• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
No news on the patch? I don't really want to start a new game when a patch is inbound...

Paradox is on vacation till middle of July sometime according to PI posts. 3.06 is on hold till they come back, figure out how they are going to address all the reported bugs, and then test it more. Unfortunately I wouldn't look for an official release until August at this point. And yes, I can't wait either to play Stars and Stripes with a working 3.06!!!

Has anyone been able to send Lend Lease to the axis? In the diaries it says you should be able to send to the axis but its '42 and I still havnt been able to send to them, and when I fire the event manually it just says to send to allies or allies&SOV. Any ideas?

What do you think of this:
1- US can enact Day of Infamy decision as soon as they are at war with Japan, no matter who the attacker is.
2- US can enact a 1000MP boost decision as soon as they are at war.

Initially I made all those checks in order to avoid situations like "I am USA, I am the attacker and I have the 1000 manpower boost". But the more I think about it the more I am convinced that US citizen would massively enlist as soon as the country is in danger. So maybe the 1000MP boost should be a separated decision whenever USA are at war.

What is your position, US players?

I don't think that the US deciding to enter the war, as opposed to being forced into it by being attacked, would ever generate the enthusiasm represented by the bonuses. In spite of all the propaganda put out by the Roosevelt administration, and work by the Communist operatives after Germany invaded the Soviet Union, isolationism was still very strong in the US. The US starting a war would not heal all the divisions, and would probably have cemented a portion of the country permanently against the war.

Just a personal illustration from the war's start - when my uncles went to enlist after Pearl Harbor, my grandmother made them promise that they would fight against the Japanese, not in Europe in "England's war." Don't know how she could have enforced that, but they did end up serving in India, flying into China (one was killed while piloting a P-38.)

What do you think of this:
1- US can enact Day of Infamy decision as soon as they are at war with Japan, no matter who the attacker is.
2- US can enact a 1000MP boost decision as soon as they are at war.

Initially I made all those checks in order to avoid situations like "I am USA, I am the attacker and I have the 1000 manpower boost". But the more I think about it the more I am convinced that US citizen would massively enlist as soon as the country is in danger. So maybe the 1000MP boost should be a separated decision whenever USA are at war.

What is your position, US players?

I would only give the 1000mp boost if the USA was attacked, not if the USA was the one who declared war. Remember, even after Pearl Harbor Roosevelt still didn't think he had the votes to ask for a declaration of war on Germany at the same time as Japan. There still was a large percentage of the populace that was all for letting Europe rot while we took care of Japan. It was the outrage of a "sneak" attack that inflamed public opinion, and then Hitler's stupidity in declaring war that allowed the USA to commit to global war. I would suggest either a small boost of 250 if the USA initiates war vs the Axis, with perhaps another boost of 250 a year or two into war.

1936 Presidential Election

I am curious as to why, if the Republicans win the White House in 1936, Doug MacArthur becomes president. Alf Landon was the Republican nominee. Particularly then, when party bosses controlled most of the delegates, it's hard to imagine them nominating an active duty general (he would have had to retire / resign his commission - the game keeps him in the military.) Then, if the republicans are re-elected in 1940, the president changes to Willkie. Why the change in leader?

It's very unlikely Willkie would have been the nominee if Roosevelt hadn't still been president. Probably Taft or Dewey - but this isn't a game mainly about US politics, so o-k.

Longer term economic effects

There are some decisions (US Housing Authority is one, there are others) where there's a big dissent hit if they don't pass. I think it would be more interesting if the choice of passing them included a long term cost. In the example of the housing bill, not passing this popular measure would generate a big dissent hit, as it does now. But passing it should create a long term additional demand for services, which could be represented by a small permanent increase in consumer goods required. This would give more to consider in deciding on these measures.

Don't know if this was WAD, but I was right into June 1942, at war with Japan, yet day of infamy speech didn't fire, I got no invite to allies and Germany never DOWed.

First time running the mod so I'm not sure what is WAD and what's not.

Cheers!

Don't know if this was WAD, but I was right into June 1942, at war with Japan, yet day of infamy speech didn't fire, I got no invite to allies and Germany never DOWed.

First time running the mod so I'm not sure what is WAD and what's not.

Cheers!

No war with Germany after Pearl Harbor

I would only give the 1000mp boost if the USA was attacked, not if the USA was the one who declared war. Remember, even after Pearl Harbor Roosevelt still didn't think he had the votes to ask for a declaration of war on Germany at the same time as Japan. There still was a large percentage of the populace that was all for letting Europe rot while we took care of Japan. It was the outrage of a "sneak" attack that inflamed public opinion, and then Hitler's stupidity in declaring war that allowed the USA to commit to global war. I would suggest either a small boost of 250 if the USA initiates war vs the Axis, with perhaps another boost of 250 a year or two into war.

I think your point about Roosevelt not being sure he could get a declaration of war on Germany opens the possibility of a different path that would be interesting to explore, also in DI:G.

There could be a chance event (decision in DI:G) that Germany doesn't declare war on the US after Pearl Harbor. Germany loses the tripatate pact effects, any trades ended, relation with other Axis members suffers. In return, the US cannot declare war on Germany for, say, 12 months (eventually they are going to get into it.) This buys extra time to go after the SU. The US might get penalized if they continue the Atlantic war (why fighting in the Atlantic when our enemies are in the Pacific.) AI builds for the US would more heavily go to navy. Maybe the US could push through a DOW anyway, but would take a political support hit and a NU hit that knocks them out of the total war economic option.

The biggest what-if about this scenario would be German diplomacy being something beyond "what is yours is ours - give it to us."

there should be an eventual trigger if Germany does not DOW the US when they start to sink
US convoys in the undeclared war. There would be a point like in WW1 where the US would
not hold back after a certain time and certainly some of the ships would be larger types with
higher casualties and even liners.

I have 3.05 and S&S and every time I start a Day of Infamy game in 1941, within a short period of time Japan forms a truce with Nationalist China.

Happens every time - after a minute or two of running at full speed.

Is this a known bug?

I did a re-install and have the right checksum.

Thanks.

Last edited:
Any kind of update or reply is long overdue - what is happening?

Suggest you ask that of Paradox, all modders are at the mercy of the PI developers. Devildread can not do much when PI hasn't released another version of the 3.06 beta since June 21st. Last post I saw was from Podcat on August 9th saying people were still on vacation and 3.06 was on the back burner.

Hey all -- apologies if this has already been discussed, I've gone back through 15 pages of the thread and haven't seen it but you never know :laugh:

Is there a recommended way to handle Germany in S&S so that it's neither overpowered nor underpowered? I've found in my games that if I give Germany the buff at the beginning, the Germans cut through Russia like a knife through warm butter, usually conquering them by sometime in 1942. But if I don't give them the buff, the Russians consistently stall them early, which means that by the time I have forces ready for a cross-Channel invasion the Russians have already stomped Germany flat.

Between buffs, Lend-Lease policies, etc., is there a way to set up the Germans and Russians so that they have a decent chance of fighting for a long enough time for me to have a chance to get into the war in Europe?