• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
I am having a rather interesting game. I decided that the Democrats are just too hard to try and keep in power, and I am thinking I would rather ensure they are in power in 1940...so I picked every neutrality event etc. that hurt them, and put the Republicans in. With them in power, I do the same thing, thinking that by 1940, they will be hated and the Democrats will be in power.

So..with my neutrality falling, and ignoring production (mostly) as I fight my ever present dissent....I get to 1938.

Dissent is gone, my IC's are very high....so I plop down 6 cv's and 3 marine divisions.

Three months later, in the summer of '37. I get the Panay Incident. Gain some stuff from Japan, or declare war on them with a -75% dissent hit. I choose war. Since Japan is a member of the Axis alliance, I am now at war with Japan and Germany....in summer of 1937.

It is now spring 1938, and Germany has taken out Yugoslavia. After ignoring the calls to join the alliance (so as not to have the Germans crushed early), Britian and France have managed (or Germany declared) war against each other, so I join the alliance. Italy follows as well.

I am hoping that the Germans managed to build up enough stuff so that they dont fall apart to the French...and that the Russians stay out of it as well, so that this could be a fun game...

Still having a great game..

It is July 1942 and the balance of power in the Pacific has just shifted after the Battle of Shinji Ridge(only a month after the real turning point, Midway) from july 5-9th where the Fast Carrier Taskforce went to intercept what I thought was a minor Japanese Taskforce supporting the invasion of Iwo Jima. As it turned out it was a deathstack of 45 ships, among them 10 carriers. I sent everything that floated and in range into the battle and ended up sinking the entire fleet. So with this newfound naval superiority I can finally invade Truk which is an incredibly tough nut to crack. My marines had an attack efficiency of 1.7% because of that horrid fort. But with all the Carrier groups attacking and all the battleships bombarding I must win.

My Indian Expeditionary Force is establishing a defensive line east of Calcutta. I decided to call off the invasion of Sicily and redeploy the army corps instead to India as the idiotic British AI has nothing but HQ divisions in India. Then it refuses to accept my expeditionary force.

Still having a great game..

It is July 1942 and the balance of power in the Pacific has just shifted after the Battle of Shinji Ridge(only a month after the real turning point, Midway) from july 5-9th where the Fast Carrier Taskforce went to intercept what I thought was a minor Japanese Taskforce supporting the invasion of Iwo Jima. As it turned out it was a deathstack of 45 ships, among them 10 carriers. I sent everything that floated and in range into the battle and ended up sinking the entire fleet. So with this newfound naval superiority I can finally invade Truk which is an incredibly tough nut to crack. My marines had an attack efficiency of 1.7% because of that horrid fort. But with all the Carrier groups attacking and all the battleships bombarding I must win.

My Indian Expeditionary Force is establishing a defensive line east of Calcutta. I decided to call off the invasion of Sicily and redeploy the army corps instead to India as the idiotic British AI has nothing but HQ divisions in India. Then it refuses to accept my expeditionary force. QUOTE]

Yeah, that's the nonsense I hate as having the Allies that the AI controls so I normally bite the bullet and don't make/accept Allies and also control everything myself. Having said this, it sounds like you're having one hell'va game! :):)

Rick

It worked if ran as administrator, but after I patched, it gave me 35 errors and has been unplayable since then. Need help getting it running again if anyone has suggestions.

It worked if ran as administrator, but after I patched, it gave me 35 errors and has been unplayable since then. Need help getting it running again if anyone has suggestions.

make a complete clean reinstall and be careful when you patch the game. you are using vista/7 which requires a little bit knowledge before you use it. in your case it might be best to install the game into a non UAC protected directory like c:/games/

Yea

Thats what I did clean reinstall, still can't get past the stars and stripes screen. When I click on it, the comp goes to a black screen and forces restart. I have tried this with both old and new graphics drivers.

On the rare occasions when I can load a saved game, all of my production queues and units are gone.

Thats what I did clean reinstall, still can't get past the stars and stripes screen. When I click on it, the comp goes to a black screen and forces restart. I have tried this with both old and new graphics drivers.

On the rare occasions when I can load a saved game, all of my production queues and units are gone.

do you have the right checksum for both versions?

Tryed an other game after the patch and gave all Axis the horrific bonus, but once again Japan is useless. It's Junce 1938, and Manchuco has been almost compeltly eaten by shanxi and Nat China....
No need to continue that game XD

Comments on the game:
Settings: Normal/Normal. Boost given to Japan only, Lend lease to USSR and GB
  • Japan was costly to invade (especially MP wise, I was down to 250 in the last months of the war) and took 8 months to finish off (nov 43 - june 44), I did Operation Olympus myself and then let the AI take over the middle of the campaign until I took over for the last month for the push on Tokyo
  • Japan was agressive in SE Asia, invaded Philippines, New Guinea, Solomons, Burma, India, Borneo, Malay Peninsula.
  • In the early stages Japan was actually quite effective navally, until she gathered her fleet in a doomstack and was defeated. If she had won that battle it would have had free reign in the Pacific for a year
  • Germany (without boost) almost won Barbarossa but got bogged down east of Moskva in 43 and did not make any headway after that
  • Italy took a while to break down, 5-6 months (on AI control) but after Italy capitulated my 25 division Army blitzed to Berlin and ended the war in august of 44
  • Britain was extremely useless. I gave it Rome (and a port) as objective and they did not send me a single division. Even after the landing in Sicily. They left India undefended and only when the war was already won there they sent some infantry divisions to take undefended provinces. They were more effective with their navy though, sank quite a bit.

I actually used a gamey tactic to defeat the mainland army of Japan, used 3 sets of Marine Corps to invade the big ports on the way then log bombed the land route from Quingdao (their supply port after Haikodo and Rangoon had been taken) to bits and mopped up the rest of the army with Marines, Infantry and Cavalry. That Indian campaign took forever though as my mechanized divisions are not suited for jungle warfare. Last pocket in India was defeated 10 months after the start of my offensive in India. In some wile Himalayan province with arctic weather.

Biggest issue: the German collapse after Italy. I do not know how this is to be done modding wise but she could have stopped my armored formations cold in the Alps if there would have been any divisions around. First one I saw were Militia and Garrison formations defending Munich.

Great DLC...Has anyone played and won the operation Overlord battlescenario?..i think the Germans are way too strong...and the US forces are ...few...hmmm
I tried but the offensive got stalled. I was delighted to see that the British AI does a landing as well but in the end it was not enough
to turn the situation around. I think I still don't know how to use all these strategic bombers effectively.
Probably I should do logistical strikes on the German supply lines.

in FTM (and some of the mods) i don't believe the UK builds any radar which makes
it really hard to stage invasions from the UK. I always start as the UK (will be ok
if you don't start the clock) and build 10 radars in Dover and 20 or so convoys. I
then save and load and start as the US.

In a new game in Feb 1942. Japan declared war in Nov 41. Germany did not declare
war on me. I saved and looked at Japan. Marco Polo did not fire. Day of Infamy did
not fire. Japan has just 2 large carriers (Akagi/Kaga) and a couple of small ones. only
building one DD with plenty of excess ICs.. not researching anything with plenty of research.
Still very primitive aircraft, naval, and ground troops. My old "Battleship row" Pacific Fleet
smacks them around whenever we meet. I am destroying their convoys and they are not
building any new ones. Only one invasion (Guam) and they abandoned it right after so its
unoccupied.

When I saw JAP AI incompetence I was like "We meet again, HoI release version".

I gave the Axis AI enormous bonuses both from in-game event and by modifying difficulty. +100% naval base eff. for AI is not enough incentive for JAP AI to invade Shanghai by defeating one garrison which is guarding it. And yes, this is just one issue among many other.

Flavour is fine, units are nice, tech improvements are good, art is beautiful but... gameplay sucks at least for now (1.1), especially compared to most mods which are free.

Was ICE development halted for the sake of this? :huh:

Last edited:
was a little disapointed when i loaded up as the UK and the ai for the americans choose the allies buff and britain was given insane ic lol . wanted to see how the game played out as britain getting lend lease units =p . experimenting with the game is kinda ruined with that buff system being able to be choosen if the americans are left to the AI =p