• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Rather than Rome 2, when are they going to finish the patch? Personally, I think they should take the time to tweak the current game like they have with EU3, Rome only has one expansion, and seems to be still dealing with issues. I think they could do quite a bit with the current game to make it more playable and more visually appealing (mainly the portraits in my opinion) I would love an expansion, maybe that expands the game a bit more into the empire era which had a LOT of intrigue. maybe even into the eras near the fall of rome.

Well, the patch is on the top of my wishlist too. There are some bugs in beta which are rather annoying and I wish that we don't have to wait as long as we have been waiting with Deus Vult patch (last beta was in October 2008 and we are still waiting for official patch).

because more countries to play is more fun? After the conquer of the mediterranean basin, which is the inevitable outcome of every rome game, the next step would be to rival/trade with the big empires of Persia, India and China, and to face off the nomad invasions such as White Huns and eruopean barbarians. The Eurasian empires had all a very similar political structure so it would be easy to model (heck, even the current Rome models well India and China, see Magna terra).

The game of course would become an ancient EU rather than a game only focused on Rome, and this would benefit replay-ability and fun factor.

I would rather have more provinces in the are already on the map and earlier start date so there would be factions like Athens, Etruscans, Umbri etc. I think that kind of factions would make game much more interesting than ones the Romans never had any real contacts. I would love to see all those small Greek and Italian factions in the game, because that would be true empire building. Only real concern in start date like that would be the risk that Achaemenid Empire could seriously blob before player gets his act together.

I'd love to see an expansion into the Empire era where you would be playing factions trying to hold the barbarians off while fighting internal factions (various sects of Christians killing each other off as well as sacking and burning the pagan sites). The development of the Eastern and Western empire, the 4 tetrarchs, waves of the plague, fighting pirates and always concerned that you're going to be poisoned or overthrown - and then trying to recover power after the eventual fall or securing a stronghold your family can survive the storm.

EU: Rome is Paradox's best game because the period is so fascinating and the game mechanics are basically sound. But it is time to introduce more character depth (something like CK2), and more variety in military units and tactics (semble CK2 again). There is no need to extend the world beyond the Mediterranean and the Middle East, but a beautification of the map (CK2 once more) would be nice.

Also I would love the game to start at 1 AVC and conclude at 410 AD (1163 AVC) at the time Rome was sacked by Alaric's Visigoths.

Last edited:
Also I would love the game to start at 1 AVC and conclude at 410 AD (1163 AVC) at the time Rome was sacked by Alaric's Visigoths.

Problem is, at the start of campaign you'd basically have a giant Roman blob which wouldn't make for very interesting games. On the other hand, 410 would be a great start date for a early middle ages themed game.

Now, if they included a Eurasian map for Rome 2? Different matter: that would be a great work-around.

Last edited:
Signed :)

The problem of Rome is the blobs, which are historical. Rome needs a very interesting internal affairs system, and having Eurasia would be amazing, not only because it's cool just because, but also because the others blobs in this period (Maurya, Qin, Han) would also benefit from the internal politics.

I nominated 1 AUC as the start date because it would give the player the chance to take Rome from an encampment on the Tiber to empire. However, upon reflection, there is no need to start so early. Rome became a Republic in 508 BC or 509 BC (about 250 AUC) while still a city-state, and so that would probably be a better time to start. I'd really like to simulate Rome's conquest of Italy against the Samnites, Etruscans, etc.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.