• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

unmerged(389675)

Second Lieutenant
4 Badges
Oct 5, 2011
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • Divine Wind
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Heir to the Throne
The title says it all.

I'm trying to figure out what to play in my next MP game....because it's MP, I really don't want to be any further behind tech-wise than Muslim or, at worst, Eastern European; likewise, I want to be in/around Europe....

And to make things interesting, I'm opting not to play top-tier powers like Spain, France, Austria, the Ottomans, and Burgundy....

I'd really like to play a t2 country with a deep pool of good // interesting missions.... and so...advice welcome!

The title says it all.

I'm trying to figure out what to play in my next MP game....because it's MP, I really don't want to be any further behind tech-wise than Muslim or, at worst, Eastern European; likewise, I want to be in/around Europe....

And to make things interesting, I'm opting not to play top-tier powers like Spain, France, Austria, the Ottomans, and Burgundy....

I'd really like to play a t2 country with a deep pool of good // interesting missions.... and so...advice welcome!

Brandenburg has theoretically a lot of nice missions to expand their lands. (check Prussian_missions.txt)

Other than that, the other quite popular nations; Holland (just horribly 'luck' based, unless you want to dow for non-core provinces), Bavaria, Hansa, Sweden (I think you'll get missions for cores to get area of 'Swedish Empire') and of course Muscovy (If you can handle GH, you'll be paved way to create Russia)

Those are few coming to mind, you should check the missions folder and check countries which have a lot of flavor missions, they're generally nicest to play.

Bavaria is a pretty good country as they have plenty of conquer and subjugation missions. Horrible sliders though, and forming Germany is usually a big nono in multiplayer games.

Teutonic order is rather nice and fun to play.

Why is forming germany a big nono?
I've never played MP, so I have no idea :)

Bavaria has a lot of good missions. You get a bunch of Conquer x for the wittlesbach dynasty. A lot of subjugation also.

Hansa get some good economy missions, can set up to be a nice colonial empire, or switch to a kingdom and start conquering at tech 9.

Bohemia if you are not considering it a t1, is really really strong because you are western tech with slavic culture in HRE, so you get so many good PU targets (lithuania, hungary, poland, transylvania and the entire HRE).

Teutonic Order gives you a lot of conquest missions, so you can expand well.

Sweden gives a lot of conquest missions, but you also start with some colonies and you are way way way to poor to support them realistically at the beginning.

Aragon gives some good missions, get the Claims in Italy, and you get conquest on Sardinia and Siciliy, along with a core in Greece iirc.

Norway is a little hard to play as, but rather fun. they does not have nice missions as Bavaria though. one of my favorite nations to play and I dont think Norway is a popular nation to play as but I can asure you its really fun and at the begining at the game you have to rely on another nation strength to beat sweden (they declare war on you when they are free from denmark most likely) you could also take the chance to beat them alone when they have lost theyr maim army or have high revolt, its a challange but not so hard as rouyku though, if you did understand this.... I didnt :p

Norway is a little hard to play as, but rather fun. they does not have nice missions as Bavaria though. one of my favorite nations to play and I dont think Norway is a popular nation to play as but I can asure you its really fun and at the begining at the game you have to rely on another nation strength to beat sweden (they declare war on you when they are free from denmark most likely) you could also take the chance to beat them alone when they have lost theyr maim army or have high revolt, its a challange but not so hard as rouyku though, if you did understand this.... I didnt :p
norway is to weak and dont have enough potential in mp, while bravaria is landlocked, have crappy sliders and is in the line of fire of Austria, Switzerland is pretty much the only land locked HRE minor that have enough potential, and even than its a bit tricky since you need to be good at diplo in order to do well with it

Bavaria has great missions but is unplayable because of Austria. If you want an actually playable second-tier country with decent missions, play Sweden.

Aragon is rather nice alternative for Castille, because it gets nice missions and it offers interesting play to keep Castillians at bay. Both Denmark and Sweden get plenty of nice missions and have better chance of success than Norway. Hungary gets only few good mission, but it has excellent strategic position, which allows expansion into Eastern Europe, Balkans and HRE.

I'd say Denmark, Bavaria, possibly Holland, Brandenburg or Sweden. The idea would be either unifying Scandinavia or (at least part of) Germany. If you have the option, I'd make the final choice to give you some space from the other human players, unless they're people you've played with before and can work with (such as a friendly Austria if you go for Bavaria). Keeping the Danish-Swedish PU going is possible as Denmark... if you DoW someone right off the bat, doesn't matter who, Sweden will wait to start throwing insults. (They don't like you having a smaller army than them).

Denmark is a lot of fun to play, but by no means has good missions. You get a core on Osel, a 1 (maybe 2) base tax grain province. You get a few extra prestige for taking Gotland. You get 50 ducats and 5 merchants for acquiring a CoT. You get a free +1 stab every once in a while for bribing Oldenburg. It's better than nothing, I guess...but Sweden's missions are about a gajillion times better.