• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I think it's set from the start the way it is to reflect geographical and population restrictions more than anything.

No. The purpose of the limited number of slots is to depict the fact that some provinces are inherently more economically valuable than others. Some place in the frozen north is just not ever going to be as developed as Byzantium.

I think it's set from the start the way it is to reflect geographical and population restrictions more than anything.

Sure, except the distribution does not take into potential development.

So while I can see a county in the north of Norway having only 1 or 2 holdings total, anything in Central, Western, Near Eastern Europe should not be restricted like this. Even more so the further south you go. Yet, what I am seeing is essentially the following:

Any highly developed county/city has 4 or more slots. Everything else arbitrarily has between 2 and 3. This game covers a period of 400ish years. There was a tremendous shift in the world during this period and it seems odd that this mechanic offers no flexibility to account for development.

Reactions:
Well I think it also reflexs the SIZE of the county and or population. It doesn't make much sense to throw up a ton of castles in some remote count, or even dukes land if its off the beaten path, not large enough, or bad land, clay for dirt, mountains. etc.

Sure, except the distribution does not take into potential development.

So while I can see a county in the north of Norway having only 1 or 2 holdings total, anything in Central, Western, Near Eastern Europe should not be restricted like this. Even more so the further south you go. Yet, what I am seeing is essentially the following:

Any highly developed county/city has 4 or more slots. Everything else arbitrarily has between 2 and 3. This game covers a period of 400ish years. There was a tremendous shift in the world during this period and it seems odd that this mechanic offers no flexibility to account for development.

Wait, are you suggesting that every province in Central, Western, Near Eastern Europe should all get maximum slot to account for development? IF yes, why only North of Norway get only 1-2 holding, why not all province in this game should get maximum holding? What will going to be difference between rich area and poor area in this game?

Since this is supposed to be a sandbox game where history gets re-written, I don't like it when economic development gets railroaded. Why can't Dublin become the next Venice etc?

Reactions:
Since this is supposed to be a sandbox game where history gets re-written, I don't like it when economic development gets railroaded. Why can't Dublin become the next Venice etc?
Because Venice is in an excellent spot to take advantage of Mediterranean trading opportunities and is blessed with good weather? Dublin gets 5 slots IIRC, which isn't so bad. Most places only get 3.

History is redeveloped not rewritten. You won't seen railroads or airplanes or nuclear weapons in Crusader Kings 2 (aside from Mods).

The population in Europe isn't all that fluid, and it is the Dark Ages for a reason.

History is redeveloped not rewritten. You won't seen railroads or airplanes or nuclear weapons in Crusader Kings 2 (aside from Mods).

The population in Europe isn't all that fluid, and it is the Dark Ages for a reason.

Well if the Golden Horde can turn Catholic and the Pope Sunni, Dublin becoming the next trading capital of Western Europe doesn't seem so far fetched. Brugges gets five-six slots anyway, and it's located on the backend of Europe. Dublin only gets four slots, the same as a mid-tier province.

Well if the Golden Horde can turn Catholic and the Pope Sunni, Dublin becoming the next trading capital of Western Europe doesn't seem so far fetched. Brugges gets five-six slots anyway, and it's located on the backend of Europe. Dublin only gets four slots, the same as a mid-tier province.

Kola or Finnmark become the next trading capital of Northen Europe doesn't seem so far fetched too! :rolleyes:

Kola or Finnmark become the next trading capital of Northen Europe doesn't seem so far fetched too! :rolleyes:

This game spans four centuries. You can convert half of Europe to Catharism in that time. And yet having a capital city like Dublin becoming a regional trade centre seems absurd to some people ???

This game spans four centuries. You can convert half of Europe to Catharism in that time. And yet having a capital city like Dublin becoming a regional trade centre seems absurd to some people ???

Opinions shift easier than geography or weather it seems..

So what's wrong with Kola and Finnmark becoming a regional trade centre? Why Kola and Finnmark don't deserve the same slot with Constantinople or Venice?

The point was that if your county is borderline arctic tundra, sure the potential for growth is pretty limited.

However, the rest of Europe is temperate, warm to hot summers and mild winters. It is resource rich. Limiting most counties in central, western, southern or near eastern Europe to 3 holdings is strange. If we want to play the rationalization game, then all of these counties have

a) More than enough space for 6 major settlements.
b) More than enough resources for 6 major settlements.
c) The right conditions climate wise for 6 major settlements.

Here is the argument I would make.

If it is on the fringes of what people consider habitable, then give it 2 holdings.
If it is anywhere else, then give it 4 holdings.
If it is coastal or on a rive, then give it 6 holdings.

This adequately addresses the strategic import of being coastal or on a major river versus not. It also takes into consideration territory that is arctic or subarctic and simply not fit for large scale human settlement.

If you play different time periods some provinces have differing amounts of slots so i guess paradox had some trouble with this too. For whats its worth i dont really mind the number of slots, it takes so long to get back your investment on building a ton of cities that i'd rather use the cash for getting more vassals by war.

Well theoretically people should be able to invest massive amounts of money to make area popular/center of trade.

Especially in areas where there aren't that rich areas at immediate surroundings, King throwing in tens of thousands (game currency) to build topnotch roads going everywhere, a bit of 'population transfer' from other cities and you'd definately be able to turn some 2 slot place into 3-4 slot place.

But if there's no 'penalty' from doing this, it would have to be damn expensive.

The point was that if your county is borderline arctic tundra, sure the potential for growth is pretty limited.

However, the rest of Europe is temperate, warm to hot summers and mild winters. It is resource rich. Limiting most counties in central, western, southern or near eastern Europe to 3 holdings is strange. If we want to play the rationalization game, then all of these counties have

a) More than enough space for 6 major settlements.
b) More than enough resources for 6 major settlements.
c) The right conditions climate wise for 6 major settlements.

Here is the argument I would make.

If it is on the fringes of what people consider habitable, then give it 2 holdings.
If it is anywhere else, then give it 4 holdings.
If it is coastal or on a rive, then give it 6 holdings.

This adequately addresses the strategic import of being coastal or on a major river versus not. It also takes into consideration territory that is arctic or subarctic and simply not fit for large scale human settlement.

Why only Europe? how about Africa, Central Asia and Middle east? Plenty of sea and river there + silk road.

How about country that have river and sea but you don't consider habitable? Kemi for example? Is it deserve 6 slot? Almost all Sweden, Norway and Finnish counties have river and coastal.

With your rule pretty much all counties will have 6 holding, except unlucky few that don't have lake/river/coastal have 4, with even more unlucky counties that somehow you deem inhabitable have 2 even when they already have population there with plenty of space, coastal and on a river.

Status
Not open for further replies.