• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
I like the mongols how they are. If you look at their historical conquered land, it's really not a far stretch for them to make it to western Europe or even England. As others have pointed out, they tried to invade Japan, so if they make it to a European coast, then why not England? They conquered pretty much everything up to Europe, so it's not out of the question that they could have kept going if everything continued going well.

You are correct. The Japanese never struck a single blow or fired a single arrow, both invasions were thwarted by freak storms that sunk almost the entire fleet.

For those not familiar with the history, the above is sarcasm.

In both the small initial invasion and the much larger second attempt, bad weather suffered by an invasion fleet suited to calm seas caused severe damage. The Japanese being better preprared the second time as well as noteworthily stubborn, the landing forces were driven back to their ships and the badly battered Mongol fleet judiciously withdrew.

Also when Golden Horde captures the northern russian coastal provinces they will send ships all around europe to meet with their other ships in the black sea. I was quite surprised to see a Mongol navy outside Ireland:D
That is just so wrong.... :huh:

Has anyone had any luck firing the Mongol events by cheat? I'm bummed because I've played two games now where the Mongols just haven't shown up at all and when I use the event 60001/60002 cheats to try and trigger the invasions it just shows the pop-up; it doesn't fire any actual invasion.

My Kingdom of Georgia can levy 80,000 troops by 1216; I'm itching to put them to use.

In my Poland game GH conquered half of Rus and all of Hungary (leaving behind independent Moldau from some reason though), but then stopped being agressive whatsoever; they just dwell there and deal with occasional internal problems. Oh, and they got converted to orthodox, too...

Exactly the same with me, with an independent Moldau. They also stole Denmark but strangely left Novogrod alive, who own large patches in the GH and their traditional territory.

Anyway, with the Mongols I'd siggest letting them win some seiges so that their doom stack splits into 3/4, then you can tag team each one separately. Alternatively, marry the Byzantines who have ridiculous amounts of troops due to upgraded lands (as Byzantine Empire slaughtered Khanate and GH)

Has anyone had any luck firing the Mongol events by cheat? I'm bummed because I've played two games now where the Mongols just haven't shown up at all and when I use the event 60001/60002 cheats to try and trigger the invasions it just shows the pop-up; it doesn't fire any actual invasion.

My Kingdom of Georgia can levy 80,000 troops by 1216; I'm itching to put them to use.
You only have 80,000 troops and you want the Mongols to invade?

You only have 80,000 troops and you want the Mongols to invade?

They bring 100,000 don't they? Figured I might have a chance at them if they split their armies. 80,000 is more than the Byzantines can raise at this point; game's getting kind of slow now.

Actually, I was kind of hoping the Mongols would destroy my Kingdom anyways so I could work on building it back up from the ashes for an interesting late game.

Last edited:
They bring 100,000 don't they? Figured I might have a chance at them if they split their armies. 80,000 is more than the Byzantines can raise at this point; game's getting kind of slow now.

Actually, I was kind of hoping the Mongols would destroy my Kingdom anyways so I could work on building it back up from the ashes for an interesting late game.

Wait about fourty years and the Illkhanate/GH will appear.

About one third of those 100000 are horse archers that will butcher everything you throw at them. Even holy orders. I've found that there is a chance to resist them if you are able to assassinate the men that lead their armies.

You are correct. The Japanese never struck a single blow or fired a single arrow, both invasions were thwarted by freak storms that sunk almost the entire fleet.

This is not true. The Mongols landed in Kyushu and 2 other smaller islands and there were some fights between them and Samurais. But indeed bad weather and the lack of having stable ocean-going ships was the crux. It would have taken many years to get a real good fleet. But Kublai Khan wanted to be ready in about one year which is nothing in naval armament. Therefore, despite having a big fleet because of the recently conquered Song-Dynasty in South China and also Korea, most ships were nothing more then altered riverboats...

Anyway, in case of mongol naval invasions in europe: why not? If they control large parts of coastal areas within Europe for certain time, for example the Baltic Sea area where are not only lots of good seamen but also naval supplies nearby it is possible. But there should be some time delay or something.

Think after my Jalayirid EUIII campaign I will join you guys in the world of CK II. Wish I could play Mongols :happy:

All of your points are valid except this one.
To my understanding both failed invasions were flukes due to the weather.

Right. And this goes back to my point in regard to seamanship competence. Why exactly would you put all of your eggs into one basket and risk your entire war effort in one afternoon? The people planning these kinds of invasions obviously didn't think very hard about them.

No it isn't. They tried to invade Japan with a grand fleet, why wouldn't they invade England?

Did they invade Japan before, or after they took Korea?

If the answer is after, then it doesn't make much sense for hem to target Scotland (not England) before they own Norway. And that's precisely what they were doing.

Moreover even if you proclaim that obviously the only logical invasion target after Novgorod is Edinburgh, the simple fact is that if Scotland, with less then 100k troops, was about to be invaded by 100k attritionless impossible to defeat Mongols they'd try to stop the Mongol landing, which would take a naval battle.

And that strategy is impossible in CK2 because there's no naval combat.

Nick

Right. And this goes back to my point in regard to seamanship competence. Why exactly would you put all of your eggs into one basket and risk your entire war effort in one afternoon? The people planning these kinds of invasions obviously didn't think very hard about them.

Well it actually happened, so that should answer whether it should be possible in game with other targets. As for the planners not thinking about it, if you own the largest empire in the world why would you stop expanding just because your ancestors didn't have navies? Freak storms aren't exactly common (thus the freak) and theres always something you can't plan for.

Gotta figure the ships and sailors of the subjugated nations wouldn't just magically disappear either. Just hire/force them to transport a decent sized army... it's not like you'd require a metric ton of troops to conquer 13th century England.

As Hungary I was able to grab Galich from the GH while they were putting down a massive rebellion in Rus; all of this being after their initial invasions, with attrition-susceptible stacks. With the current mechanics, it's best not to completely destroy their armies; you'll see stacks of 3k out of 96 max running around, which is easier to manage... or at least less than impossible.