• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Status
Not open for further replies.
No time for Rome (patches or a new game) , when they have teleglitch 80's throwback to release. What the heck, why don't I just pull my first generation gameboy out and play...:blink:

Pour le troisième épisode, il devrait "imiter" les excellents jeux que sont "Pax Romana" et "Alea Jacta Est". :rolleyes:

Rome is the only classical Paradoxian game i have never been able to enjoy, despite a great interest for the period. I found it messy, unclear, unlogical, unbalanced, even with Vae Victis. It's the only time i felt i have wrongly spent my money.
So if Rome II is like the I with more 3D gadgets, then NO, i don't want it.
Now if they learn their lesson and propose a truely fun, logical, balanced and clear game, then YES, i will be buying it (one year after the release, of course, just as every other Paradoxian games).

The amount of games centred on the Victorian period versus the amount of games centred on Rome would seem to suggest otherwise, however.

But for Paradox games, this one, for whatever reason, didn't quite take off in terms of popularity. Maybe they think that their specific fan base prefers other time periods.

Is this a kickstarting challenge?

It's a well-intentioned idea ("pre-order and we promise to make it") but it is also a little unfair to have people pre-order a game about which we don't know much or anything at all. I'd pre-order a game that I thought looked good, but not pre-order an invisible game just to show my moral support. It seems reasonable to at least see what it looks like first.

It's a well-intentioned idea ("pre-order and we promise to make it") but it is also a little unfair to have people pre-order a game about which we don't know much or anything at all. I'd pre-order a game that I thought looked good, but not pre-order an invisible game just to show my moral support. It seems reasonable to at least see what it looks like first.

me thoughts exact. Develop the idea then we'll see. being plainly honest, at this time I am NOT going to preorder if a nice design is well presented but in different personal circumstances I would. But Paradox should at least show what game they have in mind.

me thoughts exact. Develop the idea then we'll see. being plainly honest, at this time I am NOT going to preorder if a nice design is well presented but in different personal circumstances I would. But Paradox should at least show what game they have in mind.

I'm currently considering about pre-ordering EUIV, because it's relatively finished idea. But I have to check out what pre-order goodies they are offering, before I make that decision. With EU: Rome I made my buying decision when I heard that there was a Caesar bust which came with the CE. So, if they want to sell me Rome II, they better show me developer diaries and gameplay videos. I'm not rich enough to throw my cash all around, before hearing exactly what I'm going to get, when I'm going to get it and how much it costs*.

*Even if someone could actually convince me to invest into one of those fundraisers, I would only invest enough to get the game. I wouldn't give more, because that money wouldn't bring me any profit even if the game is success. For bigger investment there has to be possibility to make profit.

Last edited:
I would totally invest in a crowdsourced Rome II. I honestly don't care what it will be like; I have faith they will make it reasonably good no matter what.

Reasonably good, perhaps, but worth paying the price of a new game for it is harder to tell. I waited years to buy EU III because I saw what it was like, and was able to tell what level of appeal it would have for me (considerably less than its predecessors). In fact, I still prefer EU II/FtG. I even like Rome better than EU III.

I`d invest in it, as long as they ask for a reasonable sum and not ten thousand bucks per person.

To all you people saying, "I won't invest until I see some material" are completely missing the point and because of your skepticism we might not see the game made.

If Paradox had offered the same deal back when VV was released, it would have been quite laughable.

However, since then they have matured as a developer and seem to take polish, quality and accessibility more seriously.

They want you to pledge based on their recent reputation and based on how you rate their performance on recent games.

Since they don't know if there is a market for Rome 2, they want to "test the water" with a Kickstarter, fair enough. I personally think that there is such a bad stink around Rome 1 that they fear it will compromise the success of a sequel.

As such, they want to see if their recent successes on their other projects will sell the concept of Rome 2, rather than the clearly failed actuality of Rome 1. They don't know which way the scales will turn so, as mentioned, the Kickstarter.

As such, if you don't pledge because of the bad taste in your mouth left by Rome 1, you are missing the point.

If you liked CKII and VICII you should pledge, since you are putting faith in their "new" capability as a company.

So, the only thing left is for the Kickstarter to actually happen. Why wait?

To all you people saying, "I won't invest until I see some material" are completely missing the point and because of your skepticism we might not see the game made.

If Paradox had offered the same deal back when VV was released, it would have been quite laughable.

However, since then they have matured as a developer and seem to take polish, quality and accessibility more seriously.

They want you to pledge based on their recent reputation and based on how you rate their performance on recent games.

Since they don't know if there is a market for Rome 2, they want to "test the water" with a Kickstarter, fair enough. I personally think that there is such a bad stink around Rome 1 that they fear it will compromise the success of a sequel.

As such, they want to see if their recent successes on their other projects will sell the concept of Rome 2, rather than the clearly failed actuality of Rome 1. They don't know which way the scales will turn so, as mentioned, the Kickstarter.

As such, if you don't pledge because of the bad taste in your mouth left by Rome 1, you are missing the point.

If you liked CKII and VICII you should pledge, since you are putting faith in their "new" capability as a company.

So, the only thing left is for the Kickstarter to actually happen. Why wait?

We haven't even seen VV patch finished yet and Paradox is expecting me to invest to new Rome stuff? What guarantees that I ever get the finished product? Like I said earlier I'm not rich enough to give away my money, before I actually know that the project will happen and I'm not investing to vaporware. I also have legal concerns, because legislator in my jurisdiction considers crowd funding illegal.

Last edited:
We haven't even seen VV patch finished yet and Paradox is expecting me to invest to new Rome stuff? What guarantees that I ever get the finished product? Like I said earlier I'm not rich enough to give away my money, before I actually know that the project will happen and I'm not investing to vaporware. I also have legal concerns, because legislator in my jurisdiction considers crowd funding illegal.

come on, mate, dont over-react :p you mean to say "if you dont make the game I dream of I´ll sue you, Paradox" :D

I think there no need to go with such a hard lines. if paradox claim us to put our money where our mouth is, they should provide a good concept at least. true that the new engine is a wonder and looking at CK2 and the soon to come EU4 we could expect a quality product but a game concept is much more than the engine. Paradox, give us something! a nice logo, some cool ideas, or even a weird musical! :D

Firstly, I am a poor student, so it's not like I have money to throw about.

I was left really unimpressed by the DD's for EUIV. It seemed to me like an endless listing of NI's, which I thought were a bad idea to begin with and not much to make it stand out as a new, really ambitious sequel.

However, I still pre-ordered it because of my great experiences with other recent PI games. After all, "what do I know?", and it could be the fault of the information failing to "sell" me rather than a fault of the game. I'm prepared to put faith into EUIV being good despite my doubts thanks to Paradox's recent proven quality.

This is how I think the peoples' relation to Rome 2 should be as well.

That's not true at all! It's never been incumbent on a customer base of any product to pre-order a product they haven't seen. In fact, it's somewhat insulting of you to say so.

No, I buy a company's products because I think I will like them, not to lend them moral support or to gamble that I might hope to enjoy something of which they haven't even given the vaguest idea about what their idea for it is.

Yes, they make games I like, but it's ridiculous to condemn anyone who wants to at least see what it looks like in, let's say, an alpha stage.

No, they should put out a game and see if it sells. It's unfair and a way to disclaim responsibility to say a game left unmade is the fault of people who refused to buy it without knowing anything about it but the title. It's like me saying to a company, "give the fans a game for free, and we promise to pay for it at some point in the future. If you do so, it is a way for you to demonstrate your faith in us as good and reliable customers". :rolleyes: That would simply be the reverse of this kickstarter idea.

Status
Not open for further replies.