• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm definitely for Rome II. Not that I won't enjoy EUIV a ton, its precedence over a sequel to Rome was a let-down. When I first glanced at the announcement for the new CKII expansion with the headline mentioning Rome, I got really excited and thought it was alluding to an early dark age scenario where one could try and save a crumbling Rome or take up the mantel of barbarian kings in transition to more feudal-like states.

Regardless, once republics are added into CK, which I surely thought was coming before this Byzantine-centered expansion, it won't be tooooo big a leap for Paradox or modders to create a roman bookmark. Perhaps that's just wishful thinking, as tribal mechanics would need to be considered as well, though I have full confidence in this community's creativeness and the mod-ability of Paradox games to include that - but I would gladly pay full game price for it.
edit: grammar

Signed

I'd also like a something based around Ancient Greece and Alexander the Great; either as DLC or a seperate game. There is a wealth of opportunities that paradox could explore in the ancient world.

Well, hopefully we'll get a Rome 2 based on the revamped EU:IV engine!

I could go for a Rome 2.

Interesting game for the betrayed Roman fans (while waiting for TW:R2 and, hopefully, EU:R2):

I've seen this game on the AGEOD site and I'm not sure what to make of it. Is it similar to EU:Rome in terms of characters or anything?

I've seen this game on the AGEOD site and I'm not sure what to make of it. Is it similar to EU:Rome in terms of characters or anything?

It's a company set by Philippe Thibaut and now - as I understand - it's under Paradox wings. I played in their "Revolution under siege" (about Russian civil war 1918-1921) and it's a fantastic game. But it's definitely much more military-oriented, basicaly a very detailed and complicated war strategy with elements of economy, diplomacy. Once you master it (and it takes a while) it's a great experience.

It's a company set by Philippe Thibaut and now - as I understand - it's under Paradox wings. I played in their "Revolution under siege" (about Russian civil war 1918-1921) and it's a fantastic game. But it's definitely much more military-oriented, basicaly a very detailed and complicated war strategy with elements of economy, diplomacy. Once you master it (and it takes a while) it's a great experience.

Yes, their games seem to be military simulations. I got free copy of Birth of America II: Wars in America from Paradox. It's a war strategy and it's scenarios are French and Indian War and American Revolutionary War. AFAIK they have made similar games also about American Civil War, Napoleonic Wars and about several other conflicts. I haven't played the rest, but Wars in America wasn't about state building and diplomacy like the EU games are, it was about supply levels and ambushes in a difficult terrain. While I'm not familiar with their latest title, I assume that this new Roman game is also about wars and battles.

I hope paradox is not freaked out by the prospect of returning to rome because of the first game has problems. CK1 had problems like heaps of bugs and crashes and the graphics made your eyes bleed but it was still a fun and well designed game. the same logic applies to a possible rome 2 sequel. I just hope it is a unique game not Europa Univeralis IV set in the ancient world.

Yep, definitely. Rome was basically the genesis of the masterpiece that is CK2 and basically got left out in the cold. Now that they've moved through Sengoku and CK2 maybe they can return and make the greatest Rome strategy game ever known (hard to beat R:TW, though).

(hard to beat R:TW, though)

I don't know about that.

I think having Rome 2 start at a few pre-defined times rather than any date throughout the Republic, they could focus on the much more important stuff. The addition of plots, dynamic events, and including some of the hierarchy features of CK2 would go a long way towards making Rome 2 awesome. Also, CK2 showed that the latest game engine was capable of changing the warfare dynamic away from huge stacks of standing armies, towards raised armies, which is important for most of the Roman Republic's existence.

I think Rome 2, if done right would be quite realistic and still fun to play.

AGEOD recently split from Paradox and is back to working on its own as an independent developer. Alea Jacta Est looks great, so far, and it seems very similar to their previous games (with a few added features) that tend to focus on warfare, not state-building. It's a complex game, but if you're looking for a Roman fix, it's worth checking out. It releases tomorrow, and there should be a demo coming out sometime soon, according to the AGEOD forums.

I would much like a sequel to EU:Rome as I was kind of disapointed (mainly because I was more inclined towards playing barbarians then civilised folk, and they can be very frustrating). If there was a sequel to Rome with more mechanics, and more expansion of non-rome/non-greece/non-civilised. I'd guarantee a purchase and likely a pre-order.

As far as I can tell, my playing experience was, download a mod to give me more barbarians, enslave the neighbouring barbarians, send assasins to playable barbarians, get idiot envoys assasinated, war, and let infamy be damned. Manpower never replenished, and eventually Rome would come bounding up and ruin everything (this happened in Vanilla too) and I rarely had ports or people would rarely trade with my ports if they were civilised, thusly raising civilisation was hard even when I kept going with research sacrifice and that anti-tradition event.

I know, I am grumbling, but it is what I'd like to see improved EU:Rome and why I'd buy EU:Rome 2 the moment I noticed it was pre-orderable, because of the possibility of something more from the era.

Last edited:
SIGN ME UP!

I'd take either Rome2 or another expansion to UE:Rome (my favorite of Paradox's games).

My biggest desire is for a longer game (preferably, an earlier start date). Oh, and less bouncy combats.

Status
Not open for further replies.