• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
keeps you busy awhile tho redoing the US infantry and NG divisions to bring them
into the 20th century tho! LOL!

Well, in my game the japanese island Truk had built up a lvl 15 coastal fort and lvl 15 AA guns. Gotta tell ya that coastal fort was impervious to amphibious assault, it gave a -137% combat penalty. I managed to take it with paratroopers and a bombing campaign that probably should have sunk the island. I doubt that the AI is meant to be allowed to have lvl 15 installations, since the max you can build on your own is 10.

It probaly has to do with the + fort level decision, maybe that needs to be edited, because out of my head it gives +5 coastal fort, which means that if the fort is already level 10 it will make it 15, and almost impossible to kill.

Yes it's a bug on my end, I forgot to add a proper check when firing the decision. It will be fixed in the next patch. :)

What am I not doing that japan fails to trigger pearl harbor event ever.

I've gone through 5 times now, mostly historic, at least once completely historic picks.
Never do I get the Japanese to trigger my day of infamy event.
I have FDR, and the democrats, usually mostly done with special new deal projects.
Each time i have focused on withdrawing all my garrisons and national guards for rebuild.
Then replacing them on the islands, along with a fleet at pearl naval base.
As for the new deal events, I've focused everything else on buying each decision as quickly as possible.
I get DOW from Japan at some point but never Day of infamy.

In most of my games, Japan cannot figure out how to beat china at all, in fact, they often either only get shanxi, or start to lose parts of manchukuo. Twice they managed to defeat China, with a third time coming close (they had nanjing surrounded, and kept getting into neighboring provinces, but were eventually pushed back). This is 10 play throughs to 1940, all with very hard bonuses to all of axis, and japan always joins the axis. The main differences that I notice between the attempts that Japan does well and when Japan fails miserably are naval invasions. The naval invasions seem to thin out the line enough in shanxi for the japanese troops to make progress, and the naval invasions tend to do very well in land gains too. I would recommend giving the japanese AI a scripted naval invasion, if thats possible.

Maybe it could partly be solved by reducing most divisions to militia.

Reducing the tech levels for infantry to the lowest possible and the doctrines to the most basic from the start. Also it would be an idea to give them a very low officer ratio from the start.. 30% or so. That combined with the low leadership levels (China wasnt a very well functioning state back then, so low leadership is not unrealistic) should make their army big but fragile..

My experience has been the opposite, concerning China. In several games with the Axis bonus enabled Japan has originally stalled out at the Shanxi border only to start slowly, methodically grinding its way forward as the bonus starts to take effect and the numbers of Japanese troops steadily increases faster than Nat China can pump out Militia.

I'll also echo that I'm seeing the British get consistently destroyed in Africa even when both they and the Italians have the buff.

Also, a question, were the CAG mechanics changed in any way in the mod? I've noticed that it feels like CAGs are doing less damage than they should be. For example in a recent game Nimitz, in command of a 4CV, 4CL fleet (8 CAGS) all teched AND upgraded to 1943 standards caught a lone Japanese TP on the open ocean in broad daylight, in good weather and only managed to deorg it in several rounds of combat. Follow up attacks across 2 additional sea zones only inflicted minor damage.

Lastly a question about some of the research practicals at the beginning of the 36 campaign. I'm wondering if its appropriate for the US to have totally cold practicals in both the Fleet in Being and Sealane interdiction categories? It certainly makes it a leadership costly issue to research the historical Iowa class battleships or the later submarine techs. I'm not saying that it should be a huge number just a few points to encourage something other than a homogenous CV navy.

Last edited:
My experience has been the opposite, concerning China. In several games with the Axis bonus enabled Japan has originally stalled out at the Shanxi border only to start slowly, methodically grinding its way forward as the bonus starts to take effect and the numbers of Japanese troops steadily increases faster than Nat China can pump out Militia.

I'll also echo that I'm seeing the British get consistently destroyed in Africa even when both they and the Italians have the buff.

Also, a question, were the CAG mechanics changed in any way in the mod? I've noticed that it feels like CAGs are doing less damage than they should be. For example in a recent game Nimitz, in command of a 4CV, 4CL fleet (8 CAGS) all teched AND upgraded to 1943 standards caught a lone Japanese TP on the open ocean in broad daylight, in good weather and only managed to deorg it in several rounds of combat. Follow up attacks across 2 additional sea zones only inflicted minor damage.

Lastly a question about some of the research practicals at the beginning of the 36 campaign. I'm wondering if its appropriate for the US to have totally cold practicals in both the Fleet in Being and Sealane interdiction categories? It certainly makes it a leadership costly issue to research the historical Iowa class battleships or the later submarine techs. I'm not saying that it should be a huge number just a few points to encourage something other than a homogenous CV navy.

I'm also noticing a bit of inadequacy in the U.S. CAGs. Numerous attacks by up to 14 CAGs in succession were unable to destroy anything other than 2 destroyers in a Japanese fleet that included 2 carriers caught in port at Saipan. These attacks were helped by INTs based at Guam and still little to no real damage.

strange

I am wondering what hernias have to do with this thread were they caused by a heavy keyboard

you can cheat a bit to get the Chinese to a more managable size. Save Japan, load as
China and simply disband a number of their divisions to a point you think is fair then save
and reload as Japan again. Might have some minor changes and movement of forces
but I don't think Japan will launch any Central/South Pacific invasions if tied up to much
in China.

I dont think the carriers have been nerfed a lot. attached is the aftermath of a big fleet battle vs Japan on normal with Japan buffed.

My forces were 3 carrier task forces, 9 CV's and 9 CL and my battlewagons, 3BB + 3DD. Met a navy of all ship types of 45 and the result was a Midway

There really needs to be a type of organizational setup like corps/armies for naval units.
squadrons/flotillas within the army (fleet) organized around carriers and BBs rather than
these huge monster fleets fighting it out. It just does not work. Naval needs a big
overhaul in HOI3

I dont think the carriers have been nerfed a lot. attached is the aftermath of a big fleet battle vs Japan on normal with Japan buffed.

My forces were 3 carrier task forces, 9 CV's and 9 CL and my battlewagons, 3BB + 3DD. Met a navy of all ship types of 45 and the result was a Midway
. Was this a CAG to surface engagement or did it involve surface to surface also?