+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Crown Authority too easy?

Crown Authority too easy?

Anyone else feels Crown Authority is extremely easy to increase in this game? Decentralized realms should really not be able to achieve anything closer to High Crown Authority until the endgame (it'd be more historical too)!

Perphaps it shouldn't be a three-step process, and maybe you would require to have certain (very large) amount of prestige/piety and control certain percentage of the realm directly before each step. I'm thinking something more like the process to centralize the HRE in EU3. As it is now, everyone has Absolute Crown Authority within 100 years.

Oh, can anybody explain to me the logic of needing High Crown Authority to change certain succession laws? Since the description for Low Crown Authority states the vassals rule their lands like petty kingdoms, you'd think that means they can also change their own sucession laws freely.

My Crown authority is down to limited and I'm not even the King....just a count.....there's an 18 to 56 votes still open out there to increase it to the next level but it's been lingering like that for years and years. Seems the AI prefers lower Crown Authority in my game in Sweden anyways. The old king that died DECREASED it down to limited before he died.

Oh, can anybody explain to me the logic of needing High Crown Authority to change certain succession laws? Since the description for Low Crown Authority states the vassals rule their lands like petty kingdoms, you'd think that means they can also change their own sucession laws freely.
    I think that's the TRADEOFF for LOW Crown Authority.....let the vassals rule their lands but the Crown holds the rights to ALL succession laws pretty much or LIMITS them a great deal. I can't get primogesture because of the Low Crown Authority right now. Have to deal with Elective or Gavelkind.

In my games not many kingdoms manage to increase the CA, except for the HRE. To fix this I have edited the opinion boost elective monarchs get, just for being elective.

the thing about changing election laws is just a gameplay-thing I guess. Otherwise there would be no reason at all to vote for higher CA. It also represents real history. Most realms were 'Gavelkind'-ish. Unfortunatly, elective monarchy is currently more attractive than gavelkind. But I personally never change my laws to elective.
    Also: Decreasing the opinion boost for elective monarchy makes it a lot less attractive.
    I lay awake, and strap myself to the bed.
    Put a bulletproof vest on, and shoot myself in the head.

What about interrealm alliances?

Check out the Lotharingia and Lowland mod for CK2!

Crown authority gets automatically lowered if a vassal successfully defeats their liege in most types of civil wars. If a kingdom manages to keep all their vassals fat and happy, it makes sense that the crown authority goes up. Also, because of the heavy relationship penalty at the higher level, it can be difficult to hold it there (especially with a regency).
    Come play Werewolf! Make new friends, then murder them!

Quote Originally Posted by Darrigan View Post
    the thing about changing election laws is just a gameplay-thing I guess. Otherwise there would be no reason at all to vote for higher CA.
    IMO there shouldn't be reason to want to vote for higher crown authority unless you are the King. I guess my complain is that the King is way more powerful than he should be, it's an era where they were just the first among nobles, it should be more difficult for them to raise stacks of 10K all the time (especially when they control only two counties directly).

Quote Originally Posted by Arcvalons View Post
    IMO there shouldn't be reason to want to vote for higher crown authority unless you are the King.
    Well maybe I'm not the king today, but eventually...

It's kinda the same reason people vote to lower taxes for rich people even if they aren't themselves.
    Come play Werewolf! Make new friends, then murder them!

It's kinda the same reason people vote to lower taxes for rich people even if they aren't themselves.
    What country does that happen in?

200k clubArsenal of DemocracyHearts of Iron 2: ArmageddonCities in MotionCities in Motion 2
    Crusader Kings IIDeus VultEast India CompanyEuropa Universalis 3Divine Wind
    For The GloryHearts of Iron IIIHeir to the ThroneEuropa Universalis III: In NomineLost Empire - Immortals
    Majesty 2EU3 Napoleon's AmbitionVictoria: RevolutionsEuropa Universalis: RomeSemper Fi
    SengokuSword of the Stars IIVictoria 2Victoria II: A House DividedVictoria II: Heart of Darkness
    Rome: Vae VictisWarlock: Master of the ArcaneCK2: Holy Knight500k clubEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-order
    Warlock 2: The Exiled

Personally I agree that crown authority in general seems to easy for kings to raise and too hard for vassals to lower back down successfully.

Field Marshal
    Crusader Kings IIEU3 CompleteDivine WindHeir to the Throne

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Arcvalons View Post
    IMO there shouldn't be reason to want to vote for higher crown authority unless you are the King. I guess my complain is that the King is way more powerful than he should be, it's an era where they were just the first among nobles, it should be more difficult for them to raise stacks of 10K all the time (especially when they control only two counties directly).
    They may want to increase it to the point where vassals can't wage wars inside the kingdom just so they know they can't be attacked by fellow vassals. Or they could be dynasty members or allies or just hold the king in high regard or see it good for the kingdom or even as an opportunity to expand when the king is strong and can afford to go on a crusade or claim another kingdom.

+ Reply to Thread