• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Status
Not open for further replies.
This would be good. The original has so much potential but it needs updating :/

I wasn't sure before about merging the dynastic stuff of CK2 with Rome. But with the new republic DLC out soon for CK2 I think playing as one family of many in the Roman republic could work.

I can't help but wonder if this new Republic DLC might even be a testing ground for new EUR ideas, things they thought about for Rome but figured would be more worthwhile to add to a more popular game. If things go well and the concept ends up working, I could see it becoming a central feature for a Rome-based game in the future.

If not, then at least we could use CK2 as a basis for a good Rome total conversion :p

I can't help but wonder if this new Republic DLC might even be a testing ground for new EUR ideas, things they thought about for Rome but figured would be more worthwhile to add to a more popular game. If things go well and the concept ends up working, I could see it becoming a central feature for a Rome-based game in the future.

If not, then at least we could use CK2 as a basis for a good Rome total conversion :p
True. But total conversion mods are very difficult and time consuming. I'd rather just pay for a quality Paradox Rome 2. You hear that, Paradox? I am begging you to take my money! :)

The Republic's rekindled my idling interest in Rome, a game that I thought had a lot of good ideas but never managed to implement them well (largely because the world was so empty and the main powers so, well, powerful). They deserve another chance.

We really need a new game set in ancient times. I'm so sick of medieval Europe!

I think once Paradox sees how well Rome Total War 2 does they might change their minds.

We really need a new game set in ancient times. I'm so sick of medieval Europe!

I think once Paradox sees how well Rome Total War 2 does they might change their minds.

Instead, let's play in Early Modern Europe, Industrial Europe, War-Zone Europe, or Mediterranean Europe! ;)

I don't think they'll base their next project on TW's success.

Instead, let's play in Early Modern Europe, Industrial Europe, War-Zone Europe, or Mediterranean Europe! ;)

I don't think they'll base their next project on TW's success.

The problem I think is that Paradox honestly believes that there isn't a market for a game based on the Roman Republic based on the underwhelming success of their original game. I agree with what another said in this thread, imagine if Paradox would have continued releasing updates and expansion for this game. But for some reason, probably based on sales, they chose to move on and really leave the game half finished.

The reason why I said that TW might change their minds is because I think it will prove that people are interested in a strategy game based on the Roman Republic.

I wasn't sure before about merging the dynastic stuff of CK2 with Rome. But with the new republic DLC out soon for CK2 I think playing as one family of many in the Roman republic could work.

Have you every checked out the buggy Pax Romana, that Phillipe Thibault of AGEOD fame was involved in? The features looked really fun, however I could never really play. :(

The reason why I said that TW might change their minds is because I think it will prove that people are interested in a strategy game based on the Roman Republic.
Or it could go Sengoku way: EU:Rome 2 (EuroMe2?) turning up as a quick cash-in designed to ride on the setting's temporary popularity, loaded with a few features to beta-test before they get used in the next big release, poorly balanced and quickly abandoned with no hope of further patches or expansions.

The problem I think is that Paradox honestly believes that there isn't a market for a game based on the Roman Republic based on the underwhelming success of their original game. I agree with what another said in this thread, imagine if Paradox would have continued releasing updates and expansion for this game. But for some reason, probably based on sales, they chose to move on and really leave the game half finished.

I'm pretty sure that they know that there is a very large number of people who would buy the next Total War game, regardless of its setting. It really is a huge franchise, and from what I could tell, none of their games were unsuccessful as far as sales are concerned.

Honestly I thinkk Rome is my favorite paradox game, although I´ve played more EUIII and CK than Rome....simply because it has been the least updated and seemed rather ¨incomplete.¨ However if a Rome II was developed and recieves as much attention as say CK2 or EUIII it´d be absolutely amazing. At the very least they should realease the new patch....

EDIT:

I'm pretty sure that they know that there is a very large number of people who would buy the next Total War game, regardless of its setting. It really is a huge franchise, and from what I could tell, none of their games were unsuccessful as far as sales are concerned.

Yes there are, but at the same time there are a large number of people who would much prefer the Roman era than others. I enjoy most periods of history equally, and have been playing TW games since the ol´ days of Shogun, however Rome was the game that really took the game into the public spotlight so to say. Obviously beacuse of their move to 3D, but I also believe because of the epicness of the timeframe etc...

Last edited:
Rome was a flawed gem that simply needed a bit more polishing to truly shine. Do hope Paradox will someday make a Rome 2 and that they keep the many AI characters with their ambitions and skullduggery intact.

And Rome sold badly for a simple reason. On release it was buggy, unintuitive and not really that fleshed out. Which reflected in the reviews and gaming forums. A bit more time in the oven and it could have been a contender.

And yeah, while I dig the CK, HoI and EU games it is Rome which stole my heart. The timeframe, the many characters going about their lives, untrustworthy generals and governors really come together into something I love.

Last edited:
CursusHonorum1.jpg

Attachments

• CursusHonorum1.jpg
    CursusHonorum1.jpg
    82,3 KB · Views: 22
Rome 2 could be a great game assuming it gets enough attention. The orginal was a little bland (not enough stuff to do), but in its defence so was eu3 when it first came out.

Status
Not open for further replies.