• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Stargate00001

Second Lieutenant
115 Badges
May 28, 2011
  • Victoria 2: Heart of Darkness
  • Europa Universalis IV: Res Publica
  • Victoria: Revolutions
  • Rome Gold
  • Semper Fi
  • Ship Simulator Extremes
  • Sword of the Stars
  • Sword of the Stars II
  • Supreme Ruler: Cold War
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mare Nostrum
  • The Showdown Effect
  • Victoria 2
  • Victoria 2: A House Divided
  • March of the Eagles
  • Rome: Vae Victis
  • Warlock: Master of the Arcane
  • Warlock 2: The Exiled
  • Cities: Skylines - Snowfall
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cossacks
  • Cities: Skylines - After Dark
  • Cities: Skylines Deluxe Edition
  • Crusader Kings II: Holy Knight (pre-order)
  • Europa Universalis IV: Pre-order
  • Stellaris: Galaxy Edition
  • Stellaris: Galaxy Edition
  • Darkest Hour
  • Arsenal of Democracy
  • Cities in Motion 2
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Crusader Kings II: Charlemagne
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Crusader Kings II: Rajas of India
  • Crusader Kings II: The Republic
  • Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
  • Crusader Kings II: Sunset Invasion
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
  • Ancient Space
  • Dungeonland
  • Europa Universalis III
  • Stellaris
  • Europa Universalis IV: Art of War
  • Europa Universalis IV: Conquest of Paradise
  • Europa Universalis IV: Wealth of Nations
  • Europa Universalis IV: Call to arms event
  • For the Motherland
  • Hearts of Iron III
  • Hearts of Iron III: Their Finest Hour
  • Leviathan: Warships
  • Magicka
So I am facing a rather large problem, nearly all of Europe is Cathar, I am Scotland and am the last bastion of catholicism, Scotland, Iceland, and The Poland-Hungary area. I am now starting to have to pick less better men in my court because the men that would be best for the position are Cathar or Fractelli (Fractelli less and less) England is almost completely Cathar and I face constant peasant revolts because I am of a different religion from them, I have tried to get my Court Chaplin to lead inquisitions but he can't react fast enough to the spread or he gets killed before he can purge them. Does anyone know a faster way to combat heresy? if not is there a more effective way to fight it on a large scale? thanks in advance.

I guess you can starting declaring holy war on just about anyone, then appoint Catholics to rule those lands. Over time, they should be able to convert their holdings to your religion, assuming that they don't convert themselves.

On a slightly related note, what happens if the Pope also becomes a Cathar?

I guess you can starting declaring holy war on just about anyone, then appoint Catholics to rule those lands. Over time, they should be able to convert their holdings to your religion, assuming that they don't convert themselves.

On a slightly related note, what happens if the Pope also becomes a Cathar?
That'd be like serving boiling water as a cold drink.

I ain't gonna lie, your game sounds awesome. The most I've ever seen from a heresy was Zikri covering most of the Seljuk Turks for a few decades, but once they got invaded it nearly vanished over night. I'd just be proud if I were you to have a game where Catholicism actually didn't dominate the world.

That, and you get the be the last bastion of hope for your religion, a feeling I know all too well playing as Norse in Sweden. For us, it's a constant battle against the Christians and it's a freaking blast trying to keep our way of life intact.

I find the Cathar tide hard to believe. Is it due to excessive anti-popery?

I'm actually worried this will occur in a MP CK2 game I'm currently a part of. Me and another player commissioned antipopes to see if there was really any tangible gain/loss for using them, and now I think I've found it: Heretics become much more common place, since an antipope lessens the moral authority by 20%. Of course, one can simply convert to wherever heresy is dominate, but that opens up the door to getting holy warred and that's no fun.

I'm actually worried this will occur in a MP CK2 game I'm currently a part of. Me and another player commissioned antipopes to see if there was really any tangible gain/loss for using them, and now I think I've found it: Heretics become much more common place, since an antipope lessens the moral authority by 20%. Of course, one can simply convert to wherever heresy is dominate, but that opens up the door to getting holy warred and that's no fun.

Or loads of fun. Anyone know any particular way to lower authority for orthodox?

ck2_1.jpg

I have the same problem, constantly putting down rebellions is driving me mad. There simply isn't any end. Almost every european province is heretic in mine too and it will make me consider not making an anti pope next time. I sortof like the function though it will really encourage crusades and as few antipopes as possible.

Edit: Added a screenshot.

Last edited:
That is so cool. For flavor purposes, I think I'm going to play a game where I load up a couple kings and kill the moral authority, just to have some fun.

Moral authority is the key here. Not only does the creation of an antipope lower it, the mere existence of one will over time lower it (all the way to zero if it is not stopped).

You can ask your vassals to become catholic again, but they may not stay that way forever, so you need to keep periodically checking them. In the end the only thing to increase stability in your realm is to convert to another religion.

If you turn into an heretic (which is very likely), you can declare a holy war on catholic rulers. All catholic rulers should be very weak from constant rebellions too. But the thing about heresies is that there are a lot of them and it is still a lot of work to convert everybody into the right kind of heresy.

Another choice could be orthodox but it is harder to arrange.

My current game is halfway to the map posted above. Catholicism is at 1.7% moral authority. My economy is a bit better now and position is militarily more secure, I want to be a good Catholic now is it possible to bring it back?

BTW in order to revert the process, as adviced in another thread, I did conquer the real Pope in Rome and he abdicated, so now my guy is 'the real Pope'. Following this abdication Moral Authority increased tiny bit but map spread of heresies continues. I wonder if it's too late to revert the process now? (process of weakening Pope, while getting rich was fun BTW)

Heresy is very rare in my games unfortunatly. I had a scottish king once, who followed Lollardy and one catharian french province...
So, it´s really fun to see your religion map and you shuld definitly convert :D

Use religion as it was used then: for power.

If half of Europe switched, or even just some of your most powerful allies and some who didn't are among the provinces you'd like to grab, follow suit and forge some alliance with them, then provoke a religion war. Everyone will be so busy that you'll be able to grab a couple of things in total legitimacy without anyone noticing.
Once you have what you need, try to calm things down a bit, see how the dust settle, and then switch back to the most secure position again.