+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: What's the point in changing to an empire?

What's the point in changing to an empire?

ive tried it a couple times now and i dont c the point in it? nothing good ever comes from it... does any 1 ever change to it and good good??

Additional icons required Demi Moderator pevergreen's Avatar
    54 games registered

Europa Universalis 3Europa Universalis: ChroniclesEU3 Complete500k clubEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-order
    EUIV: Call to arms event

It leads to better government types.

Feudal Monarchy -> Empire -> Noble Republic/Absolute Monarchy

Quote Originally Posted by pevergreen View Post
    It leads to better government types.

Feudal Monarchy -> Empire -> Noble Republic/Absolute Monarchy

ahhh so it is worth doing it then? or going a different route? i like being england / austria

No centralization limits either

Commander, US Pacific Fleet Sheridan's Avatar
    Crusader Kings IIEU3 CompleteDivine WindHeir to the ThroneRome Gold
    500k club

Also, in the short term, you get a magistrate boost, and I think an infamy boost also. Later, you can use it as a stepping stone to Administrative Monarchy, which has better boosts.

Any country with 30+ provinces and a European monarchy type government can declare an Empire. It's a seperate concept from the HRE, so (as England, Austria, etc) it would be seperate from any particular strategy. For example, a united Spain (or Great Britain for that matter) will reach the criteria with about 5-8 overseas provinces/colonies.
    Sunshine patriot - Southern California sunshine, that is...

plays EU2, EU3-DW (usually with D&T), and occasionally dusts off HOI, HOI2, CK, Rome, or Victoria

Sheridan's EU2 France 1419 Strategy Guide (outdated but still useful in concept)

Also, if you're talking MP, and it's fairly early on, +0.5 to land morale can be a pretty big edge.

Europa Universalis 3Europa Universalis: ChroniclesEU3 CompleteEU3 Napoleon's AmbitionEuropa Universalis: Rome

It is +0,25, not +0,5 but still, may change the face of a battle.

Crusader Kings IIEuropa Universalis: ChroniclesHearts of Iron III Collection500k clubEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-order

And don't forget the Holy War CB.

Quote Originally Posted by bestbrian View Post
    And don't forget the Holy War CB.
    and slightly faster slider moves as well...

but less manpower and army size yes? wont that b a bad thing when it comes to wars?

I believe you can go straight from feudal monarchy to absolute monarchy.

EU3 CompleteEuropa Universalis: Rome

Quote Originally Posted by xbudx View Post
    but less manpower and army size yes? wont that b a bad thing when it comes to wars?
    Honestly, if you have enough provinces to become an empire, manpower usually does not matter in the slightest, Having an army 100% of your limit is usually an unnecesary strain on the finances. At least it is in most of my games (exceptions: previous OPM's which have a lot of uncored land. In this case it would not be a good idea to swich to empire ASAP indeed)

Europa Universalis 3Europa Universalis: ChroniclesEU3 CompleteEU3 Napoleon's AmbitionEuropa Universalis: Rome

Quote Originally Posted by Memento Mori View Post
    Honestly, if you have enough provinces to become an empire, manpower usually does not matter in the slightest, Having an army 100% of your limit is usually an unnecesary strain on the finances. At least it is in most of my games (exceptions: previous OPM's which have a lot of uncored land. In this case it would not be a good idea to swich to empire ASAP indeed)
    I think in MP it is a big case. Also countries like france can have army over their limit, and do not have any financial problem. If your limit is 100k you should aim to have 100k. OFC as long as your finances can support it.

Crusader Kings IIEuropa Universalis IV

About the Holy War CB, you normally only get it on nations bordering you, but with Empire you don't need a border. This widens your opportunities for growth immensely.

The lack of limit to centralization, though a nice benefit, doesn't really help you until you actually get your centralization that high.

Giving up forcelimit for the morale bonus, though. That's the key in my view... I'd say taking the morale bonus is a good tradeoff because the forcelimit issue is fundamentally a finance problem, solvable in this game by so many ways, but there are limits to how high you can boost the early morale limit.
    ----
    Working for a living...

Commander, US Pacific Fleet Sheridan's Avatar
    Crusader Kings IIEU3 CompleteDivine WindHeir to the ThroneRome Gold
    500k club

Quote Originally Posted by dageir View Post
    I believe you can go straight from feudal monarchy to absolute monarchy.
    Or at least Administrative Monarchy, yes. But Empire, if you can meet its requirements, makes a decent step up from Feudal... and it's not technology based, so you can get it earlier than any of the others become available. Essentially, you end up working up your techs while under Empire instead of Feudal... but Empire is optional to this progression, yes. Nothing better is available until Administrative, which if I recall is govt tech 18?
    Sunshine patriot - Southern California sunshine, that is...

plays EU2, EU3-DW (usually with D&T), and occasionally dusts off HOI, HOI2, CK, Rome, or Victoria

Sheridan's EU2 France 1419 Strategy Guide (outdated but still useful in concept)

HoI AnthologyEuropa Universalis: ChroniclesHearts of Iron IIILost Empire - ImmortalsEuropa Universalis: Rome
    Victoria 2

Two answer the original question : Yes. I am playing as Denmark, and got empire by.. 1460, I think..And it was Splendid! Suddenly I could Centralize, and as I formed Scandinavia I got to central -3, and then with the militia decision got central -4. Excellent!

Going Empire was a Big Yes for me! Ohh, and more magistrates!

Crusader Kings IIEU3 CompleteDivine WindHeir to the ThroneMagicka
    Mount & Blade: WarbandEuropa Universalis IVEUIV: Wealth of NationsEUIV: Conquest of ParadiseEUIV: Res Publica

Question though: It seems that my legitimacy is cut in half when I become an Empire, and as a result my Infamy limit goes down and into the red.

Anyway to avoid this ?

Cat
    Pour l'histoire: Un concours original, La partie de ScrAARble

"Le monde est un jeu de Go, dont les règles ont été inutilement compliquées"

(proverbe chinois)

Si l'on retranchait du patriotisme de la plupart des hommes la haine et le mépris des autres nations, il resterait peu de choses.
    [Duc de Lévis, "Maximes et réflexions"]

Soyez attentif à mes posts de modérateur, ils sont de cette couleur / Be aware when I write a moderation post in this color.

Quote Originally Posted by Cat Lord View Post
    Question though: It seems that my legitimacy is cut in half when I become an Empire, and as a result my Infamy limit goes down and into the red.

Anyway to avoid this ?

Cat
    This happens whenever you switch forms of government.

Well... NO. But YES. No, you can't avoid lose of legitimacy, but YES, you can avoid the problems, if you will make your infamy down BEFORE, you change to empire OR, you can just change to empire when your legitimacy is equal to ZERO. If it is, you won't lose legitimacy...

Sergeant
    EU3 CompleteDivine WindHeir to the ThroneVictoria: RevolutionsVictoria 2

Your ruler gets cooler title (Emperor, Czar etc.).

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast