• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
the japanese CAGs are more effective? How so, do they actually sink alot of ships, just seem to never run out of ORG, or what?

Also, I did some experimenting yesterday and discovered that a possible reason why my CAGs only seem to hit once for every 4 hours might be they ran out of ORG. Full ORG CAGs do alright against in terms of damage output, but they still only work well when its clear and sunny.

Fun fact for this discussion: The number of carriers sunk from an air attack in open water is equal to the number of carriers sunk by submarines. Yet I have NEVER seen a submarine even hit a carrier in HOI3.

I don't know if these bug have already been reported, but here goes...

1. Shortly after exchanging military access with the UK I get a popup telling me that I have cancelled it. While the UK still has access to US bases I no longer have access to theirs. Requesting access anew is listed as "impossible"

2. Low res pics for CAGs and artillery on the build screen (and I think the light tanks though I don't recall exactly).

3. I had a crash yesterday in NOV of '41 just as I tried to save. I was in a limited war with JAP that they declared, a member of the Allies and at peace with GER. When I reloaded I was still allied with the UK, but had a truce with JAP. I will update this report if it happens again as I am upto May '41 in a new game.

edit: Just defeated JAP while losing not more than 5 or 6 cruisers and 1 transport. As far as I can see there is nothing wrong with CAG balance.

Last edited:
the japanese CAGs are more effective? How so, do they actually sink alot of ships, just seem to never run out of ORG, or what?

Also, I did some experimenting yesterday and discovered that a possible reason why my CAGs only seem to hit once for every 4 hours might be they ran out of ORG. Full ORG CAGs do alright against in terms of damage output, but they still only work well when its clear and sunny.

Fun fact for this discussion: The number of carriers sunk from an air attack in open water is equal to the number of carriers sunk by submarines. Yet I have NEVER seen a submarine even hit a carrier in HOI3.

The JAP CAGs are definitely sinking more ships. May be a result of many things, better org, better attack, US ships inferior AA. Not sure but they are definitely sending quite a few of my ships to ocean floor. My personal opinion is the the Japanese CAGs are working almost as they should, and I don't expect US CAGs to be on par with the JAP ones in 1941, but I do expect that a total of 18 or so CAGs along with several Multi-Role squadrons should be able to sink quite a few Japanese ships in a 15 day time span. I'm running a test using a tech that I created that should bring US CAGs naval strike capabilities up quite a bit. I'll report back soon.

I agree that especially when there are other engagements going on submarines should be able to do significant damage to surface ships. I'm sure that's for another mod or DLC as it would require significant work in balancing the game.

Devildread,

I hate to clog up the S&S report thread if this CAG difficulty that I am having is not a result of S&S. Could you please confirm if there is something in S&S that would drastically reduce US CAG effectiveness against Japanese naval forces? If not I create a new topic outside of your report thread.

And thanks again for all of your effort to improve HoI3.

Cheers,

I know my problem is not unique for DI:S&S, but I was hoping there was a good fix for it. Either I boost Japan and they take all of China in a year or I don't and they fail miserably with a stand still or losing everything. I know its hard to balance Japan and China right, but if you want to play a semi-historical game where Japan slowly takes over China, you can't. Also is there a fix for UK not building radar, Destroyers for bases is useless without UK having radar stations like they did historically. I know this mod is suppose to highlight USA, but its not fun if you can't play semi-historical if obvious faults are present. I know the radar should be able to be fixed if nothing else put a run of 10 radar stations in dover at least in the file for UK starting builds.

Maybe I mean Eagle Squadron also...can't kill airplanes that I can't see.

Last edited:
The UK does not build radars unfortunatly in any FTM inc the mods. I always
suggest nomatter who you play, for fair play balance, to start as the UK (but
DO NOT start the clock!) and build 10 radars in Dover as well as about 20
convoys, then save and restart as the US (or in other games whatever country
you have chosen). This will at least give the UK some eyes on the continent
and help them defend themselves and if your playing SaS when you put a US
Army in the UK when you join the war you can at least see whats happening
in France. MAJOR oversite for Paradox on the UK AI.

Hoping for some help. Have been playing a campaign game for about a month and just now realized that I am unable to make Gen. Marshall Chief of Staff. I am now up to Nov. of '41 but really took notice of this after the '40 election. Was wondering why this was the case. IRL Marshall took over the job in Sept. '39.

Also on a side note because of my interest I went to find the "Minister" file to view what was on going on with him but could not find the file. I assumed it would be under the "History" folder but was only able to find the "leader" file.

Once again just a newbie looking for some info, if anyone can help.

Thanks.

Maybe this has been mentioned, but I'm unable to attach my CAGs to newly built carriers. If I try to drag them in the tree the carriers are simply greyed out. Not sure if it's a bug really or if I'm just stupid. I don't play vanilla anymore, but I know it works there.

I have the correct checksum btw. Thanks in advance for any information

One thing I know about carrier CAG units. You can only group them upto the number for which CV or CVL they will go on. So if you have more then one carrier make sure you group then for each ship. So if you have 4 CVs and 2 CVLs in a fleet group them in 4 2s and 2 1s and load the 2s first so that the 1s don't load on a CV.

alternatively, you can leave them separated in groups of 1s. Remember, an air group doesn't need a leader, no leader is a perfect option for most CAGs. I do recommend at least one air leader per CTF though, otherwise you're missing out on the bonuses from a leader in all the air battles that CTF participates in.

you can 'fly' your CAGs onto carriers from airfields to the carrier or TF. simply click
on the CAG and give it the order of 'attach to carrier' and give the point of movement
the carrier or carrier TF.

hi guys,

i realize the AI are wasting away all the IC. Ger & Jap have 500+ IC put in production but they are not building anything at all. do you guys have the same prob as well?

my Jap ai is getting own in mainland. even with the axis buffed up, jap are still being pushed back to manchuria. ohya, i didnt give the buff to allies.

hi guys,

i realize the AI are wasting away all the IC. Ger & Jap have 500+ IC put in production but they are not building anything at all. do you guys have the same prob as well?

my Jap ai is getting own in mainland. even with the axis buffed up, jap are still being pushed back to manchuria. ohya, i didnt give the buff to allies.

AI is not adapted properly to make use of artificial bonuses it receives. yeah, it is common.

Great game , I didnt think playing the US could be as entertaining as it was , couple of problems I had , first of all I was starting from 1936 and avoided war until around November 1941 when Japan declared war on me , depite all my effort I was not able to join the Allies by 1943 , this was inspite of my using both diplomacy and intellegence to move the US towards war with Germany , the mechanics of the game worked well , I conquared Japan by Spring of 1943 , however Japan continued to remain at War with me even though it was defeated ( some kind of glitch going on there ) Also it seemed like Germany was too weak , I noticed that the Soviet Union had nearly defeated Germany by Spring of 43 and this was without any US assitance. If I could offer a suggestion , seems to me that the US had 3 opportunties to enter into war prior to the attack on Pearl Harbor , the last opportuntiy that is not aparently represented in the game is the sinking of the USS Reuban James which happened in October of 41 , I think it might be both more realistic and enjoyable if the player that chooses to wait it out for Pearl Harbor attack faces the very real possibility that such an attack could destroy a large portion of the US Pacific fleet , the game should incorporate some type of Pearl Harbor event that has certain economic and manpower advantages but will result in damadge to your Pacific fleet , the damadge would by random and could range anywhere from minor to devastating , oh and finally I ended the game around Summer of 43 , wasnt much of a point continuing .