• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Status
Not open for further replies.
The ideas in this thread are really heating up! For some reason, Roma Universalis sounds amazing.

Another year, another let down. Oh, well. I'll tide myself over with TW: Rome 2 until EU Rome 2 gets made. Good news about EUIV, though.

Johan mentioned Rome in an interview he described it as a "non sequel" and that people didn't buy it for that reason. From that I'd say it doesn't look good for Rome 2. Johan is wrong though, people didn't buy it because it was not HOI/EU/Vicky. They didn't buy it because it's not a very good game. Don't get me wrong I love the game but it's not even half as good as it should have been and feels half-hearted and unfinished. Despite the game's faults I am still gutted that they're making EU4 instead of Rome 2.

I think part of the problem is that the "Europa Universalis" title carries with it certain expectations. IMHO, Rome would do better being separated from its roots and becoming a standalone IP in its own right; no one expects Victoria or Crusader Kings to have anywhere near the same focus as EU. Give it it's own name and it's own identity and you could have a much stronger game IMHO.

I'm just playing my first learning campaign after finally purchasing this game in the recent Steam sale (being fairly passive as the Picts, just to see what transpires) - I'm really enjoying it, but can't help thinking how incredible it would be if it used the latest maps and graphics (as per CK2 and Sengoku), and a little more character control. Perhaps an ancient era emphasis rather than a purely Rome based game might have a wider appeal, but yes, I'd love to see new life for this game in the future.

Johan mentioned Rome in an interview he described it as a "non sequel" and that people didn't buy it for that reason. From that I'd say it doesn't look good for Rome 2. Johan is wrong though, people didn't buy it because it was not HOI/EU/Vicky. They didn't buy it because it's not a very good game. Don't get me wrong I love the game but it's not even half as good as it should have been and feels half-hearted and unfinished. Despite the game's faults I am still gutted that they're making EU4 instead of Rome 2.
I agree. Knowing only very little about programming I can't help but think that Paradox would have managed to make a much better game if they had focused on one starting date instead of crafting historical characters for all years the game has.

I agree. Knowing only very little about programming I can't help but think that Paradox would have managed to make a much better game if they had focused on one starting date instead of crafting historical characters for all years the game has.

A CK2 approach with a few available start dates would have been cool.

And the ability for modders to add more on their own.

There still is 2 unannounced projects that are said to be shown at the paradox convention don't think either will be Rome tho. Here the link http://www.paradoxplaza.com/events/games.
That's from earlier this year already. Project Eisenhower turned out to be Napoleon's Campaigns II, not sure what Bodyguard was.

Though Johan has said that there are other, as-yet unannounced games in production as well.

I am late, but yes I want a Rome 2.

I also want a game to bridge the gap between Rome 2 and CK 2. I would also pay good money for a decent game converter (like the mod) with many options to convert from Rome 2< New Game< CK2< EU4< VIC2< HOI3. Then my life would be over as I would never leave the house anymore. :) Multiple monitors to look up all the history while playing and books to read, it would be the end of me.

Last edited:
I am late, but yes I want a Rome 2.

I also want a game to bridge the gap between Rome 2 and CK 2, then I would pay good money for a decent game converter (like the mod) with many options to convert from Rome 2< New Game< CK2< EU4< VIC2< HOI3. Then my life would be over as I would never leave the house anymore. :) Multiple monitors to look up all the history while playing and books to read, it would be the end of me.

How would that work? Rome in the middle ages with a feudal system? Poor pope would be homeless:/

Well if you are not so hot on the Total War series, but want some Roman wargamming, be sure to check out the new game from AGEOD (formerly? Paradox France).
Alea Jacta Est (The Die is Cast) - preorders taken now, game release in September.

More operational level with some politics and economics added. I've always been more intersted in 'Days of Infamy' rather than 'Days of Our Lives' gaming so I would prefer that over a CK2-Rome clone. I do like how the devs tried to represent the factional elements in this Rome character driven game story. Can't say how or if AJE does anything with the factions.

Still, worrying about some idiot step-son stabbing me in the back or killing my favorite heir -- actually bores me.
But that is my choice - I came here to praise Cesear, not bury CK2... ahahhahah
check it out - they could use the bump.

How would that work? Rome in the middle ages with a feudal system? Poor pope would be homeless:/

It would obviously change in the game or two that would bridge the gap to CK2. An option in the converter could also exist like closest govt type to swap to. Its just a longshot to want them to link up with CK2 as the mods are in the works or working to already convert saves from CK2< EU3 < VIC2 < HOI3

Doubtful we will ever see it. I am already happy with the current progress on the converters, and would happily pay money for a well done one covering CK2 to HOI3.

Rome 280bc-27ad about 300 years
Gap 1039 years (Doubt it will be filled, 1 game would have to have fast timeline.)
CK2 1066-1453 about 400 years
EU3 1399-1821 about 400 years (can easily be played to 1836.)
VIC2 1836-1936 100 years
HOI3 1936-1948

Just wishful thinking on my part really.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.