+ Reply to Thread

Thread: King's claim on de jure kingdom

A Game of DwarvesCities in MotionCrusader Kings IIDeus VultEU3 Complete
    Divine WindHearts of Iron III CollectionHeir to the ThroneMagickaMajesty II Collection
    Penumbra - Black PlagueSword of the StarsVictoria 2Victoria II: A House DividedHearts of Iron: The Card Game
    CK2: Holy Knight500k clubEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-orderEUIV: Call to arms event

King's claim on de jure kingdom

I thought a King had claim on the jure kingdom when its duchies are independant.

I'm pretty sure that for some reason King's don't get claims on the de jure kingdom, only on de jure duchies that they own. I might have it wrong, though.

Divine WindHearts of Iron III CollectionHeir to the ThroneMagickaMajesty II Collection
    Penumbra - Black PlagueSword of the StarsVictoria 2Victoria II: A House DividedHearts of Iron: The Card Game
    CK2: Holy Knight500k clubEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-orderEUIV: Call to arms event

Now I see no reason to usurp a kingdom.

Quote Originally Posted by Dotto1979 View Post
    Now I see no reason to usurp a kingdom.
    1. You gain prestige.
    2. The previous kingdom fractures as all its duchies become independent.
    3. Claimants to those duchies whose claims you press will become your vassals.
    "In the factories and mills, in the shipyards and mines
    We've often been told to keep up with the times
    For our skills are not needed, they've streamlined the job
    And with sliderule and stopwatch our pride they have robbed"

Now I see only one reason because:
    1) You gain a lot more prestige holding a lot of duchies without being king
    2) If you can usurp the title you are probably stronger than the king already

The third option is situational and not always justify to usurp it I think.

Quote Originally Posted by Dotto1979 View Post
    Now I see only one reason because:
    1) You gain a lot more prestige holding a lot of duchies without being king
    2) If you can usurp the title you are probably stronger than the king already

The third option is situational and not always justify to usurp it I think.
    Well personally, number 3 is the one of the most useful ways to expand your kingdom when you have got to that level of power. There's also the fact that if you hold ridiculous numbers of duke titles then all of your vassals will hate you, which will screw up your tax income and make it hard to change laws.
    "In the factories and mills, in the shipyards and mines
    We've often been told to keep up with the times
    For our skills are not needed, they've streamlined the job
    And with sliderule and stopwatch our pride they have robbed"

Recruit
    Cities in MotionCrusader Kings IIDeus VultEU3 CompleteDivine Wind
    For the MotherlandHearts of Iron IIIHOI3: Their Finest HourHeir to the ThroneLeviathan: Warships
    MagickaSemper FiSengokuSupreme Ruler: Cold WarVictoria 2
    Victoria II: A House DividedMount & Blade: WarbandMount & Blade: With Fire and SwordPride of Nations500k club
    Europa Universalis IV: Pre-order

For point 2, if you don't usurp the title you can only declare war once every 10 years without a prestige hit. If you usurp it they fracture and you can declare war on each duchy separately and take their land in a shorter amount of time.

I was holding 6 duchies before usurping scotland and had no relation penalty. Now I'm down to 2 and people don't like me as before, I earn the same amount of prestige, don't have any claimant on any independant duchy from de jure kingdom and no CB.

I fought a war to put my dad on the French throne, most of the vassals went to him after victory.

I think I've changed my mind. Just got a ducal claim from one of my courtiers. Now only one more duchy to conquer Scotland!

+ Reply to Thread