• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Really?

I don't have facts or figures for this one, but maybe you've seen it in your own experience. Why is it that when a new game mentions even allowing homosexual relationships (however tacitly), so many Americans get so offended by the notion? I mean, look at some of the responses on this forum (but also, I've heard about a lot of people getting offended by the idea of the remote possibility of such relationships in games like Mass Effect 3.). You might be right in that it's the media's fault, but...doesn't that make our society more oppressive?

that's all anecdotal and you fail to take into account that internet forums are a horrible way to judge a full demographic. also you're making way more of this than it is.

Because the people who get angry are much louder than the people who are happy with the way things are. They may or may not be more numerous, but they're definitely louder.

THIS x1000000000000000000000000000000000000!!!

We most certainly are, if you're using the term "liberal" as shorthand for "accepting of homosexuality," which for some reason we started doing in the last few posts in this thread

poll 5,000 Americans about homosexuality and I garauntee you the majority will answer with "who cares" or something similar. Don't judge population on talking heads, political pundits and candidates.

I don't have facts or figures for this one, but maybe you've seen it in your own experience. Why is it that when a new game mentions even allowing homosexual relationships (however tacitly), so many Americans get so offended by the notion?

Buttsex is a sin. Even implied buttsex as committed by imaginary people in a simulation of Europe (not) taking place 900 years ago.

Having recently found out that my son is gay I feel like I have first-hand knowledge of this very important issue. Obviously this was a very soul searching and eye opening time for his mother and myself who have always been traditionaly conservative. It was only after a great deal of time and thought into the matter that we had him imprisoned and his head lopped off. I'll bet he's up there singing with the fairies now.

Buttsex is a sin. Even implied buttsex as committed by imaginary people in a simulation of Europe (not) taking place 900 years ago.

might do better making an argument if you could keep it at least semi-serious and not 4chan-esque.

EDIT: also for everyone, me icluded. we're getting WAY too OT here... is this about the game anymore?

Having recently found out that my son is gay I feel like I have first-hand knowledge of this very important issue. Obviously this was a very soul searching and eye opening time for his mother and myself who have always been traditionaly conservative. It was only after a great deal of time and thought into the matter that we had him imprisoned and his head lopped off. I'll bet he's up there singing with the fairies now.

you're really not helping things, guy...

I'm not; I'm judging population on a chart I found on Wikipedia. (Did you see the chart?)

yes I did. and you believe everything on Wikipedia? I could tell you things about Wikipedia, but it would just start another OT topic and flaming. Let's just say Wikipedia is not immune to sever POV and agenda-pushing. I'm not going to expound further than that so please don't ask me to.

might do better making an argument if you could keep it at least semi-serious and not 4chan-esque.

What's with your compulsion to call everyone "4chanesque"? I don't see how sarcasm or every not-completely-serious comment ever is "4chanesque" just because you keep using that as a word.

yes I did. and you believe everything on Wikipedia? I could tell you things about Wikipedia, but it would just start another OT topic and flaming. Let's just say Wikipedia is not immune to sever POV and agenda-pushing. I'm not going to expound further than that so please don't ask me to.

You mean apart from the fact that it actually is about as reliable as any other serious Encyclopedia in it's Errors-per-Entry and that it's a noted success in the old model earlier encyclopedias were based on of community-compiled information?

Also I don't see a problem with the statistics he provided, since it seems to mirror every other poll done in recent years of near universal acceptance through much of western Europe, Britain being slightly more conservative and the US being on about an even 50% split (as with the headlines of "A majority now favours legalizing homosexual marriage" and so forth).

Nuril up to his old stalking and trolling bs. And it seems people have ceased talking about anything to do with the game itself.

Are you only on this forum to troll?

nothing I was doing was trolling. you and nuril are just troublemakers, who seem to have some sort of weird bromance going on for me. give it a rest already. no one's amused.

way to kill the thread, the three of you. I let a mod know how OT this has become.

In a game where you assassinate your children, marry for power, and father bastards with married courtiers, the greatest offence to the religious sensibilities of some appears to be the notion that - perish the thought! - a minority may achieve some modicum of realistic, period-accurate representation. That others are offered additional choice. How puerile, and how woefully insecure. One day, you shall find yourself in the minority on something, and when that day comes you can only hope the rest of us won't have become as callous and selfishly egomaniacal as you.

Since, alas, I'm not so confident Paradox will have the spine of Bioware, Bethesda or Lionhead and add additional options at the risk of jeopardising their apparent base of dickish homophobes, would there be any interest in a mod? It could probably be written to remain compatible with any other mod, now that the launcher supports running more than one mod simultaneously, since merely adding events afaik only necessitates adding files, not changing them.

In a game where you assassinate your children, marry for power, and father bastards with married courtiers, the greatest offence to the religious sensibilities of some appears to be the notion that - perish the thought! - a minority may achieve some modicum of realistic, period-accurate representation. That others are offered additional choice. How puerile, and how woefully insecure. One day, you shall find yourself in the minority on something, and when that day comes you can only hope the rest of us won't have become as callous and selfishly egomaniacal as you.

Since, alas, I'm not so confident Paradox will have the spine of Bioware, Bethesda or Lionhead and add additional options at the risk of jeopardising their apparent base of dickish homophobes, would there be any interest in a mod? It could probably be written to remain compatible with any other mod, now that the launcher supports running more than one mod simultaneously, since merely adding events afaik only necessitates adding files, not changing them.

the fact that I got sidetracked having to respond to trolls may have obscured my opinion on the real matter, in which case I want to say I agree with you completely. And citing Bioware and Bethesda is an excellent point. They don't seem to suffer from handling such themes in a realistic way.

+500

I couldn't have said it better.

I'm all for a mod, and if homophobic, superstitious jocks get the thread closed, I'd be happy to help you look for a team (and help out myself, wherever I could). I've wanted mods related to the topic for a while, and I'm willing to help with the coding on making them. :)

+500

I couldn't have said it better.

I'm all for a mod, and if homophobic, superstitious jocks get the thread closed, I'd be happy to help you look for a team (and help out myself, wherever I could). I've wanted mods related to the topic for a while, and I'm willing to help with the coding on making them. :)

yeah so we're clear I'm neither homophobic nor a jock. I my opinions has always been in the positive concerning the topic at hand. People only copped an attitude when I dared to say the USA isn't as far-right as they are mnaking it out to be. As for thread closing, it WAS getting way off topic and two known trolls WERE starting problems. if it's back on track, then great. I hope I cleared this up for you Aubrielle, I'm on the same page you are, so oblique insults are not necesary. Thanks.

yeah so we're clear I'm neither homophobic nor a jock. I my opinions has always been in the positive concerning the topic at hand. Thanks.

But...I wasn't talking about you....

Allthat4Nothing indeed. ;-)

But...I wasn't talking about you....

so when you say "who are trying to get the thread closed" you weren't referencing comments I made earlier?

Status
Not open for further replies.