• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
My guess is that the "darkie" character graphics set doesn't include any Papal vestments since nobody at Paradox thought that a darkie could become pope anyway. Which, by the way, something should be done about. There are Catholic Arabs in (among other places) Lebanon, who are (at least theoretically) eligible for the Papacy.

Yeah, this has kinda pissed me off. In a game as Toulose where I became the Kingdom of Aragon, I conquered several Arab and Muslim provinces. After converting the provinces to Ctaholicism, I had several very high Learning Arab courtiers and would make them bishops and court chaplain, they were always naked. This only happens with "brown" people as even in my current game as Duke of Orkney, I have members of my dynasty descended from an Ethiopian Princess, and despite being Christian, they still turn naked if you give them an ecclesiastical role.

I've had this in the early preview version, but things were quite buggy in general in tha version. Didn't think it would happen again! Most shocking thing that happened to the Pope in my games is his losing Rome. But that's not entirely unrealistic!

My guess is that the "darkie" character graphics set doesn't include any Papal vestments since nobody at Paradox thought that a darkie could become pope anyway. Which, by the way, something should be done about. There are Catholic Arabs in (among other places) Lebanon, who are (at least theoretically) eligible for the Papacy.

This is correct, unfortunately. I have several Maghreb bishops in my realm and they all seem to think they are still roaming in the Garden of Eden.

It also doesn't seem to take traits into great account. I've had a lunatic pope and a syphilitic pope elected, both of which struck me as decidedly strange.

This only happens with "brown" people as even in my current game as Duke of Orkney, I have members of my dynasty descended from an Ethiopian Princess, and despite being Christian, they still turn naked if you give them an ecclesiastical role.

Clearly, they are revealing their whole selves to God in order to bask in his holyness. ;)

There is most certainly such a requirement, but there appears to be some way of slipping past it.
Huh, okey :)

Maybe it has something to do with the conquest of rome and the creation of the papal title? Im not really a modder or ever tried my hands at it but is the papal title considered a king title?

"by the decree of God and of His Church, by the testimony of nearly all the clergy, by the college of aged bishops (sacerdotum), and of good men."

I posted it earlier, there is no need that you have to be male or chatolic, to become the pope. The main position during the voting concil is, if "god" give the voter the feeling / the aura. they can actually make everybody to the pope. Normally, a direct calling from god happens only one time by his son, but never again after this. But it is still possible and a way everybody can become pope.

God stands far behind mankind created relegion.

You know when you have 30 or so cardinals held at scimitar point, they'll elect whomever you tell them too

Actually; I think I figured out how this might have happened.

Step 1: Do some unknown set of actions
Step 2: That unknown set of actions concludes with the Pope becoming the vassal of another (either a King or Emperor), because the Pope is technically a special type of Duke.
Step 3: Have this subject-Pope think that, due to extremely low relations with his liege, it is a good idea to either press the "Convert to religion of liege lord" or "Convert to culture of liege lord"
Step 4: Have the subject-Pope activate the decision not chosen in Step 2 here some time later
Step 5: Due to Steps 3 and 4, and the effects of the decisions enacted in either or both steps, the Pope is no longer European and/or Catholic
Step 6: Hilarity and head-scratching ensues.

Now, exactly what you have to do in Step 1, I'm not entirely sure...but whatever happened there it seems pretty obvious that the Pope enacted Steps 3 and 4, pressing the appropriate "wrong culture/religion" decisions at some point.

Stupid pope always forget to declare crusades on the Muslims just at his doorstep in Naples, but instead declares crusades on Beirut... The pope should be a _little_ smarter. Game wise he is probably too much of a game mechanic and not thinking about his own survival as an AI.