• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Pseudointellect

Private
108 Badges
Jul 5, 2007
  • Pillars of Eternity
  • Victoria 2: A House Divided
  • Victoria 2: Heart of Darkness
  • Warlock: Master of the Arcane
  • War of the Roses
  • 500k Club
  • Cities: Skylines
  • Cities: Skylines Deluxe Edition
  • Crusader Kings II: Holy Knight (pre-order)
  • Europa Universalis IV: El Dorado
  • Europa Universalis IV: Pre-order
  • Pride of Nations
  • Crusader Kings II: Way of Life
  • Victoria 2
  • Europa Universalis IV: Common Sense
  • Crusader Kings II: Horse Lords
  • Cities: Skylines - After Dark
  • Knights of Pen and Paper 2
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cossacks
  • Crusader Kings II: Conclave
  • Cities: Skylines - Snowfall
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mare Nostrum
  • Stellaris
  • Stellaris: Galaxy Edition
  • Stellaris: Galaxy Edition
  • Stellaris: Necroids
  • Europa Universalis IV: Art of War
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Crusader Kings II: Charlemagne
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Crusader Kings II: Rajas of India
  • Crusader Kings II: The Republic
  • Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
  • Crusader Kings II: Sunset Invasion
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
  • Dungeonland
  • Europa Universalis III
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Cities in Motion 2
  • Europa Universalis IV: Conquest of Paradise
  • Europa Universalis IV: Wealth of Nations
  • Europa Universalis IV: Call to arms event
  • Hearts of Iron III
  • Knights of Pen and Paper +1 Edition
  • Leviathan: Warships
  • Magicka
  • Europa Universalis IV: Res Publica
  • Starvoid
  • Teleglitch: Die More Edition
2012-02-20_00001.jpg

Hahaha, how'd that happen?

Judging from the DI MODENA dynasty shield in the top right I would say that he somehow was married or otherwise accepted into an Italian court and inherited Muslim holdings after somehow securing the papal position due to his high ecclesiastical trait?

If that or something similar is what happened the chances are ASTRONOMICAL... :)!

Surely being Muslim should prohibit him from taking the position though, right?

EDIT: Wait what!? He has no family either? Did you mod this in?

This is actually right, read the requirments to become pope, there stand nothing that you have to be a christ.

If i remember right, "by the decree of God and of His Church, by the testimony of nearly all the clergy, by the college of aged bishops (sacerdotum), and of good men." means only, that in the conclave you can become pope, when you get 2/3 of the voter behind you. Important fact, the rule that the person has to be a Cardinals can be overwriten by the decree of God.

So if you are the son of god and sunni, god himself will give the cardinals the hint and they will vote the son of god. Pope is actually the only position in holy catholic church, where gender, religion, historical background and so on can be overwriten by the voting rules.

I also had a Sunni Pope after the Emirate of Africa conquered Rome. It got even more ridiculous after I created an antipope, declared war on the Sunni pope, and replaced him.

A few years later, I check the religion tab, and see another new Anti-pope: The Marshal of The Most Serene Republic of Venice, Caliph of the Sunni Caliphate. What. Suffice it to say, I just assassinated him to be done with the trouble.

Also, why is he naked?

My guess is that the "darkie" character graphics set doesn't include any Papal vestments since nobody at Paradox thought that a darkie could become pope anyway. Which, by the way, something should be done about. There are Catholic Arabs in (among other places) Lebanon, who are (at least theoretically) eligible for the Papacy.

I think I have to agree with earlier statements and it's most likely cause it's not an requirement for the pope to be catholic.

But yeah, I've seen similiar events described here, of course I gathered 35k crusaders and stomped them back to africa.

I think I have to agree with earlier statements and it's most likely cause it's not an requirement for the pope to be catholic.

There is most certainly such a requirement, but there appears to be some way of slipping past it.

There was definitely no modding involved, it was in a very long game that began as William the Bastard. I am not quite sure what caused it but it had something to do with the Byzantine Empire taking over Italy, and I'm afraid I no longer have the save game. :/ If there is a way to recover deleted saves I can share it though.

I have seen plenty of Muslim popes in CKI, but haven't played enough CKII to see them yet. I'm "glad" to hear that they returned in the sequel. :)