• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Phystarstk

Major
117 Badges
Jun 6, 2003
Visit site
  • Teleglitch: Die More Edition
  • Lead and Gold
  • The Kings Crusade
  • Magicka
  • Majesty 2
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • Europa Universalis IV: Res Publica
  • Victoria: Revolutions
  • Rome Gold
  • Sengoku
  • Sword of the Stars
  • Sword of the Stars II
  • Supreme Ruler 2020
  • Knights of Pen and Paper +1 Edition
  • The Showdown Effect
  • Victoria 2
  • Victoria 2: A House Divided
  • Victoria 2: Heart of Darkness
  • Warlock: Master of the Arcane
  • War of the Roses
  • 200k Club
  • 500k Club
  • Cities: Skylines
  • Crusader Kings II: Holy Knight (pre-order)
  • Elven Legacy Collection
  • Europa Universalis 4: Emperor
  • Divine Wind
  • Crusader Kings II: Charlemagne
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Crusader Kings II: Rajas of India
  • Crusader Kings II: The Republic
  • Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
  • Crusader Kings II: Sunset Invasion
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
  • Deus Vult
  • Europa Universalis III
  • Europa Universalis III: Chronicles
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Europa Universalis IV: Art of War
  • Europa Universalis IV: Conquest of Paradise
  • Europa Universalis IV: Wealth of Nations
  • Europa Universalis IV: Call to arms event
  • For The Glory
  • Hearts of Iron III
  • Hearts of Iron III: Their Finest Hour
  • Hearts of Iron III Collection
  • Heir to the Throne
I'm just wondering if we can get any sense for how successful the game is. It seems like it's gotten rave reviews (really only comparable to EU3 in terms of Clausewitz games), and that there has been lots of interest in it. Has it been a runaway success?

Yes would be interesting to hear something about this. But yes, I suppose it must be a success. Like you say reviews are good, pre-game hype seemed big enough and once it's out it also proves to be a really good game, so if it is anything but a success the gaming market must have gone completely crazy.

I saw it in top 3 on steam few days before release. So probably well.
Sword of the Stars 2 was on the top games on steam on release, but I wouldn't call that a "success" :)

I too would like to know how successful this game was, although I like EU3 better - world in CK2 and VIC2 is rather static - in CK2 is small and filled with tiny nations and in VIC is colonized and filled with British Empire - EU3 is dynamic, with all that world to discover and conquer ;)

Hopefully it's sold a lot, however we got to remember it still is at its heart a more niche title that a cross section of the gaming community would just stone wall out of hand so it would be wise to manage expectations a little http://store.steampowered.com/stats/ . I'd be surprised if it sold as well as, say, Civ 5 did in the opening weeks, since that has the brand awareness that crosses out of the strategy market a bit more. But I guess that would be the price for developing more hardcore strategy games and god love Paradox that they do.

I suspect whatever the case, it'll ultimately sell, or have sold, more than any other Paradox grand strategy game as it has more mainstream appeal than any previous title IMO. Hopefully enough to justify expansions and such. And as much as I love EUIII and whatnot CK seems like a franchise that could become a break out title that draws in a lot of new fans. I know of at least a few Paradox virgins who have jumped into CKII, so that's promising.

EDIT: Yeah according to the quote it seems I was right. Little surprise as CKII seems like the most 'AAA' hardcore strat game ever. :) I'm hoping CK can take on Civ head to head someday in a BF3/COD situation as it deserves the same, if not more, prestige associated with it in gaming.

Last edited:
If Paradox wants to grow one step ahead they should arguably go console gaming (I dont personaly own any console though...)
Or maybe create a new kind of game : MMOGSG ! MMO Grand Strategy Game, but that would take a lot of ressources from them (designing a strong solid concept, getting servers running and such) so other games development and patching would take a hit.

Lastly i'm also wondering if Paradox released such a good and well polished game as an excuse for SotSII, or as a bait to be bought by a larger company (EA?), or raise funds for some special project ...

I dont know and frankly i dont care, as long as they do what they know to do : games that totally eat your soul.

What I like to think is that the publishing arm of Paradox makes them enough money that they have the freedom to make hardcore strategy games forever without ever having to pander to the mainstream more than is absolutely necessary to make the games profitable. :D

I rather suspect if they weren't also publishers, and moreso publishers of their own games, we wouldn't be getting the exact games we want and they currently make, but rather more broadly appealing watered down strategy games (naming no names).

Steam Stats has shown it as one of the most played games since it's release. From what I remember, it had more players than Star Trek Online the other day and Star Trek Online is free. :p

Lastly i'm also wondering if Paradox released such a good and well polished game as an excuse for SotSII, or as a bait to be bought by a larger company (EA?), or raise funds for some special project ...

You think that companies need excuse or some special reason to release good and well polished games?

:unsure:

You think that companies need excuse or some special reason to release good and well polished games?

:unsure:

well yes, sometimes they do. They have share holders who look at the figures. If a game who cost 1M to develop gets -50% RoI, believe me there are some managers who feel uncomfortable on their chair and they press their team and do everything possible to prove their worth. They have scrupulousness, just like you and me, dont they ?

Well on Steam it was in top 3 for sales several days before release and in the 7 days since release its been in the top 6 the whole time. As of the 21st it is still 6th right now. So it has to be selling pretty good. I see a good amount of DLC in the future, lol.

Hopefully it's sold a lot, however we got to remember it still is at its heart a more niche title that a cross section of the gaming community would just stone wall out of hand so it would be wise to manage expectations a little http://store.steampowered.com/stats/ . I'd be surprised if it sold as well as, say, Civ 5 did in the opening weeks, since that has the brand awareness that crosses out of the strategy market a bit more. But I guess that would be the price for developing more hardcore strategy games and god love Paradox that they do.

I suspect whatever the case, it'll ultimately sell, or have sold, more than any other Paradox grand strategy game as it has more mainstream appeal than any previous title IMO. Hopefully enough to justify expansions and such. And as much as I love EUIII and whatnot CK seems like a franchise that could become a break out title that draws in a lot of new fans. I know of at least a few Paradox virgins who have jumped into CKII, so that's promising.

EDIT: Yeah according to the quote it seems I was right. Little surprise as CKII seems like the most 'AAA' hardcore strat game ever. :) I'm hoping CK can take on Civ head to head someday in a BF3/COD situation as it deserves the same, if not more, prestige associated with it in gaming.

I think it's BETTER than CIV V myself. I put CIV V down almost immediately after seeing how it played. CIV IV and CIV II are the best imho. CKII will be up there now with CIV II, Sid's Alpha Centauri, Master of Magic (heh my online name and favorite game of all time), Medieval Total War I/Viking Invasion and XL mod, Combat Mission Africa Korps. ;) These ^ are the classics and will remain so for many decades to come. ;)

well yes, sometimes they do. They have share holders who look at the figures. If a game who cost 1M to develop gets -50% RoI, believe me there are some managers who feel uncomfortable on their chair and they press their team and do everything possible to prove their worth. They have scrupulousness, just like you and me, dont they ?

Paradox Interactive does not have shareholders, it has Frederik Wester. The twice world swamp cycling and rumoured omnilinguial who rules Paradox WITH HIS IRON FIST! HA HA HA!

In all seriousness, I think this is essentially what he said in an interview about DRM. Where other game developers/publishers have to use DRM to settle the fears of the board, Frederik can basically set policy as he pleases.

Edit: Here is the interview. It does not actually confirm anything I said but it does leave the impression that Paradox either has a board that likes and understands the game business or that Fred Wester is essentially a one man board.
http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/115497-Paradox-Chief-DRM-Is-a-Waste-of-Money

Last edited: