+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 67 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 12 27 52 ... LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 1340

Thread: who wants rome 2?

  1. #21
    i think someone asked about rome II or an expansion a few months ago, and paradox reply was that it's possible but improbable, since they have cooking up so many other things. So my guess is, we'll have to wait about 8 years like for CKII to get a new game:-(
    Byzantine.Hellenistic.Ottoman.Sogdian

  2. #22
    Colonel Sol Invictus's Avatar
    Europa Universalis 3EU3 CompleteMarch of the EaglesEuropa Universalis: RomeRome Gold
    Rise of Prussia

    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    Kentucky/USA
    Posts
    1,026
    Quote Originally Posted by lucaluca View Post
    i think someone asked about rome II or an expansion a few months ago, and paradox reply was that it's possible but improbable, since they have cooking up so many other things. So my guess is, we'll have to wait about 8 years like for CKII to get a new game:-(

    Ouch! I could very well be dead by then. Please Paradox, make my final days happy ones by releasing Rome II within a couple of years. It would be the compassionate thing to do.
    "The fruit of too much liberty is slavery", Cicero

    "To know nothing of the time before you were born is to remain forever a child", Cicero

  3. #23
    Rome II would be a welcome addition... chances are Rome II: Total War would be released well before it however.

  4. #24
    Colonel Sol Invictus's Avatar
    Europa Universalis 3EU3 CompleteMarch of the EaglesEuropa Universalis: RomeRome Gold
    Rise of Prussia

    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    Kentucky/USA
    Posts
    1,026
    Quote Originally Posted by Gannicus View Post
    Rome II would be a welcome addition... chances are Rome II: Total War would be released well before it however.

    No doubt. I expect that R2: TW is well under developement.
    "The fruit of too much liberty is slavery", Cicero

    "To know nothing of the time before you were born is to remain forever a child", Cicero

  5. #25
    Quote Originally Posted by Sol Invictus View Post
    Ouch! I could very well be dead by then. Please Paradox, make my final days happy ones by releasing Rome II within a couple of years. It would be the compassionate thing to do.
    i hope you're joking?

    The ideal Rome II would be for me:

    - whole Europe, Asia and Africa
    - divine wind inspired system of moving nomads to replace barbarians and colonization
    - character system of CKII, but lighter since we would still play a nation (basically less characters, only the main court and maybe provincial capitals)
    - more attention to military: more troop types, tactics, etc.
    - more attention to techs and national ideas, science, etc.
    - more in depth religious and philosophical system (similar to Strength and Honor), representing the spreading of neoplatonism, mithraism, escatologism, etc.
    - holding system of CKII, with possibility of destroying cities and building new ones like Alexander
    - more indepth political system for republics and tribes, more intrigue for monarchies

    Is it asking too much?
    Byzantine.Hellenistic.Ottoman.Sogdian

  6. #26
    Colonel Sol Invictus's Avatar
    Europa Universalis 3EU3 CompleteMarch of the EaglesEuropa Universalis: RomeRome Gold
    Rise of Prussia

    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    Kentucky/USA
    Posts
    1,026
    Quote Originally Posted by lucaluca View Post
    i hope you're joking?

    The ideal Rome II would be for me:

    - whole Europe, Asia and Africa
    - divine wind inspired system of moving nomads to replace barbarians and colonization
    - character system of CKII, but lighter since we would still play a nation (basically less characters, only the main court and maybe provincial capitals)
    - more attention to military: more troop types, tactics, etc.
    - more attention to techs and national ideas, science, etc.
    - more in depth religious and philosophical system (similar to Strength and Honor), representing the spreading of neoplatonism, mithraism, escatologism, etc.
    - holding system of CKII, with possibility of destroying cities and building new ones like Alexander
    - more indepth political system for republics and tribes, more intrigue for monarchies

    Is it asking too much?

    Well maybe just a little. I like your list but would prefer a bit less landmass.
    "The fruit of too much liberty is slavery", Cicero

    "To know nothing of the time before you were born is to remain forever a child", Cicero

  7. #27
    I love these suggestions. Please Paradox. This is a fascinating period of history. Rome 2 PLEASE!!
    Quote Originally Posted by lucaluca View Post
    i hope you're joking?

    The ideal Rome II would be for me:

    - whole Europe, Asia and Africa
    - divine wind inspired system of moving nomads to replace barbarians and colonization
    - character system of CKII, but lighter since we would still play a nation (basically less characters, only the main court and maybe provincial capitals)
    - more attention to military: more troop types, tactics, etc.
    - more attention to techs and national ideas, science, etc.
    - more in depth religious and philosophical system (similar to Strength and Honor), representing the spreading of neoplatonism, mithraism, escatologism, etc.
    - holding system of CKII, with possibility of destroying cities and building new ones like Alexander
    - more indepth political system for republics and tribes, more intrigue for monarchies

    Is it asking too much?


    "Nobody ever won a war by dying for his country. You win by making the other poor son of a bitch die for his country." Gen. Patton.

  8. #28
    Field Marshal Olaus Petrus's Avatar
    Hearts of Iron 2: ArmageddonCrusader Kings IIDeus VultDiplomacyDivine Wind
    Heir to the ThroneEuropa Universalis III: In NomineMarch of the EaglesEU3 Napoleon's AmbitionEuropa Universalis: Rome
    SengokuSword of the StarsVictoria 2Victoria II: A House DividedVictoria II: Heart of Darkness
    Rome: Vae VictisCK2: Holy KnightEU Rome Collectors EditionEU3 Collectors Edition500k club
    Europa Universalis IV: Pre-orderEUIV: Wealth of NationsEUIV: Conquest of ParadiseEUIV: Res Publica

    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Österland
    Posts
    6,227
    Quote Originally Posted by lucaluca View Post
    - whole Europe, Asia and Africa
    I have never understood this wish. Why should places like Mongolia, Japan and Zimbabwe be in Greco-Roman strategy game? I think that in Europe there could be bit more Scythia on the map, but I don't see why Northern Europe should be in game. There was nothing of interest in Roman times, just more barbarians. I don't think that map should extend further in Asia than Greco-Bactrian kingdom. And in Africa it really shouldn't go further than Nubia or Ethiopia.
    "Reddite ergo quae sunt Caesaris Caesari et quae sunt Dei Deo."

    -Iesus Nazarenus

  9. #29
    Colonel Sol Invictus's Avatar
    Europa Universalis 3EU3 CompleteMarch of the EaglesEuropa Universalis: RomeRome Gold
    Rise of Prussia

    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    Kentucky/USA
    Posts
    1,026
    Quote Originally Posted by Olaus Petrus View Post
    I have never understood this wish. Why should places like Mongolia, Japan and Zimbabwe be in Greco-Roman strategy game? I think that in Europe there could be bit more Scythia on the map, but I don't see why Northern Europe should be in game. There was nothing of interest in Roman times, just more barbarians. I don't think that map should extend further in Asia than Greco-Bactrian kingdom. And in Africa it really shouldn't go further than Nubia or Ethiopia.

    Agreed.
    "The fruit of too much liberty is slavery", Cicero

    "To know nothing of the time before you were born is to remain forever a child", Cicero

  10. #30
    Quasi-Teetotaler UniversalWolf's Avatar
    Deus VultEast India Company CollectionEuropa Universalis 3Europa Universalis: ChroniclesEuropa Universalis III: In Nomine
    EU3 Napoleon's AmbitionRome GoldSword of the StarsMount & Blade: Warband

    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Wisconsin, USA
    Posts
    1,034
    I'm on the side of wanting more character depth for Rome 2. Not that it should be exactly like CK2, but similar. It fits with the zeitgeist of the era, since the movers-and-shakers were either individual Alexander wannabes or figures operating within the political structure of a constitution. In fact, individual personalities and different forms of constitutional government and citizenship are the two most outstanding characteristics of the game's time period. Rome 2 should focus on those things.
    I support separation of charity and state.

  11. #31
    Quote Originally Posted by Gannicus View Post
    Rome II would be a welcome addition... chances are Rome II: Total War would be released well before it however.
    I think if, Pdox will time the release together with TW to profit from the marketing of the great rival. The same as with Sengoku.

  12. #32
    First Lieutenant Sardoniscorn's Avatar
    Arsenal of DemocracyHearts of Iron 2: ArmageddonCrusader Kings IIDarkest HourEU3 Complete
    Divine WindFor the MotherlandHearts of Iron IIIHOI3: Their Finest HourHeir to the Throne
    Rome GoldSemper FiVictoria 2Victoria II: A House DividedVictoria II: Heart of Darkness
    500k clubEuropa Universalis IV

    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Post-colonial wasteland
    Posts
    294
    Quote Originally Posted by foriavik View Post
    I think if, Pdox will time the release together with TW to profit from the marketing of the great rival. The same as with Sengoku.
    Piggyback marketing is an amusing thought. Although I don't hold much hope for Rome II: Total Bore if it's anything like the abortive Shogun II.

    The Roma Surrectum II mod for the original is really great and worth checking out, though.

    Anyway, enough deviation, a Paradoxian Rome II will surely blow anything even remotely comparable out of the water.
    The owl of Minerva takes its flight only when the shades of night are gathering.

  13. #33
    First Lieutenant Walker85's Avatar
    200k clubCities in MotionCrusader Kings IIDeus VultEuropa Universalis 3
    EU3 CompleteDivine WindFor The GloryFor the MotherlandHearts of Iron III
    HOI3: Their Finest HourHeir to the ThroneEuropa Universalis III: In NomineMagickaMarch of the Eagles
    EU3 Napoleon's AmbitionEuropa Universalis: RomeSemper FiSengokuVictoria 2
    Victoria II: A House DividedVictoria II: Heart of DarknessRome: Vae VictisMount & Blade: WarbandMount & Blade: With Fire and Sword
    CK2: Holy Knight500k clubEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-orderEUIV: Res Publica

    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Ocean of Storms
    Posts
    247
    Of course I want Rome 2, who doesn't?

    Quote Originally Posted by Zaferbey View Post
    Rome is still in current-games forum so expansion is possible. But if it cost as much as new expansion for V2 I won`t buy it.
    I think that it would be logical to apply to Rome ideas and technologies (like improved clausewitz and map engine) developed by pdox for CK2 - but that would mean complete overhaul of Rome. That is why I think that Rome 2 is more probable than an expansion.

    Nevertheless, I guess that EU4 (or maybe some new franchise) is first in line and will be developed before Rome 2.
    Also owner of: EU 1, EU 2, EU 3 - Collector's Edition, HOI 1, HOI 2, Victoria 1, Crusader Kings 1.

  14. #34
    Rather than Rome 2, when are they going to finish the patch? Personally, I think they should take the time to tweak the current game like they have with EU3, Rome only has one expansion, and seems to be still dealing with issues. I think they could do quite a bit with the current game to make it more playable and more visually appealing (mainly the portraits in my opinion) I would love an expansion, maybe that expands the game a bit more into the empire era which had a LOT of intrigue. maybe even into the eras near the fall of rome.

  15. #35

    CK2 and Rome 2.

    If CK2 get's decent modeling of Republics, including a state to state alliances, new holding types and some more applicable laws, then you could potentially do a wicked Rome game based off of the mechanics.

    -Pope mechanics are the Console (City leaders)
    -Feudal Mechanics are the Greeks and Tribes (High / Low crown laws respectably)
    -Mongoles continue on a barbarian hoards.

    You play as a Roman Senator that has to either be the console, or be in good with the console, this lets you lead armies and increase your over sea's holdings, with the eventual goal of creating a hereditary ruler of the Roman state. The challenge would be having enough to do during the times when you are not leading army's.

  16. #36
    Quote Originally Posted by Olaus Petrus View Post
    I have never understood this wish. Why should places like Mongolia, Japan and Zimbabwe be in Greco-Roman strategy game? I think that in Europe there could be bit more Scythia on the map, but I don't see why Northern Europe should be in game. There was nothing of interest in Roman times, just more barbarians. I don't think that map should extend further in Asia than Greco-Bactrian kingdom. And in Africa it really shouldn't go further than Nubia or Ethiopia.
    because more countries to play is more fun? After the conquer of the mediterranean basin, which is the inevitable outcome of every rome game, the next step would be to rival/trade with the big empires of Persia, India and China, and to face off the nomad invasions such as White Huns and eruopean barbarians. The Eurasian empires had all a very similar political structure so it would be easy to model (heck, even the current Rome models well India and China, see Magna terra).

    The game of course would become an ancient EU rather than a game only focused on Rome, and this would benefit replay-ability and fun factor.
    Byzantine.Hellenistic.Ottoman.Sogdian

  17. #37
    I haven't gotten to CK2 yet aside from the demo, but I wonder- how easy is CK2 to mod? It seems like it wouldn't be too much of a stretch to make a Rome 2 esque mod.

    If it's not difficult/possible, I'd willingly devote some time to it. I've done an alternate scenario for EU3: DW, so I have at least something to offer.

  18. #38
    Quote Originally Posted by lucaluca View Post
    because more countries to play is more fun? After the conquer of the mediterranean basin, which is the inevitable outcome of every rome game, the next step would be to rival/trade with the big empires of Persia, India and China, and to face off the nomad invasions such as White Huns and eruopean barbarians. The Eurasian empires had all a very similar political structure so it would be easy to model (heck, even the current Rome models well India and China, see Magna terra).

    The game of course would become an ancient EU rather than a game only focused on Rome, and this would benefit replay-ability and fun factor.

    I dont think Romans ever wanted to conquer the entire world IRL. They could have subjugated the germans and parthians easily but they didnt because their empire was allready more than overstretched. Adding more empires would be an interresting idea but maybe as trade partners and not just for butt kicking. Personally I would more favor extending the timeline rather the map- Cyrus the Great could be an interresting starting point as it marked a caesura in the ancient world

  19. #39
    cool got some responses..this is my idea...you know how CK2 was only a distant dream, intill the forumites started placing "Is this CK2" threads everywhere? i've heard the devs state, that one of the reasons they made CK2 was because of that outcry..so I say, we start the "Is this rome 2?" movement! whos down?..

  20. #40
    Táltos Forodwaith's Avatar
    Arsenal of DemocracyCities in Motion 2Darkest HourEU3 CompleteDivine Wind
    For the MotherlandHearts of Iron IIIHOI3: Their Finest HourHeir to the ThroneMagicka
    March of the EaglesVictoria: RevolutionsRome GoldSemper FiSword of the Stars
    Rome: Vae VictisMount & Blade: WarbandMount & Blade: With Fire and SwordRise of Prussia500k club

    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Ankara, Turkey
    Posts
    87
    An expansion for EU:R would be even better
    "Where some states have an army, the Prussian Army has a state!"

    - Voltaire

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 67 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 12 27 52 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts