+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: "Has anyone noticed anything, uh, strange about the Pope?"

Cities in MotionCrusader Kings IIEU3 CompleteDivine WindHeir to the Throne
    Sword of the StarsVictoria 2Victoria II: A House DividedVictoria II: Heart of DarknessMount & Blade: Warband
    Mount & Blade: With Fire and SwordCK2: Holy Knight500k clubEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-orderEUIV: Call to arms event

Quote Originally Posted by jossief View Post
    I can't think of a better reason to have the anti-pope functionality.
    But by which law can someone be the head of a religion he doesn't believe in?
    If you want to always be right,
    you need to always be prepared to change your mind.

If he claims to be the Pope, and no one disagrees with him, then I suppose he is the Pope.

Resident Revolutionary blindgoose's Avatar
    Crusader Kings IIEU3 CompleteDivine WindHeir to the ThroneEuropa Universalis: Rome
    Victoria 2Rome: Vae VictisMount & Blade: WarbandMount & Blade: With Fire and Sword

Quote Originally Posted by KonradRichtmark View Post
    My guess is that the "darkie" character graphics set doesn't include any Papal vestments since nobody at Paradox thought that a darkie could become pope anyway. Which, by the way, something should be done about. There are Catholic Arabs in (among other places) Lebanon, who are (at least theoretically) eligible for the Papacy.
    Yeah, this has kinda pissed me off. In a game as Toulose where I became the Kingdom of Aragon, I conquered several Arab and Muslim provinces. After converting the provinces to Ctaholicism, I had several very high Learning Arab courtiers and would make them bishops and court chaplain, they were always naked. This only happens with "brown" people as even in my current game as Duke of Orkney, I have members of my dynasty descended from an Ethiopian Princess, and despite being Christian, they still turn naked if you give them an ecclesiastical role.

Quote Originally Posted by DuddBudda View Post
    and in the game?
    i did appreciate the sarcasm

I've had this in the early preview version, but things were quite buggy in general in tha version. Didn't think it would happen again! Most shocking thing that happened to the Pope in my games is his losing Rome. But that's not entirely unrealistic!
    I lay awake, and strap myself to the bed.
    Put a bulletproof vest on, and shoot myself in the head.

What about interrealm alliances?

Check out the Lotharingia and Lowland mod for CK2!

Keeping the ship on course Kazmir's Avatar
    200k clubHoI AnthologyCrusader Kings IIDeus VultEuropa Universalis 3
    Europa Universalis III: In NomineEU3 Napoleon's AmbitionVictoria: RevolutionsVictoria 2Mount & Blade: Warband
    CK2: Holy Knight500k clubEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-order

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by KonradRichtmark View Post
    My guess is that the "darkie" character graphics set doesn't include any Papal vestments since nobody at Paradox thought that a darkie could become pope anyway. Which, by the way, something should be done about. There are Catholic Arabs in (among other places) Lebanon, who are (at least theoretically) eligible for the Papacy.
    This is correct, unfortunately. I have several Maghreb bishops in my realm and they all seem to think they are still roaming in the Garden of Eden.

Crusader Kings IIDeus VultMarch of the EaglesSengokuCK2: Holy Knight
    500k clubEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-order

It also doesn't seem to take traits into great account. I've had a lunatic pope and a syphilitic pope elected, both of which struck me as decidedly strange.
    List of My AARs:
    Gesta Capetingorum - Updated upon the nineteenth day of May, the year of our Lord and Savior 2014

It sounds like Vatican is working on liberalizing things a bit. A nudist Muslim Pope is a great first step.

Quote Originally Posted by Andrzej I View Post
    It also doesn't seem to take traits into great account. I've had a lunatic pope and a syphilitic pope elected, both of which struck me as decidedly strange.
    Without trying to be snarky, that doesn't sound strange to me at all.

Defensor Fidei et Ecclesiae Hawkeye1489's Avatar
    200k clubCrusader Kings IIDeus VultDiplomacyEuropa Universalis 3
    Europa Universalis: RomeVictoria 2Rome: Vae VictisCK2: Holy Knight500k club

That's okay, in my current game, the Pope has the impaler trait...
    Resident Theologian & Catholic Apologist

Nothing remarkable at all, I've had lunatic, posessed, and incapable Pope once.

Crusader Kings IIDarkest HourEU3 CompleteDivine WindHeir to the Throne
    Victoria 2Victoria II: A House Divided

Quote Originally Posted by blindgoose View Post
    This only happens with "brown" people as even in my current game as Duke of Orkney, I have members of my dynasty descended from an Ethiopian Princess, and despite being Christian, they still turn naked if you give them an ecclesiastical role.
    Clearly, they are revealing their whole selves to God in order to bask in his holyness.
    A rebel without a cause.

A Game of DwarvesCrusader Kings IIDeus VultEast India CompanyDivine Wind
    Hearts of Iron IIIHeir to the ThroneEuropa Universalis III: In NomineMagickaEU3 Napoleon's Ambition
    Victoria: RevolutionsEuropa Universalis: RomeSengokuSword of the StarsSupreme Ruler 2020
    Victoria 2Victoria II: A House DividedVictoria II: Heart of DarknessMount & Blade: WarbandWarlock: Master of the Arcane
    CK2: Holy KnightEU Rome Collectors EditionEU3 Collectors Edition500k clubEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-order
    EUIV: Wealth of NationsEUIV: Conquest of Paradise

Quote Originally Posted by Doomdark View Post
    There is most certainly such a requirement, but there appears to be some way of slipping past it.
    Huh, okey

Maybe it has something to do with the conquest of rome and the creation of the papal title? Im not really a modder or ever tried my hands at it but is the papal title considered a king title?
    “It's now very common to hear people say, 'I'm rather offended by that.' As if that gives them certain rights. It's actually nothing more... than a whine. 'I find that offensive.' It has no meaning; it has no purpose; it has no reason to be respected as a phrase. 'I am offended by that.' Well, so what.” - Stephen Fry.

"by the decree of God and of His Church, by the testimony of nearly all the clergy, by the college of aged bishops (sacerdotum), and of good men."

I posted it earlier, there is no need that you have to be male or chatolic, to become the pope. The main position during the voting concil is, if "god" give the voter the feeling / the aura. they can actually make everybody to the pope. Normally, a direct calling from god happens only one time by his son, but never again after this. But it is still possible and a way everybody can become pope.

God stands far behind mankind created relegion.

Arsenal of DemocracyCrusader Kings IIDarkest HourEuropa Universalis 3Hearts of Iron III Collection
    Iron CrossSword of the Stars500k clubEuropa Universalis IV

You know when you have 30 or so cardinals held at scimitar point, they'll elect whomever you tell them too
    It is forbidden to kill; therefore all murderers are punished unless they kill in large numbers and to the sound of trumpets. -Voltaire

If you can't get them to salute when they should salute and wear the clothes you tell them to wear, how are you going to get them to die for their country?
    - General George Patton Jr

Crusader Kings IICommander: Conquest of the AmericasDarkest HourEU3 CompleteDivine Wind
    For the MotherlandHearts of Iron IIIHOI3: Their Finest HourHeir to the ThroneMarch of the Eagles
    Naval War: Arctic CircleSengokuSword of the Stars IISupreme Ruler: Cold WarVictoria 2
    Victoria II: A House DividedVictoria II: Heart of DarknessMount & Blade: WarbandCK2: Holy Knight500k club
    Europa Universalis IV

Actually; I think I figured out how this might have happened.

Step 1: Do some unknown set of actions
    Step 2: That unknown set of actions concludes with the Pope becoming the vassal of another (either a King or Emperor), because the Pope is technically a special type of Duke.
    Step 3: Have this subject-Pope think that, due to extremely low relations with his liege, it is a good idea to either press the "Convert to religion of liege lord" or "Convert to culture of liege lord"
    Step 4: Have the subject-Pope activate the decision not chosen in Step 2 here some time later
    Step 5: Due to Steps 3 and 4, and the effects of the decisions enacted in either or both steps, the Pope is no longer European and/or Catholic
    Step 6: Hilarity and head-scratching ensues.

Now, exactly what you have to do in Step 1, I'm not entirely sure...but whatever happened there it seems pretty obvious that the Pope enacted Steps 3 and 4, pressing the appropriate "wrong culture/religion" decisions at some point.

Crusader Kings IIEuropa Universalis 3Divine WindHeir to the ThroneEuropa Universalis III: In Nomine
    Victoria: RevolutionsVictoria 2500k clubEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-order

Stupid pope always forget to declare crusades on the Muslims just at his doorstep in Naples, but instead declares crusades on Beirut... The pope should be a _little_ smarter. Game wise he is probably too much of a game mechanic and not thinking about his own survival as an AI.

Crusader Kings IIDarkest HourEU3 CompleteDivine WindHeir to the Throne
    Rome GoldSengokuVictoria 2Victoria II: A House DividedEU3 Collectors Edition
    500k club

That sounds like the Renaissance Popes to me.
    general Otto Metzler in a Federation of Equals

Maximilien Bellamy in "Edge of Europe"

Ok... Several Popes were Syrians or N. Africans but this guy in the pic has the wrong religion and is in the wrong timeframe...

A Game of DwarvesHearts of Iron 2: ArmageddonCities in MotionCities in Motion 2Crusader Kings II
    Darkest HourDeus VultEuropa Universalis 3Divine WindFor The Glory
    For the MotherlandHearts of Iron III CollectionHOI3: Their Finest HourHeir to the ThroneEuropa Universalis III: In Nomine
    March of the EaglesEU3 Napoleon's AmbitionVictoria: RevolutionsRome GoldSemper Fi
    Victoria 2Victoria II: A House DividedVictoria II: Heart of DarknessRome: Vae VictisCK2: Holy Knight
    500k clubEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-order

Well sort of makes the phrase "Is the Pope Catholic?" somewhat redundant

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast