• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Arcvalons

Field Marshal
76 Badges
Feb 21, 2010
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Expansion Pass
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Death or Dishonor
  • Crusader Kings II: Holy Knight (pre-order)
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Crusader Kings II: Sunset Invasion
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
  • Crusader Kings II: The Republic
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Crusader Kings II: Rajas of India
  • Crusader Kings II: Charlemagne
  • Crusader Kings II: Conclave
  • Crusader Kings II: Way of Life
  • Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
  • Crusader Kings II: Horse Lords
  • Crusader Kings II: Monks and Mystics
  • Crusader Kings II: Reapers Due
  • Crusader Kings II: Jade Dragon
  • Crusader Kings II: Holy Fury
  • Crusader Kings III
  • 500k Club
Anyone else feels Crown Authority is extremely easy to increase in this game? Decentralized realms should really not be able to achieve anything closer to High Crown Authority until the endgame (it'd be more historical too)!

Perphaps it shouldn't be a three-step process, and maybe you would require to have certain (very large) amount of prestige/piety and control certain percentage of the realm directly before each step. I'm thinking something more like the process to centralize the HRE in EU3. As it is now, everyone has Absolute Crown Authority within 100 years.

Oh, can anybody explain to me the logic of needing High Crown Authority to change certain succession laws? Since the description for Low Crown Authority states the vassals rule their lands like petty kingdoms, you'd think that means they can also change their own sucession laws freely.

My Crown authority is down to limited and I'm not even the King....just a count.....there's an 18 to 56 votes still open out there to increase it to the next level but it's been lingering like that for years and years. Seems the AI prefers lower Crown Authority in my game in Sweden anyways. The old king that died DECREASED it down to limited before he died.

Oh, can anybody explain to me the logic of needing High Crown Authority to change certain succession laws? Since the description for Low Crown Authority states the vassals rule their lands like petty kingdoms, you'd think that means they can also change their own sucession laws freely.

I think that's the TRADEOFF for LOW Crown Authority.....let the vassals rule their lands but the Crown holds the rights to ALL succession laws pretty much or LIMITS them a great deal. I can't get primogesture because of the Low Crown Authority right now. Have to deal with Elective or Gavelkind.

In my games not many kingdoms manage to increase the CA, except for the HRE. To fix this I have edited the opinion boost elective monarchs get, just for being elective.

the thing about changing election laws is just a gameplay-thing I guess. Otherwise there would be no reason at all to vote for higher CA. It also represents real history. Most realms were 'Gavelkind'-ish. Unfortunatly, elective monarchy is currently more attractive than gavelkind. But I personally never change my laws to elective.
Also: Decreasing the opinion boost for elective monarchy makes it a lot less attractive.

Crown authority gets automatically lowered if a vassal successfully defeats their liege in most types of civil wars. If a kingdom manages to keep all their vassals fat and happy, it makes sense that the crown authority goes up. Also, because of the heavy relationship penalty at the higher level, it can be difficult to hold it there (especially with a regency).

the thing about changing election laws is just a gameplay-thing I guess. Otherwise there would be no reason at all to vote for higher CA.

IMO there shouldn't be reason to want to vote for higher crown authority unless you are the King. I guess my complain is that the King is way more powerful than he should be, it's an era where they were just the first among nobles, it should be more difficult for them to raise stacks of 10K all the time (especially when they control only two counties directly).

IMO there shouldn't be reason to want to vote for higher crown authority unless you are the King. I guess my complain is that the King is way more powerful than he should be, it's an era where they were just the first among nobles, it should be more difficult for them to raise stacks of 10K all the time (especially when they control only two counties directly).

They may want to increase it to the point where vassals can't wage wars inside the kingdom just so they know they can't be attacked by fellow vassals. Or they could be dynasty members or allies or just hold the king in high regard or see it good for the kingdom or even as an opportunity to expand when the king is strong and can afford to go on a crusade or claim another kingdom.