+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Why does the Holy War CB end after 1650?

Darkest HourEuropa Universalis: Chronicles

Why does the Holy War CB end after 1650?

What's the thought behind this?
    GENERATION 38: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

"Going to war without France is like going deer hunting without your accordion."
    -General Norman Schwarzkopf
    (Sorry, I just had to! :P)

Ship Simulator Extremes

Crusades were long dead by this time and nationalism/religious heresy was more pressing. Holy Wars end in 1650 in vanilla DW too.

I see. (And yes, I knew this is in vanilla too; I guess I should've posted it there.)
    However I do find the lack of CB's between 1650 and 1750 (that's when the imperialism CB starts, right?) disturbing.
    Star Wars reference!

No, but really, what was the motivation/Casus Belli of the Ottoman Empire, for example, between 1650 and 1750, if it wasn't Holy War nor imperialism?
    GENERATION 38: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

"Going to war without France is like going deer hunting without your accordion."

200k clubAchtung PanzerHoI AnthologyCrusader Kings IIDarkest Hour
    Deus VultEuropa Universalis 3Divine WindFor The GloryFor the Motherland
    Hearts of Iron IIIHOI3: Their Finest HourHeir to the ThroneEuropa Universalis III: In NomineLeviathan: Warships
    MagickaMarch of the EaglesEU3 Napoleon's AmbitionVictoria: RevolutionsEuropa Universalis: Rome
    Semper FiSengokuVictoria 2Victoria II: A House DividedVictoria II: Heart of Darkness
    Rome: Vae VictisMount & Blade: WarbandMount & Blade: With Fire and SwordWar of the RosesRise of Prussia
    500k clubEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-orderEUIV: Call to arms event

Well, it was imperialism. But no one said that's not applicable?

I thought imperialism came from having the correct government type. Maybe this isn't the case in MEIOU?
    I should go.

you also need a very high government tech. cant remember if its 30 or 53

F-CEO of EUIV:MEIOU and Taxes gigau's Avatar
    83 games registered

200k clubEuropa Universalis: ChroniclesEU3 CompleteMount & Blade: WarbandCK2: Holy Knight
    500k clubEUIV: Call to arms eventEUIV: Wealth of NationsEUIV: Conquest of ParadiseEUIV: Res Publica

Roaming zombishly... looking for icooooonsssss !
    Blog Entries
    I'll check the Imperialism CB when i get home from work.
    • Europa Universalis III : MEIOU --- MEIOU Subforum in english | MEIOU on Twitter | MEIOU on Facebook | MEIOU Online Manual •
    • If you have zero infamy, then you're wasting everybody's forgiveness. - Zzzzz...
    •
    • Europa Universalis IV •
    • MEIOU and Taxes - It falls on to me to rule the entire world,... and don't forget to bring me my taxes ! - Download >>> HERE <<< •

M&T Subforum | M&T en Franηais | M&T on Facebook | M&T Wiki | M&T Report Tickets
    • Yes, I should have realised by now that when asking EOOQE, you don't ask if something is possible. You have to ask how - jrgen3 •
    • Ainsi Je Frappe - the level 1 unit sprite revamp. •
    Discussion thread | Vanilla version on Workshop | DLC version on Workshop | M&T version on Workshop | M&T and DLC version on Workshop
    • Awarded the SAS Award for Forum Dedication •
    • Vice-Zombiemaster of the Icon Zombie Club ! •

Imperialism is govt. tech. 53 (average year 1750)

Crusader Kings IIDarkest HourDeus VultEuropa Universalis 3Europa Universalis: Chronicles
    Hearts of Iron IIIHearts of Iron III CollectionHOI3: Their Finest HourVictoria: RevolutionsRome Gold
    Victoria 2Victoria II: A House DividedVictoria II: Heart of DarknessPride of NationsCK2: Holy Knight
    500k clubEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-order

Quote Originally Posted by NorwayBernd View Post
    What's the thought behind this?
    I've always taken it to be based around the Treaty of Westphalia in 1648, that ended the Thirty Year War. One consequence of the treaty was that foreign interference in the religious affairs of any nation were no longer permitted, and "saving souls for the Lord" was no longer a valid cause for war.

At least that's been my take on it.

Quote Originally Posted by bitmapmedivh View Post
    I've always taken it to be based around the Treaty of Westphalia in 1648, that ended the Thirty Year War. One consequence of the treaty was that foreign interference in the religious affairs of any nation were no longer permitted, and "saving souls for the Lord" was no longer a valid cause for war.

At least that's been my take on it.
    Interesting. Thanks a lot.

83 games registered

200k clubEuropa Universalis: ChroniclesEU3 CompleteMount & Blade: WarbandCK2: Holy Knight
    500k clubEUIV: Call to arms eventEUIV: Wealth of NationsEUIV: Conquest of ParadiseEUIV: Res Publica

Blog Entries
    On the other hand, i doubt Imperialism CB should actually be availlable before the XVIIIth century... although we could wonder what we want to model exactly with this CB.
    • Europa Universalis III : MEIOU --- MEIOU Subforum in english | MEIOU on Twitter | MEIOU on Facebook | MEIOU Online Manual •
    • If you have zero infamy, then you're wasting everybody's forgiveness. - Zzzzz...
    •
    • MEIOU and Taxes - It falls on to me to rule the entire world,... and don't forget to bring me my taxes ! - Download >>> HERE <<< •

M&T Subforum | M&T en Franηais | M&T on Facebook | M&T Wiki | M&T Report Tickets
    • Yes, I should have realised by now that when asking EOOQE, you don't ask if something is possible. You have to ask how - jrgen3 •
    Discussion thread | Vanilla version on Workshop | DLC version on Workshop | M&T version on Workshop | M&T and DLC version on Workshop

Quote Originally Posted by gigau View Post
    On the other hand, i doubt Imperialism CB should actually be availlable before the XVIIIth century... although we could wonder what we want to model exactly with this CB.
    I feel like when the Holy War CB dies the Defender of the Faith should no longer get into religious wars that are against same religions or heretic religions...but heathen invasions should still be fair game. If religion for war is really mostly over then why would defender of the faith still engage is wars because of religion??? Especially if its a nationalist war why would DotF enter into the war...other that because the game says so...

Cities in MotionCrusader Kings IICommander: Conquest of the AmericasDarkest HourEU3 Complete
    Divine WindHeir to the ThroneMagickaNaval War: Arctic CircleVictoria 2

Does the Holy war CB disappear at the same time for muslim and christian countries?

Quote Originally Posted by Nivve View Post
    Does the Holy war CB disappear at the same time for muslim and christian countries?
    I believe so, yes. 1st January 1650 for all nations. I'll have to check that to be sure, though.

83 games registered

Blog Entries
    After 1600, religious wars are limited to religious liberations.

I usually imagine the DotF nation to be some sort of religious idealist, even extremist, ΰ la Felipe II of Spain... and would not feel limited by the same considerations towards religious enemies.
    •

+ Reply to Thread