• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Going to war over a prisoner seems a bit stupid, though. Not that you shouldn't be able to do it. As soon as the war would go badly for the one who holds the prisoners, they could just murder the prisoner, say he or she died in prison, and the CB would be invalid, so the war would end. (Also, if you capture the hold in which the person is hold prisoner, you should be able to free him or her right away).

Besides, plotting a prison break is way cooler.
It should then instantaneously turn into an invasion casus belli like someone said, or alternatively, a casus belli which deposes the murderer. Besides that, it's not actually stupid. There's way more stupid things people have fought wars over-- as close as the 19th century,the British declared war on the Qing Empire simply because the latter reportedly insulted their flag.In the Middle Ages for example,the Count of Tripoli declared war on the ERE and pillaged Cyprus simply because his family was insulted when Manuel Komnenos refused to marry his sister due to rumors which suggest his sister and by extension himself, might be products of his mother from an adulterous relationship.An actual rescue war could actually be seen in the form of what Richard the Lionheart did after Isaac Komnenos captured his wife and sister.

Last edited:
Maybe not an invasion... that's a little too powerful. But killing the captive (or letting the captive die in prison) should not be without major consequence.

A CB and a plot should both be in the game. As well as the ability to ransom family members regardless of the realm.

...Hell, there should be an ability to ransom anybody regardless of anything. A 'ransom' button should be included for all characters.

It should then instantaneously turn into an invasion casus belli like someone said, or alternatively, a casus belli which deposes the murderer. Besides that, it's not actually stupid. There's way more stupid things people have fought wars over-- as close as the 19th century,the British declared war on the Qing Empire simply because the latter reportedly insulted their flag.In the Middle Ages for example,the Count of Tripoli declared war on the ERE and pillaged Cyprus simply because his family was insulted when Manuel Komnenos refused to marry his sister due to rumors which suggest his sister and by extension himself, might be products of his mother from an adulterous relationship.An actual rescue war could actually be seen in the form of what Richard the Lionheart did after Isaac Komnenos captured his wife and sister.

I meant that if the prisoner is assassinated and there is no evidence that the one who had the prisoner murdered was the one would held him or her captive, then the war should end instantly. If the prisoner is murdered by the one who holds the prisoner captive, then sure, go get your revenge and kill the one who murdered your prisoner. You should also get the option to forgive and get piety, and vengeance should cost piety. Gaining land from this war would be arbitrary with regard to the way other CB's work ingame.

What would be really nice is if you could simply agree to ransom off prisoners held by a someone. After all, I believe that happened, and it would make sense. Doesn't even need to be restricted to close kin, since the King of France would probably still pay the King of England for the return of a favourite vassal, or the duke of Bavaria to pay for his friend the duke of bohemia when he is locked up by the emperor.

I meant that if the prisoner is assassinated and there is no evidence that the one who had the prisoner murdered was the one would held him or her captive, then the war should end instantly. If the prisoner is murdered by the one who holds the prisoner captive, then sure, go get your revenge and kill the one who murdered your prisoner. You should also get the option to forgive and get piety, and vengeance should cost piety. Gaining land from this war would be arbitrary with regard to the way other CB's work ingame.

If the prisoner dies in an unfortunate accident in jail, the war should shift to a war for indemnity in cash, similar to the fine you pay if fully losing some attacks. If the prisoner was executed it should shift to a depose war, it should never give you land though.

Killing the prisoner has a fair tyranny penalty. It should probably apply on some more-than-realm scale.

The real penalty would be in attitude towards the executioner. One would think that title claims might be more deeply distributed too. Maybe add-a-generation.

The following should be options as many have stated.
1. A CB against a liege for imprisoning close kin/wife.
2. A plot to allow any prisoner to be freed.
3. A Diplomatic option to request the person to be freed (with an optional checkbox to actually pay the fine). I mean if my best friend has my wife imprisoned I should be able to just ask the fellow instead of bribing him.

If your close kin died under suspicious circumstances when they were imprisoned under CUSTODY of another ruler, then that ruler would be held in accountability--since part of the ideal of chivalry is that prisoners should be well cared for.

It's a necro of sorts. But, if we're talking about vanilla, gift the wife gold so that she can ransom herself. However, if she has claims on the captor's titles, she is not likely to be released.

You could always pay to ransom her out, but this could get very expensive. If what i read is true she is the duchess of two duchies, so that ransom could be around 200 gold.

Actually, unless I've entirely missed something, the ruler holding her prisoner has to offer a ransom deal, you can't initiate it.

Really, any character should be able to actively offer to pay ransom for any prisoner's release from any prison anywhere. In the case of a spouse or close relative, you should gain a CB against whoever is holding them prisoner, even if that ruler is not independent. Holding the wife or heir of a powerful ruler in prison should be a very dangerous game.

What you can do, it worked for me sometimes, is just give money as gift to the imprisoned person and hoping the one imprisoning him will accept the ransom from them.
But yes, I agree that some kind of Casus Bellum should be permitted too.

If you guys aren't opposed to the console (I know, such a cheater), there is a way to trigger the event where your character (or which ever character) escapes from prison. Other than that, there is not really any surefire way.

If you guys aren't opposed to the console (I know, such a cheater), there is a way to trigger the event where your character (or which ever character) escapes from prison. Other than that, there is not really any surefire way.

I'm not opposed to the console in this case. In fact, the first time I have an opportunity, I'll probably take a screenshot of myself using the console and publicly feature it in AAR. :p

It's not cheating when you're using the console to accomplish a reasonable goal that should have been in the game from the moment of release.

Going to war over a prisoner seems a bit stupid, though. Not that you shouldn't be able to do it. As soon as the war would go badly for the one who holds the prisoners, they could just murder the prisoner, say he or she died in prison, and the CB would be invalid, so the war would end. (Also, if you capture the hold in which the person is hold prisoner, you should be able to free him or her right away).

*cough* Helen of Troy *cough*

I mean yeah, that may seem extreme, but you're the king!
If you can't succeed in a plot or they won't accept a ransom and you really need the character back, you have a very good reason to go to war.

It all depends on how badly you need the character back, but i see no reason to cut the player's power just because it might seem a little extreme.

They would of course be blocked frome executing the character during the war.

Last edited:

If the prisoner dies, that should not end the CB -- their death in prison is "proof" that the person holding them failed to provide for a noble prisoner as obligated.