• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm also thinking of getting it. The only problem is there is no grand campaign of like 200 years just scenarios but that is ok for me, especially considering each turn takes about 15 minutes of my time just thinking and planning the next move. Also some campaigns are super long such as the Caesar vs Pompey campaign.

edit: there are also some great tutorial videos on youtube.

And James Allen from Out of Eight (playing as Vitellius against Otho and Vespasian in the Year of the Four Emperors)
[video=youtube;G-0UeXpiunI]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G-0UeXpiunI[/video]

and covering the Marius vs Sulla campaign:

[video=youtube;M2nH0eNVdaU]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M2nH0eNVdaU[/video]

Last edited:
never played the original EU: Rome, but i would buy a Rome 2 at the drop of a hat

At the price it's currently at, you really don't have much to lose. If you like historical games/EU series at all, it is at least worth a try. I got the complete version with expansion on a Steam sale for something like $5 US, and at the current price probably isn't much higher.

Actually, I think that the next Rome game would do better to have less CKII in it. Don't get me wrong, I love me some mad CKII, but in Rome, stuff like marriage was uninteresting. Rome should be more about statesmanship. Yes, there should be individual characters, to reflect politics and rebellions and succession. But delving too deeply into these characters' lives would be a mistake.

would love to see a rome 2

would it be called Rome 2? because the actual name is Europa Universalis: Rome. Personally I don't see what this game has to do with EU. If they just focused on making a new and unique franchise I would be happy.

I want smart AI marriages, and being able to control your sons' and daughters' marriages.
I don't want a Roman Senator marrying a non-Italian woman.
I don't want a proud, typically "aristocratic", snobby patrician Senator marrying his daughter off to a New Man.
I don't want a person's faction to be determined from birth; I want events, influence of parents, relatives, friends, and enemies to all change it throughout adolescence and young adulthood.
I don't want only one person capable of being Tribune of the Soldiers. Ideally you should be able to appoint up to 10 men between 18 and 30, and allow them command of up to 5? 10 maybe? army units.
Yeah.

Factions centered on actual characters would be more realistic than dividing the senate into the military, civic, religious factions etc. That is not historical and just silly. Factions formed around powerful influential senators who had varying agendas and different sized client pool.

Actually, I think that the next Rome game would do better to have less CKII in it. Don't get me wrong, I love me some mad CKII, but in Rome, stuff like marriage was uninteresting. Rome should be more about statesmanship. Yes, there should be individual characters, to reflect politics and rebellions and succession. But delving too deeply into these characters' lives would be a mistake.

I agree. I feel that a lot of the more recent games borrow too many elements from each other, with EU III having the papal controller mechanic and advisers inspired by the CK I, and that sort of thing.

Factions centered on actual characters would be more realistic than dividing the senate into the military, civic, religious factions etc. That is not historical and just silly. Factions formed around powerful influential senators who had varying agendas and different sized client pool.

Hmmm...you're right to a degree, but often there was a central idea to one man's faction, and there's got to be a way to represent that.
For example, Hortensius, Catulus, and Vatia were are influential members of the arch-conservative "faction" in late Republican Rome, but they had no clear, strong leader after Sulla's death until Cato came along.
Maybe there can be personality traits indicating some kind of likely political "allegiance" or "lean", and other factors (relations with/similarities to faction leaders, ambitions, etc.) along with these traits affect which faction a character is in. Once a gifted man becomes strong enough, he'll want his own faction. This will simulate the split between Caesar and Pompey; the traits and relations and ambitions would, for example, lead to something like Cicero moving to the arch-conservatives under Cato after Pompey's death.
Just some suggestions. It might be more complicated than it should, but there it is.

I was thinking of a great power system only for characters. so the top 6 most influential senators must compete for supporters/clients through bribery, threats or persuasion. factors such as age (old is best), number of clients (such as freeman or plebs), personal wealth and prestige should all be used to decide who those top 6 are, so technically it is possible for a character to drop out o the top 6. also while i'm on this subject lets just make it a character based game where only rome is playable, you pick a family and play as the pater familias through the generations. I think if the focus is on playing as the spirit of the country then it will not be a good game to play, but if the focus is on trying build up your family fortunes and rise through the cursus honorum with each successive head of the family then that would be truely awesome and unique. Apart from Pax Romana there aren't any games I can think of that actually offer this play experience. the game can also be expanded with DLCs to unlock playable carthaginian families after release similar to CK2 and "Sword of Islam/Legacy of Rome/The Old Gods" etc

thoughts? I know it is rather controversial but Paradox must be brave if they want to keep us interested and are serious about rebooting the Rome series. especially since Rome2 Total War is coming out this year and AGEOD's Alea Jacta Est and Birth of Rome games are proving quite popular.

this AAR I found is also rather cool and gets us in the mood for next installment of Rome 2 by paradox. year of the four emperors: http://www.rpgcodex.net/forums/index.php?threads/lets-usurp-an-empire-in-alea-jacta-est.76374/

Last edited:
also while i'm on this subject lets just make it a character based game where only rome is playable, you pick a family and play as the pater familias through the generations. I think if the focus is on playing as the spirit of the country then it will not be a good game to play, but if the focus is on trying build up your family fortunes and rise through the cursus honorum with each successive head of the family then that would be truely awesome and unique. Apart from Pax Romana there aren't any games I can think of that actually offer this play experience. the game can also be expanded with DLCs to unlock playable carthaginian families after release similar to CK2 and "Sword of Islam/Legacy of Rome/The Old Gods" etc

Unlikely to happen. When Paradox was making CKII they thought of making Byzantium and other Orthodox countries unplayable at first, but eventually they decided against it because those were playable in CKI and they anticipated that making them unplayable would create very angry reaction among the Crusader Kings fans. If they want to revive EU: Rome franchise it wouldn't be a wise move to make half of the existing fans angry, by making their favourite factions, like Sparta, Diadochi states and Gallic tribes, unplayable. In fact, based on what I have seen on Rome forum, I believe that most people want more playable factions not less. It's rather common complain that there are too few countries and provinces in EU: Rome.

Don't forget AGEOD's Alea Jacta Est and Birth of Rome games.

Check out the portrait they used for Spartacus and tell me this game is not awesome:

AJE5.jpg

Can more of you fellas upvote this game on Steam Greenlight please? I like the looks of it and want to try it out.

Status
Not open for further replies.