially on a laptop. Yes, it can be done. I can also still use my Mac Plus, but I don't because it's just too slow for modernity. Of course, everything is relative, and even slow is better than not... sometimes.

I tried using Remote Desktop to play from the other room, but either Steam or CKII doesn't want to play that way.

I agree with the advice to be patient (says the guy able to play ). Much better to get a Mac caliber finished product that plays well, than one that is released the Microsoft way, with us end users finding the flaws through experience and use, which to us means a game that doesn't perform as expected, maybe crashing during your first Coronation, maybe not saving key pieces of data that ends up hosing your entire dynasty.

If you're not playing yet, it's an incredibly deep, complex game that is well worth the wait to get right.

Cities in Motion 2Crusader Kings IIDiplomacyEuropa Universalis: ChroniclesEU3 Complete
    Divine WindFor The GloryHeir to the ThroneEuropa Universalis III: In NomineMarch of the Eagles
    EU3 Napoleon's AmbitionRome GoldWarlock: Master of the ArcaneCK2: Holy KnightEU Rome Collectors Edition
    EU3 Collectors EditionKnights of Pen and Paper +1 Edition500k clubEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-orderWarlock 2: The Exiled

It will be the same exact game. Mac and Windows versions will be able to play MP together.
    Men fear thought as they fear nothing else on earth -- more than ruin -- more even than death .... Thought is subversive and revolutionary, destructive and terrible, thought is merciless to privilege, established institutions, and comfortable habit. Thought looks into the pit of hell and is not afraid. Thought is great and swift and free, the light of the world, and the chief glory of man. Bertrand Russell

Quote Originally Posted by Saber View Post
    I just tried it, crashes during the loading of history files. Does it matter if I still have Mac OS X 10.5.8?
    One thing I'm fairly certain of is there were major graphics drivers/OpenGL changes with 10.6. It's probably not very good to stay on an OS more than a generation old considering this.

Quote Originally Posted by Evil Sage View Post
    One thing I'm fairly certain of is there were major graphics drivers/OpenGL changes with 10.6. It's probably not very good to stay on an OS more than a generation old considering this.
    I'll second this, and add that Snow Leopard had a major rework of the core OS frameworks for graphics generally (i.e., not just OpenGL). While I'm not sure exactly how relevant these other core frameworks are to running CKII, I'd definitely recommend an upgrade to at least 10.6.8 (or whatever the last pre-Lion version was), if not Lion itself.

Crusader Kings IIEuropa Universalis 3Victoria 2Victoria II: A House Divided500k club
    Europa Universalis IV

Quote Originally Posted by AndrewT View Post
    It will be the same exact game. Mac and Windows versions will be able to play MP together.
    Excellent! Thanks for the reply.

I too now wait with bated breath....

2012-05-18: v1.05f (Mac version compatibility patch)

Can't be far away!

Crusader Kings IIDeus VultVictoria: RevolutionsEuropa Universalis: RomeRome: Vae Victis

Quote Originally Posted by Evil Sage View Post
    Thanks. I mean I would be i'm also a broke college kid who's not very keen on paying 40$ just for slightly changed OS.
    Going back to wine wrapper, my buddy told me the OS shouldn't matter when i'd try to be running the wine wrapper, anyone else experiencing the same problem?
    "One man or a thousand foot, makes not difference to a knight"-French before Courtrai

Can you please place this on Gamer's gate? I'd like to play on my mac!

So is there anyone playing Mac version?

I'm wondering the same thing. As far as I can see, it's still a Windows-only game on Steam atleast..

Well, I gather from the title of this thread that there are some beta testers playing the Mac version right now.

Quote Originally Posted by Dean View Post
    Well, I gather from the title of this thread that there are some beta testers playing the Mac version right now.
    Now I think You're right!

Cities in MotionCrusader Kings IICommander: Conquest of the AmericasDeus VultEU3 Complete
    Divine WindHearts of Iron IIIHeir to the ThroneMagickaSemper Fi
    Sword of the StarsVictoria 2Mount & Blade: WarbandCK2: Holy Knight500k club
    Europa Universalis IV: Pre-order

Has any of you been able to install it from steam?? Can't even find it on my list of games when I'm on OS X...

Quote Originally Posted by westerberg View Post
    Has any of you been able to install it from steam?? Can't even find it on my list of games when I'm on OS X...
    Same. It doesn't even show up under "All Games" for me. I put a support ticket in to Steam about it; if I find out anything, I'll come back with an update.

Second Lieutenant
    Cities in Motion 2Crusader Kings IIEuropa Universalis III: In NomineEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-order

I don't think it's actually out yet. I think it's more that they are in final stages of development.

most likely, yes. they don´t give us any real info here....

I am very disappointed by their behavior. In the months before the game was released they told us it was going to be avavailable also for the mac, then they told us it would have followed with a small delay. Then for months they refused to gave us the tiniest little piece of information. Maybe they will release it today or in a week or a month or whetever but for sure I do not think they acted correctly. I am very pissed off.

Closed Thread
Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10 LastLast