• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Status
Not open for further replies.
on a side note, my perfect imagining today of rome 2 would be some what like romance of the three kingdoms X, where you play as a character within a state, doing ur buisness making sure walls enforced etc...oh fuck some guy robbing a chick what will u do? oh shit summon from senate gotta travel to rome in like 20 days wtf i do, then when you die u play as your kid, you can even be not part of a state, now that'd be awsome, just being a bandit robbing people wtih some galatian mercenary or something ,what you guys think? anything you can do to refine this idea? my english aint the best.
MndB rome?

MndB rome?

:)

Personally, I'd just like more serious games set in Ancient Rome. Something more engaging then all those city builders. And maybe something that ran better than Alea Jacta Est, cuz I swear last time I tried that a turn took literally 10 minutes, but that might just be me.

And there's total war, I guess, but all the reviews of Rome II has put me off that.

I'm only interested if the timeframe is expanded significantly and a lot more factions are added to the map. The problem with the original was that there were really only four major powers with a handful of middleweights and once those early conflicts were resolved it become a steamroll.

Currently Paradox is developing migration mechanics to Native Americans in EUIV, similar mechanics could work with some of the ancient nations, like with Scythians.

Hmm. I feel that Rome has more character micromanagement with less depth than CKII. At least I found myself running around trying to please everybody, rather than focusing on just a few characters. That being said, I hope they do EU: Rome II, and I agree I'd like it more CKII based I think.

Call me vain but I have only been able to get into Paradox games since the new engine (CK2 and EU4).. I don't know why.. But if they remake Rome in this engine I would be all over it. Especially if they had the play dates from BC to the start of CK2:TOG and had a converter! wow would that be sweet!

I was watching yesterday some let's play videos about The Guild2. It made me think that some mechanics could be very usable for a Rome2 game. The game should obviously be completelydifferent, map-based et all, but still the concept of rising a family, creating an economic base, placing your minions in political positions to decide what the country is going to do or to screw political rivals. In small countries you might find yourself ruling the country easier than in big ones but that could be a way of avoiding the biggest problem of games in this time period, players may be placed in a position where the only goal of the game is to make bigger armies and paint the map in your colour. If when playing Rome the only challenge is to beat Carthage half-way before the end date that game would be a failure in my opinion.

I was watching yesterday some let's play videos about The Guild2. It made me think that some mechanics could be very usable for a Rome2 game. The game should obviously be completelydifferent, map-based et all, but still the concept of rising a family, creating an economic base, placing your minions in political positions to decide what the country is going to do or to screw political rivals. In small countries you might find yourself ruling the country easier than in big ones but that could be a way of avoiding the biggest problem of games in this time period, players may be placed in a position where the only goal of the game is to make bigger armies and paint the map in your colour. If when playing Rome the only challenge is to beat Carthage half-way before the end date that game would be a failure in my opinion.
Pick up a friggin history book :p
Srsly, I'm bored of those people claiming a character-based game. Do you honestly think anyone cared about his family? Not even in Rome, let alone any other single tribe/kingdom during that era.
Quit on this, I could udnerstand some character thingies in democracies, but in the Seleucid kingdom? Wat? If you were a general, you couldn't just write something and say "Hi Antiochus, I feel like overthrowing you today and putting myself as a king,. Best regards, Ephialtes"
Your satrapy shouln't be inheritable and the king could just send you to prision if he felt like it. He was a god, you know?

Pick up a friggin history book :p
Srsly, I'm bored of those people claiming a character-based game. Do you honestly think anyone cared about his family? Not even in Rome, let alone any other single tribe/kingdom during that era.
Quit on this, I could udnerstand some character thingies in democracies, but in the Seleucid kingdom? Wat? If you were a general, you couldn't just write something and say "Hi Antiochus, I feel like overthrowing you today and putting myself as a king,. Best regards, Ephialtes"
Your satrapy shouln't be inheritable and the king could just send you to prision if he felt like it. He was a god, you know?

I don't mean making a republic for every nation but a system must be in place in order to avoid a boring game as any power that basically, if realistically made, you would conquer empires by wining 2 or 3 battles. In EU games it's easy due to the atomization of the continent but in ancient world it would make the game extremely uninteresting. Something should be done to deal with Roman power because beating Carthage and take the east one by one it would make the most tedious game ever. If you don't like it family based then think of it as faction based but the player must have fun or the game dies.

Status
Not open for further replies.