+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Hilarious story about the USS William D. Porter

Arsenal of DemocracyFor the MotherlandHearts of Iron IIIHOI3: Their Finest HourSemper Fi
    500k clubEuropa Universalis IV

Hilarious story about the USS William D. Porter

Last edited by ArmChairAttila; 21-02-2012 at 04:46.

Hearts of Iron III

wow what a great story! I loved the part where it was blank

You might want to make it a bit more obvious that the word READ is a link.

Lmao!
    Obstacles do not exist to be surrendered to, but only to be broken.

General
    For the MotherlandHearts of Iron IIIHOI3: Their Finest HourSemper Fi

Laughing so hard I'm crying!!!!

Crusader Kings IIDivine WindHearts of Iron III CollectionHeir to the ThroneEuropa Universalis III: In Nomine
    EU3 Napoleon's AmbitionEuropa Universalis: RomeRome: Vae VictisEU Rome Collectors EditionEU3 Collectors Edition

Poor shlobs. I pity them, wile I LOL. Man, I hope they didn't make another William D. Porter.
    If you want my help, register your game..
    Senatus Populusque Romanus!

How much mirrors did they break during construction?

i had read it a while back already, and read it again a few weeks ago, and just read it and i cant stop laughing! probably the worst ship ever made

Achtung PanzerHearts of Iron 2: ArmageddonDiplomacyEuropa Universalis 3EU3 Complete
    For the MotherlandHearts of Iron IIIHOI3: Their Finest HourHeir to the ThroneVictoria: Revolutions
    Semper FiVictoria 2Victoria II: A House DividedVictoria II: Heart of Darkness500k club

Blog Entries
    Good story!
    "All warfare is based on deception." Sun Tzu, Ping Fa.

Paradoxian Wiki Network:
    HoI 3 | HoI 2 | EU3 | EU2 | Vicky | Vicky 2

On forum hiatus since 2013

Hearts of Iron IIIEuropa Universalis: RomeSemper Fi

Hilarious, but one question for WWII USN buffs - how long would the original crew have remained serving on that ship through its ill fated war?

First Lieutenant
    Arsenal of DemocracyCrusader Kings IIDarkest HourDungeonlandEU3 Complete
    Divine WindFor the MotherlandHearts of Iron IIIHearts of Iron III CollectionHOI3: Their Finest Hour
    Heir to the ThroneIron CrossThe Kings CrusadeMarch of the EaglesRome Gold
    SengokuSword of the StarsVictoria 2Victoria II: A House DividedCK2: Holy Knight
    500k clubEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-order

This needs to be made a film, am dying of laughter.

Crusader Kings IIEuropa Universalis: ChroniclesFor the MotherlandHearts of Iron IIIHOI3: Their Finest Hour
    Semper FiVictoria 2Victoria II: A House Divided

Absolutely amazing! Thanks for posting!

Hearts of Iron III

The Captain and probably the XO would have absolutely been relieved of command on the spot after the anchor incident on a normal mission. They probably would have been relived of command after the mission was over even if none of the other stuff had happened. The rest of the crew would have seen no repercussions except extra...extra hard training from the next Captain and XO.
    "By denying the truth, your state of suck (the potential) has been fullfilled and you have experienced the metamorphosis, the transformation into suck (the real). You and suck are one, inseparable. Therefore, just as you are, so do you suck. It has become real and therefore the truth." -Nayl-

I had forgotten about this one, simply epic.

Hearts of Iron 2: ArmageddonDarkest HourFor the MotherlandHearts of Iron IIIHOI3: Their Finest Hour
    Semper Fi

Quote Originally Posted by operator0 View Post
    The Captain and probably the XO would have absolutely been relieved of command on the spot after the anchor incident on a normal mission. They probably would have been relived of command after the mission was over even if none of the other stuff had happened. The rest of the crew would have seen no repercussions except extra...extra hard training from the next Captain and XO.
    Strangley, the captain continued to command the vessel until they were already stationed in the Aleutians.
    Beta Tester: HOI2-DD Armageddon 1.3 Patch
    Team Member: Darkest Hour (on Hiatus for School and other projects)

I am an American, not a United Statian, United Stater, USAian or any other PC alternative, live with it.

For the MotherlandHearts of Iron III

I thought that article was taking the piss, or at the least grossly exaggerating the story, until I googled it. Thank you for sharing this, truth is indeed stranger than fiction sometimes.

Arsenal of DemocracyFor the MotherlandHearts of Iron IIIHOI3: Their Finest HourSemper Fi

Quote Originally Posted by xtfoster View Post
    Strangley, the captain continued to command the vessel until they were already stationed in the Aleutians.
    After the Porter was ordered to leave the FDR convoy it arrived in Bermuda, where the entire crew was arrested (a USN first and last lolz) and the captain and some officers were placed on shore leave. I think it was the end of his career.

Quote Originally Posted by Saulius View Post
    Hilarious, but one question for WWII USN buffs - how long would the original crew have remained serving on that ship through its ill fated war?
    My past wife's grandfather served on the same destroyer for 3 years. So not really sure how much the crews were rotated on ships during this time. I have a feeling it was not as much as today.

Hearts of Iron IIIEuropa Universalis: RomeSemper Fi

No it wasn't the end of the Captains' career his only 'punishment' was as with the entire ship's crew, except for the torpedoman with hard labour, shore duty in Bermuda!

According to Wikipedia, quote:
    "Commander Charles M. Keyes (USNA '32) relieved Lieutenant Commander Walter as commanding officer of the William D. Porter on 30 May 1944."

[QUOTE=Saulius;13479439]No it wasn't the end of the Captains' career his only 'punishment' was as with the entire ship's crew, except for the torpedoman with hard labour, shore duty in Bermuda!

"Torpedoman Lawton Dawson, whose failure to remove the torpedo's primer had enabled it to fire at Iowa, was sentenced to hard labor, though President Roosevelt intervened in his case, as the incident had been an accident."

Wikipedia

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast